Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig

Ok thinking of getting one but I still question how much I'd use it. What do you all think? Also do they ever run sales or deals on these? I cook ALOT on my egg but still consider myself an advanced novice...still trying to obtain amateur status.

Comments

• I recently got a woo for my small and the AR Oval grid Combo for my large.  Do yourself a favor and get it.  You won't be sorry!
    Flint, Michigan
  • I just got mine and love it. The multiple grids is nice but just having a full sized raised grid setup is worth it by itself.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I got the AR a couple months after i got my large and have used it for every cook that didn't use a wok since. That's been two years.  I would call Tom (owner of CGS) on the phone and discuss what kind of cooks you would like to do, He will not over sell you and get you the correct items for the way you envision using the egg.  Good Luck!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Use it a lot. I've got the rib set up. Here it is with four pork butts that I have on right now. Stone, drip pans and two grates. Use it a lot raised direct, too.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Use mine 80% of the time. It lives in the large
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited December 2012

I would call Tom (owner of CGS) on the phone and discuss what kind of cooks you would like to do, He will not over sell you and get you the correct items for the way you envision using the egg.
    I agree.  He is a true BBQ man and does not steer his customers wrong.  I have a Woo2 and use it a lot.  I'd enjoy getting more of his toys.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I use mine at least once per week.  Fantastic piece of equipment!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Mine never leaves my large.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    I bought mine just after i bought my egg, and used it on my first cook.  When I was lurking on these forums, I saw a lot of posts and recipes as "cooked raised direct" so I'm planning on using the majority of the time for that purpose.  I also like ribs so got the R&B combo to help make baby back ribs every once in a while.
  • I just got mine as a christmas present.  I decided to go this route, as i broke my platesetter.  I can't wait to do some wings and ribs at the same time this weekend!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Besides a good instant read thermometer the AR with extended grid is easily the most critical accessory for the large.  I am amazed at the difference in the quality of the finished product (butts/ribs) cooked on the raised grid vs the felt line in both moisture and appearance.
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136

I'm not sure about running sales but it is something that you will use often.  I have an XL and the amount of meat that I can get on is amazing and that what the main point is to get a lot of extra meat on your grill.  I don't buy the statement that a pork butt will taste or look better smoked higher up vs. at the felt line can't see how it would.  There will be those days when you'll need to cook massive amounts of food and the full AR rig will help you do that.

• So do I not need the plate setter if I have an AR?
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    No, the AR won't work with the plate setter
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Thanks Billyray. That's what I thought.

• Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    I skipped the platesetter when I bought my large egg and held out for the oval adjustable rig.   Best decision I could have made as the flexibility of the AR has really enhanced my ability to be creative and maximize the usefulness of the egg.  Get the AR and don't look back...
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    I have the 3 tier.  Haven't used it yet though.  I imagine I will never use all three, only two more than likely.  We shall see though.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    So ditch the P.S and get a AR.I am planning my first egg this spring and really i am just just learning about all the accessories and was wondering what size stone would be similar in size to the plate setter and give a all round good size for indirect cooks.I believe there is a 13",16" round or oval correct? Do I need a woo or any accessories to go along with the AR to use the stone as a indirect stone on the large egg?

thanks.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • If I just buy the AR need I buy anything else to go with it? Any other accessories?
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    So do I not need the plate setter if I have an AR?

Make sure, however, you buy one of the combos that allows you to go indirect, because the AR alone doesn't come with a stone. I bought the R&B oval combo, and added a spider as well and for once I finally feel like I've completed my Eggcessary collection. Oh wait, I need the grid extender.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Mine lives in my large. Use it in one form or another for every cook. Only time I remove it is to replace it with the spider when I use my wok.
  • I have the AR with the Customer Combo Package which came with the spider, 13" ceramic stone and a few other things. I leave the spider and stone in on most of my cooks. The only time I have not used the AR is when I am using the new wok! I have not done a lot of direct cooks, I cook most things indirect and slow and low. I need to start playing with direct though! I love the AR.
  • Ordered the Adj Rig w/ R&B combo this weekend.  Added the extender.  Have cooked for 5 years without it, but excited to try some larger cooks and have a grid well above the felt line.  Not sure if I will use the PS again, but it never hurts to have a lot of toys. :)>-

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Use my AR  nearly every cook.  Get the setup with the spider and the small pizza stone for an indirect piece.  You can also put the 13" cast iron grate (intended for the small BGE) on the spider and sear close to the coals without building a raging fire. You can do burgers and chicken thighs "raised direct"... High above the lump where flare ups are less likely but you still get a nice brown surface.   The oval stone is nice (but not necessary) for doing ribs (the small stone or the plate setter can cause the ends of a long slab to be a bit overdone where they are exposed to direct heat).  I use the oval stone, oval grids and slide guide set up for ribs and other multi level cooks.  You can store most everything IN the Egg, saving space in your BBQ box for other toys.  
  • My brother just made a stainless steel spider for my LBGE.  I am drawing up an adjustable rig for the next project.  The prices for the Eggsessories are just ridiculous.  You could buy a Weber grill for what an AR costs.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Tom,
    I am a retired mechanical engineer with a boatload of tools and know how, not your typical DIY'er.  I never use a wok on my rig since Asian food is not my favorite.  Pizza is my specialty, been doing it for 45 years.  I really see no need for a Thermapen or the other expensive gadgets.  4000 years ago the hamado cooks had only their experience.  Hey, it saves me more cash for meat.  BTW, I will be making my own cooking grate to fit the spider.  I have a buddy who does tig welding.  And yes, those prices are ridiculous, unless you cannot DIY.  :) 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • OziEgg
    OziEgg Posts: 48

I got the AR a couple months after i got my large and have used it for every cook that didn't use a wok since. That's been two years.  I would call Tom (owner of CGS) on the phone and discuss what kind of cooks you would like to do, He will not over sell you and get you the correct items for the way you envision using the egg.  Good Luck!!

I called Tom and I think he fell off the chair when I told him I was calling from Australia.

Great bloke.

He has just improved the design of the adjustable sliding rig whereby all three levels slide. He is putting together the package for me now.

You guys are so lucky. It will probably cost $500 to ship it here!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I look at it like when you buy a car. I don't mind a guy making a living, I just don't want to be the victim in his makin' a killin'.  Wonder what it would take to cast an Egg? Can't be THAT hard . . . IF you have the tooling and the material and the know-how and the manpower and ..... most of us don't and some of us do. This dynamic makes the world go 'round! You do your best for me and I'll do my best for you and we'll both be better off. OK, CGS and BGE stuff ain't 'cheap'! (cost-wide or quality-wise). For the cost you get best in practice products and they're backed up by their sellers. If you can knock them off in your garage, that's cool, gotta like that, too, for you. I've got BGE and CGS products and am very happy with both. I appreciate what they are, quality and cost included. 
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I continue to fund Tom's jet set lifestyle as long as he continues to make products like the AR and spider (Though I do wish the new spider could be made to hold the 15" CI grid like the old one did).  Oh well, nothing's perfect... close, though.   :)