Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this normal?!

Options
rholt
rholt Posts: 392
So I just finished doing two spatched chickens and they turned out mediocre at best. I guess just seasoning on the surfaces of the birds was my first mistake. The skin was crispy at first when taken off the egg but softened quite a bit while resting. I had forked the skin to let the fat drip out. The main thing I found a little off putting was that the texture of the chicken was a little "mushy" I guess you could say. I had a thermo that registered 180 and 160 in thigh and breast respectively so I know they were cooked to temp. I guess the whole experience was kind of a bummer when it was all said and done. Any suggestions for improvement welcome.

Oh, cooked indirect at 370-390 for a little over an hour. On an XL if it matters.

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Cooking raised direct should give you the crispy skin you seek.  I'm not sure what you mean by mushy texture.  Whenever I cook chicken raised direct, I like the results.

Flint, Michigan
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    First one? Assuming so my wife said the same thing the first time I did one the juiciness of snatch plus the fact we are used to overcooked chicken tends to lead to this reaction. Take it another 5 degrees and it will probably be more like "standard" chicken
  • rholt
    Options
    Ha ha ha. Juiciness of snatch....fairly accurate description. Yes I guess I am more used to the grilled variety of chicken with a somewhat more firm texture. The chicken I produced was juicy but not in a delicious way. More like a questionably bland way.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    haha typed that on my phone.  guess one of those famous autocorrect errors.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    haha typed that on my phone.  guess one of those famous autocorrect errors.  

that is funny right there
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Browninggold
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    First one? Assuming so my wife said the same thing the first time I did one the juiciness of snatch plus the fact we are used to overcooked chicken tends to lead to this reaction. Take it another 5 degrees and it will probably be more like "standard" chicken

Auto correct is pretty neat....funniest thing I've read in a long time.
    U_tarded said:

U_tarded said:

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Indirect chicken, spatched - cook at 425 dome, a little corn starch with your rub, skin will be crispy. Drip pan only, no liquid in it. 

Direct raised at the temps you used. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rholt
    Options
    Good advice. Thanks skiddy.