Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A little issue with Mad Max Prime Rib. Advice needed.

Doing a prime rib for Christmas. Checked out Mad Max's recipe on the Whiz's site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm The instructions basically start with a sear at 500 degrees with jack daniels chips and then back the Egg down to 325 until desired internal temperture is met. Here's the question: If I add smoking chips to a 500 degree Egg, am I getting anything out of the chips? It seems they would burn, not smoke. Am I missing something here? I typicially take anything on the Naked Whiz's site as gospel, but this seems a little off to me. Thoughts or advice please.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    They may burn a bit but you are not searing for long. When you bring the temp down they should just smolder.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    This is one reason I don't use chips - I use chunks which don't burn up as quickly.  I throw on the chunks right before I put on the meat.  Some people here use chips and mix them in with the charcoal so as the fire burns down, it finds new chips.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yet another reason to reverse sear.  I hope you realize that really delicious fatty meat around the outside of the rib roast will be medium well after cooking that high.  That's even if the inside is 125F.
  • IMHO, a sear at 500 will get little or no benefit from smoke, I don't think the meat will accept much smoke as the exterior is being charred. If you want smoke, which I don't like on PR, cook at 250 with smoke and sear at the end. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • IMHO, a sear at 500 will get little or no benefit from smoke, I don't think the meat will accept much smoke as the exterior is being charred. If you want smoke, which I don't like on PR, cook at 250 with smoke and sear at the end. 

Excellent points. At 250, approximately how long per pound should I plan to cook? Probably going to be 4 rib weighing approximately 10 lbs.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I wanna say about 20-30 min/pound if you're cooking to the 125-ish internal temp.  I planned to throw on a 4.7 pound standing rib roast (boneless though) tonight.  I totally forgot about that...good thing you asked.
    edited December 2012
    IMHO, a sear at 500 will get little or no benefit from smoke, I don't think the meat will accept much smoke as the exterior is being charred. If you want smoke, which I don't like on PR, cook at 250 with smoke and sear at the end. 

Excellent points. At 250, approximately how long per pound should I plan to cook? Probably going to be 4 rib weighing approximately 10 lbs.
    4 rib, 6 rib, 2 rib, they all take the same, the thickness of a 2 rib PR bone is almost the same as the length. If the roast got rounder with more weight, it would take more time. PR just gets longer, stays the same thickness. I prefer to take the bones off, then tie them back on to produce a "rounder" roast cross section and make it easier to carve. I suggest you tir even if you leave the bones on. This gives better edge to edge even cooking. The time including a 10 minute rest to bring the egg up to "hot as hell" I'm ready to sear temps and the sear is 3 hours max, you will be at 120 internal in about 2 to 2-1/4 hours. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Doing a prime rib for Christmas. Checked out Mad Max's recipe on the Whiz's site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm The instructions basically start with a sear at 500 degrees with jack daniels chips and then back the Egg down to 325 until desired internal temperture is met. Here's the question: If I add smoking chips to a 500 degree Egg, am I getting anything out of the chips? It seems they would burn, not smoke. Am I missing something here? I typicially take anything on the Naked Whiz's site as gospel, but this seems a little off to me. Thoughts or advice please.
    I've been doing prime rib at 250* or lower for twenty or more years. Way before the egg. It is the best method out there. It gives you consistent colour throughout the roast and the meat is butter tender. For smoke just mix your chips or chunks throughout the lump. At 250* I don't even bother with and end sear.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LS- I sear only one end most time, SWMBO insists on well done, so that's the end she gets. Often still have to "boil" it in au jus. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Another vote for low&slow-too easy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.