Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken of the sea

Options
Anyone have a good tuna recipe? Grilled out smoked. Thanks.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

This is not an egg cook, but a good change of pace. From Tyler Florence.

Ingredients

Tuna Salad:

• 3 cups good quality canned tuna (packed in water), drained
    • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
    • 4 cornichons, chopped
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
    • 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
    • 2 tablespoons capers, drained
    • 1 lemon, juiced
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/4 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
    • 2 everything bagels, sliced and toasted
    • 1/4 cup cream cheese
    • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced crescents
    • 1 vine-ripened tomato, sliced
    • 1 seedless cucumber, sliced
    • 4 Bibb lettuce leaves

Directions

Begin with the tuna salad. Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Take cut bagels and toast under a hot broiler until golden brown. While still hot smear the bottom with the cream cheese immediately. Top with a scoop of the tuna salad and then layer with red onion, tomato, cucumber and lettuce. Add the top half of the bagel and serve.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I've given up on tuna outside. We like it rare, and I can't seem to get a sear quick enough. If you're determined to cook outside, I might suggest a roaring hot CI pan. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • wannabeegger
    Options
    I cook tuna steaks on the cast iron griddle,

Seasons with equal parts -  I just roll the tuna through the seasoning
    Spicy Montreal steak seasoning
    Chinese 5 spice blend

get the egg up around 500 and sear for 30 seconds a side. Come out nice and cool red
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Tuna cooks so fast that it's almost not worth firing up the egg for it.  I just sear in a CI pan on the range.

Anyway, here's a great recipe - I made it once because C-T's picture of the plated tuna looked so good.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145144
    Tuna I coat in olive oil and sear it on a charcoal chimney on a cast iron grate! Coat it with sesame seeds if you're into that kind of thing. I prefer black and blue to rare.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Any other good seafood/fish on the egg? I've done salmon. Just looking for a change of pace and a little healthier.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Olive oil can taste terrible heated too hot - virgin oil has a low smoke point.  I'd recommend using an oil with a higher smoke point - grapeseed, peanut or something.
    Options
    This is one thing I would do on a gaser.  lol.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I like to take tuna or salmon, marinate in olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt and cilantro for 2 hours.  the do raised direct at about 350 until 135 internal (about 7 or 8 minutes until it just starts to get a little flakey).  Pull it and chop it.  Warm corn tortillas serve with cilantro, cubed avocado, queso fresco (or any mexican style cheese), a little lettuce and some fresh salsa.  Great fish taco quick and easy.  One of those great for guests quick and easy fairly healthy if you don't eat a ton of tortillas.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Tuna is too much $$$ for what you get (or at least what I know how to buy which is I have no idea what to buy)
    My local fish lady (can't call her a monger) helps, but salmon and other fish is so much nicer. I've had good tuna, just not my favorite. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Skiddy, you're doing the right thing - buy the local seafood.  I've noticed that there's lots of low-grade frozen tuna in freezer sections.  You get what you pay for, for the most part, but there's a huge difference in tuna species and grades. 

I had some blue-fin earlier this year that blew me away.  Ahi is a crap shoot. I've had good and bad.  If you can't stand eating tuna rare or MR, don't buy fresh tuna.  If you find something good, stick with it.  Tuna can be a delicacy, but don't enjoy it more than once a week or so, it's an apex (well, in the sea) predator, and the mercury levels are in the PPM levels (and lots of that is methyl mercury).  People actually get sick who eat too much of it.  In moderation, it's good for you.
    Options
    Skiddy, you're doing the right thing - buy the local seafood.  I've noticed that there's lots of low-grade frozen tuna in freezer sections.  You get what you pay for, for the most part, but there's a huge difference in tuna species and grades. 

I had some blue-fin earlier this year that blew me away.  Ahi is a crap shoot. I've had good and bad.  If you can't stand eating tuna rare or MR, don't buy fresh tuna.  If you find something good, stick with it.  Tuna can be a delicacy, but don't enjoy it more than once a week or so, it's an apex (well, in the sea) predator, and the mercury levels are in the PPM levels (and lots of that is methyl mercury).  People actually get sick who eat too much of it.  In moderation, it's good for you.
    Yeah, so no extra tuna for all you pregnant SWMBO's out there. Especially since methyl mercury is the stuff that hangs around in our bodies, as opposed to ethyl mercury.