Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fire goes out

Options
when i put my platesetter in the fire goes out , and sometimes when cooking low the fire goes out

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    That doesn't really make sense. Check to make sure the grate and holes aren't clogged.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Don't start closing the bottom vent and the daisy wheel either when you place the plate setter. I leave my vents fully open when I place my plate setter, due to it taking longer to reach my desired temp. I start closing my vents when my desired temp is reached.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Kosko said:
    Don't start closing the bottom vent and the daisy wheel either when you place the plate setter. I leave my vents fully open when I place my plate setter, due to it taking longer to reach my desired temp. I start closing my vents when my desired temp is reached.
    In fact don't even put the DFMT daisy wheel cap on at all. Bottom vent open and no cap. The cap and the setter will restrict airflow, but not to the extent that the fire will go out. 
    If you have the OEM BGE grate, the fire might go out on LBGE/MBGE. (Don't know about the other sizes) The cast grate can plug with small lump pieces, which is why many folks use a wiggle rod (bent coat hanger looks like ash tool, stick it in thru bottom vent pointed up to open grate holes). Make sure the vent hole in the fire box are open, the ash cleared out, larger pieces on the grate, light it and see if it burns differently. If not, that is you have confirmed air flow is OK, the only other thing is change lump brand. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    You might even consider a HighQue grate. I'm a huge fan. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options

The BGE fire is air flow controlled (assuming you have enough lump and got it going).  So, temperature control (aka fire volume) is a function of the amount of air flow through the bottom and out the top.  You can control by top or bottom vent or combinations of each (preferred for low temp cooks).  The only way a fire goes out is too little air-flow (thus the above posts about clogged grate holes) but adding a platesetter or anything else will not impact the fire volume-you will see a dome thermo temperature change downward due to the cold mass but everything will return to stable conditions-if all was stable before.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.