Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy

Options
Finally nailed it. Cold smoke is way better than hot and adding a little maple syrup to the savory recipe makes perfect bacon.

Best bacon I've ever had.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    perfect CT...i recently got a restaurant depot membership and they have pretty nice looking whole bellies (12-15 lb range for $2.09/lb). Picking one up today. definitely gonna rig the new small up to cold smoke those and probably some oysters. was that skinless or when did you remove?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I removed before because I needed to render it for my tamales.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2012
    Options

Looks good CT.  How long for the cold smoke?  I will be adding some cracked black to the Ruhlman and Polcyn's sweet recipe. 

How long did you cure?  Trying two weeks here, followed with a short soak in water, and an overnight dry in the fridge.  Cold smoke for 10 hours overnight until the fire burns out.  Wake up, slice a piece, sample.  May put on for another 10 hours overnight. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Focker said:

Looks good CT.  How long for the cold smoke?  I will be adding some cracked black to the Ruhlman and Polcyn's sweet recipe. 

How long did you cure?  Trying two weeks here, followed with a short soak in water, and an overnight dry in the fridge.  Cold smoke for 10 hours overnight until the fire burns out.  Wake up, slice a piece, sample.  May put on for another 10 hours overnight. 

s
    I did the Ruhlman/Polcyn savory and added maple syrup. Perfectly sweet and salty. I cured for a week, I.5 hour soak and 14 hour overnight cold smoke. I can't tell you how much better the cold smoke is than hot. Game changer.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Remember you friends :@)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mickey said:

Oink! The cool thing is my 13 year old son wants to learn from scratch. We are going to buy a belly today to get it started. Be ready in a week. I'll save you some
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've always believed one of the best passages in the Bible is where God told Paul all animals were clean...pork, catfish and lobster now were acceptable. Another is in Dueteronomy where the 2nd tithe is taught. They were instructed to bring their culinary heart's desires before Him for a feast....including wine and strong drink. Somehow the baptist missed that one.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mickey said:

Oink! The cool thing is my 13 year old son wants to learn from scratch. We are going to buy a belly today to get it started. Be ready in a week. I'll save you some
    Cool. Will get you free tickets to Salado Fest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• burntbrisket
    Options

Cen-Tex

That looks incredible.  I am really interested in trying the Ruhlman/Poclyn savory recipe.  Do you have copy of the recipes/instructions or a link to the information?

Thanks!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't forget the corollary:  Meatballs are proof that FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monster) loves us and wants us to be happy.