Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL vs large...

So I have been saving christmas cash in hopes of buying my first egg. I was planning on buying a large. My buddy has an XL that he got specifically for me to cook on when the family and I are over at his house. Well given that I am a family man I don't have just loads of time to hang out over there and smoke something low and slow so most of the cooks are grilled type items. Tonight he suggested I just take it over to my house since that is more practice.

Now here is the kicker. I was in the market for the large and not the XL. I have read posts in the past about folks having trouble getting the XL dialed in to an accurate temp consistently. I kind of feel that is somewhat true with my experience with it although it could be because we are usually rushed to cook and I don't have time to patiently dial it in.

I feel that most egg owners have a large and I just want to make sure I am rational in my concerns or not.

Comments

• Given a choice between my large or having more real estate with the XL, I would choose the XL.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Given a choice between my large or having more real estate with the XL, I would choose the XL.
    @rholt - Experience talking - listen!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Good to know. I will take all responses into consideration. Perhaps a little time and more patience with it might help my feelings about it.
  • the temp thing on XL vs large are total BS. You would be having the same issues if he had a large because you don't cook on it everyday. Once you spend enough time with either, your temps will be rock solid
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • rholt said:
    Good to know. I will take all responses into consideration. Perhaps a little time and more patience with it might help my feelings about it.
    BTW, did not mention it, I have a medium, the two of us find it handles all we want just fine. The folks I know who have a large often wish they had an XL. I used a Kamado Joe for a number of years, had the MBGE for less than a year, temp control took about two months to get right. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rholt
    I guess perfect practice makes perfect...
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I've got a large and and an XL but if I could only have one it would be the large. I cook on my large probably ten to one to the XL. The XL is great don't get me wrong, but I really only use it when I need the extra room. Just my 2 cnts.  
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • I have a xl and a med. If I had to only pick one, it would be the xl hands down. There are no issues with temp and the xl. I can dial it to just about where ever I want it.

The XL has been called the "no regrets" model by many people. There is a reason for that. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I have an XL and have no problems with temp control. My longest cook was 22 hours at 250. Temp stayed within 10 degrees of the target throughout the cook.

I want to add another to my arsenal some day, but if I could only have 1 it would be the XL. @travistrick, how do you like the XL medium combo?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • In choosing Eggs, as it is with everything else in life, SIZE MATTERS! Merry Christmas! Just my 2 cents worth ...
  • makis
    makis Posts: 81
    I have been using my XL since July and all I can say is that I never had a problem maintaining a desired temperature, low or high.

Get the XL and then get a small....
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I can't imagine trying to cook on a large.  Of course I have only used an XL for the last year.  And I am only cooking usually for my wife and I plus a couple of friends.  I have had no trouble with temp control with it.  If you can swing it, get the XL.  You will love it.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I can hold temps easily on my XLs but I do have a digiq II that I use for low and slows.  I usually only cook for two but always appreciate the extra cooking area.  It allows me to do indirect and direct at the same time or raised grid on one half and cast iron lower on the other side.  And when your neighbors smell your q, you will be cooking for a lot more people than you ever thought you would.  I have never regretted buying the XL.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    As stated you will be happy with either. I had 2 larges for a long time and recently sold a large and got an XL. The XL is really nice but the only thing I have really needed it for was a 15 pound brisket that would have been hard to fit in the large. the only temp control issue with the XL is it heats up so fast due to so much air flow. You have to watch it for sure or you can easily overshoot the temp but quick heat up time is a plus as long as you know it.
  • If you have the money for the XL, then get the XL.  If you have enough money for the Lg, then get the Lg.  With the right accessories for the Lg, you can cook more than enough.  You can't go wrong!  Enjoy.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• I have never cooked on an XL, but I often wish my Lg. had more space.  Now my debate is whether to by an XL or a small, med., or another lg. as a second egg.  I'd like suggestions from the masses as well.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • rholt
    Well the XL would be provided at a greatly discounted price. Plus it includes the nest, plate setter, and mates.
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    I would get the XL. I have a large and often wish I had just a little more space - even with the adjustable rig. If you get it at a big discount, it's a no brainier.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2012

An XL on the cheap with nest, platesetter, and shelves?!  What are you waiting for?  Go for it!!

Retail a Large + Small combo is almost the same amount of cash as an XL.  Having a mobile egg was a game changer.   Now I can take my egg over to my friends house and request my food uncooked so I can egg it right next to their gassers.  ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• rholt
    Well I just got through talking with my buddy and he said he would give me all of the aforementioned stuff plus the looftlighter for $400. Cha Ching!!
  • I'll give you $500
    Boom
  • rholt said:
    Well the XL would be provided at a greatly discounted price. Plus it includes the nest, plate setter, and mates.

Sold, to the luckiest guy on Earth!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Wanna trade for a large?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • rholt
    Ha ha ha. What is really gonna freak people out was that he originally wanted me to "hold" it for him and cook on it at my house. Eventually it was going to just end up being given to me I imagine. I felt guilty about that though so I opted to buy it from him. He named the price and everything so I can't complain one bit. Now I have to figure out what eggcessiries to get now that my large egg fund money is now just itching to be spent. Ha ha ha.
  • wow. Merry Christmas to you. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    You win.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • rholt
    Ha ha ha. I am a very fortunate guy with a very generous friend.