Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Christmas gift?

What's your best Christmas gift ever! Mine was my youngest daughter! Born on Christmas Eve! 2nd a red line bike Santa gave me when I was 6.
Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I still want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!
  • A go-cart when I was 10. 
    But I think I just topped it with the 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack I bought myself.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I got a kegerator last year that you can set the temp to the exact degree down to 32 degrees so I can age meat in it also if I ever let it stay empty long enough.
  • All I ever wanted growing up were rubber olive green soldiers (about 3" long).  We'd make forts and bunkers and carefully place the soldiers in position.  I guess that's the boys' version of playing dolls.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    I would have to go with my XL Green Egg I got last Christmas.
  • I still want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!
    You will still shoot your eye out....

@kosko - same thing only she was the third in a planned family of two, made it an interesting Christmas for her 3 and 1 year old brothers. That was 34 years ago and she still never lets us forget that she wants a birthday cake with Christmas dinner. Because she was "Made in the USA" when I worked there in the late 70's, it was always hard to have a kids party on Christmas day so we celebrated her birthday on July 4th. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    For reals now, I'd have to say the best was my first mountain bike as a kid and my snowboard as a "bigger" kid. Both totally unexpected. Now the best will have to be my daughter's reaction to her gifts start next Tuesday, her first Christmas. I don't even know if I am even getting a gift, we've spent our budget on her and others.
  • I got this pink bunny suit from Aunt Martha. I like to wear it and scare people. Maybe its scar people?
    Flint, Michigan
  • By far the best Christmas gift I could ever receive was watching my first born son's eyes when he saw the presents under the tree his first Christmas he was old enough (2) to realize what was going on and open up his gifts! I cannot wait until Christmas morning this year, he is 3 now and a completely different little guy with so much personality. It is the gift that will keep on giving. Hands down, nothing better for me.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• My best was a dog we got when I was about 10.  It was a mixed breed, but the best dog I've ever had.  Moved around alot during those years and it was always great to have at least one friend you could count on.  2nd.  My LBGE.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I don't remember my childhood Christmases fondly. Maybe that's why I try to make my kid's special. When they were little we would always read twas the night...and the story of Jesus birth in Luke. After that we would go check the Norad website to see where Santa was on the radar and after that put them to bed. I always went outside their window and shook jingle bells while Momma tucked them in.
    I still spoil them but now with iPhones, iPods, iMac, etc....so, i Broke. I know the reason for the season but Santa is for kids.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    All I ever wanted growing up were rubber olive green soldiers (about 3" long).  We'd make forts and bunkers and carefully place the soldiers in position.  I guess that's the boys' version of playing dolls.
    We'd get the smaller ones, build  a few armies.  Create battle fields and blow 'em up with firecrackers. 
    edited December 2012

We live in the middle of Texas. One year (only year to do this) we went to MiddleBerry (? spelling) and Stowe Vt. This was 25 years ago and daughter was about 12/13. We did not buy anything to bring for Christmas. Went to the Inn that you (if you are old enougth) saw in the TV show by Bob Newart where he had the Inn. The outside was just as you saw on the show, the inside shots nothing as on the show (sound stage in Ca). Anyway Christmaseve we each bought a present for the other two (mittens, etc).

Guys after 65 Christmas's that is the ONLY Christmas (including last year) I can remember the Christmas and the presents. It was very special and I can't belive have not done it again. While the kids are young enough, think about it.

And to make it better it snowed on the 24th and had a very white Christmas.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• All I ever wanted growing up were rubber olive green soldiers (about 3" long).  We'd make forts and bunkers and carefully place the soldiers in position.  I guess that's the boys' version of playing dolls.
    We'd get the smaller ones, build  a few armies.  Create battle fields and blow 'em up with firecrackers. 
    We'd also do that with model cars or airplanes.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    All I ever wanted growing up were rubber olive green soldiers (about 3" long).  We'd make forts and bunkers and carefully place the soldiers in position.  I guess that's the boys' version of playing dolls.
    Firecrackers and lighter fluid.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mickey said:
    Flamethrowers were cans of mom's hairspray and a lighter.  I was a bad kid.
    We used to do the same, although we only had fire crackers around new years.  Other times we would just blow up the troops with an air raid, which was usually made up of dirt clods.  My Mom would dig up a green soldier now and then while gardening in her flower bed, years later.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Mickey said:

We would set up the green army (GI's) and then the opposing grey army (Germans) in a battlefield. Then taking turns, if I was the GI's, I would shoot my BB gun at the grey army. You try to pick off as many as possible with each shot. Last one standing wins.

Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2012
    Christmas of 1985...my mother didn't have a lot of money so my brother and I weren't expecting anything. I actually saw our present, but my mother told me not to get excited because she was just holding it for our cousins.

When we unwrapped our Nintendo, my brother and I were ecstatic! I recall glancing at my mom and seeing how happy and proud she was. It took 20 years to understand why my mom was so happy...when my children helped me understand the true meaning of Christmas.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Not a present, but one of my fondest Christmas memories was going skiing one year as a kid. We didn't take any presents and it started snowing Christmas eve. We got up early and were the first on the mountain and got to ski powder by ourselves, just me, my brother and my mom and dad until people started showing up around 11. It musta been a foot and half to 2 feet deep.

No kids yet, but enjoying reading about other getting to experience Christmas throught their kids' joy and excitement.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey said:

Guys after 65 Christmas's that is the ONLY Christmas (including last year) I can remember the Christmas and the presents. 

That's because you've been drunk on your ass all the other Christmases.  =))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• We would set up the green army (GI's) and then the opposing grey army (Germans) in a battlefield. Then taking turns, if I was the GI's, I would shoot my BB gun at the grey army. You try to pick off as many as possible with each shot. Last one standing wins.
    The video games of today can't hold a candle to the imagination that ran through our heads.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

We set em up in the sand box, poured gas on the sand and watched them burn. Some of the worst burns of my life from a melted drip of plastic army man or plastic airplane
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    edited December 2012
    Nola is Sid from Toy Story

Evidence:

• henapple

Mickey said:

We would set up the green army (GI's) and then the opposing grey army (Germans) in a battlefield. Then taking turns, if I was the GI's, I would shoot my BB gun at the grey army. You try to pick off as many as possible with each shot. Last one standing wins.

The video games of today can't hold a candle to the imagination that ran through our heads.

You're sounding old

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

The wife and the kiddos bought me a Kimber 1911.45 last Christmas.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/compact-ii-pro-carry-ii/stainless-pro-carry-ii

Other than that, there is nothing better than good health and relaxing at home with good food, whiskey and family. Gonna keep the kiddos a little closer this year.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

1987 Skyway Street Styler, brother got a Schwinn Predator.  Was a cold winter Christmas Day and we are rolling around the neighborhood with numb hands and tears rolling down our cheeks.  Good memories. 

Son and nephew are getting their first Schwinns this x-mas.  Gift to myself this year is a Specialized Roubaix.    :))

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• henapple
    Plano_JJ said:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/compact-ii-pro-carry-ii/stainless-pro-carry-ii

Other than that, there is nothing better than good health and relaxing at home with good food, whiskey and family. Gonna keep the kiddos a little closer this year.

Plano_JJ said:

Man, that's nice. Carry?

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Yes, its a shooter too.
  • henapple
    I use a HK P30. Love the look of those Kimbers though. Really sweet.