Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 Chickens?

Options
Hey Folks, I just got my BGE (L) this weekend and after a successful first cook, (chicken satay and a london broil), I'm planning on doing four chickens on Friday for some hungry Texans. I've been going over it in my head and I think 4 chicken will fit on the grate.

I've seen it done with a beer can or the vertical rack and then I saw Rathburn's video on the BGE website and he just tosses it on, sans rack. 

I think this will suit my needs. My plan is to do a rub (tbd) on the chickens, use my plate setter and maverick 732 probes and keep it around 350 until done. I'll probably throw some mesquite chunks on their, too. Am I missing anything?

Like I said, this would be my second cook so I'd appreciate any tips! Thanks!

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I have a large and I don't believe four chickens will fit in the space a platesetter gives you.  I've never tried it so perhaps I'm wrong, but I think I'm right about the space.

The link you posted shows Rathburn cooking on an XL, not a large if that makes a difference.

Lastly, poultry absorbs smoke very well making it possible to "over smoke" them.  Mesquite is very strong so go easy.  I like a milder wood like apple or cherry.

Welcome to the family and good luck with your cook!

Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What Fred said.  The plate setter creates a "shadow" from the coals.  Stuff hanging over can overcook.  If you can get them to fit, orient the birds so the dark meat is in the hottest areas.  You could use foil and make a bigger shadow.  Be careful with using too much smoke - mesquite is strong for poultry.
    What Fred said.  The plate setter creates a "shadow" from the coals.  Stuff hanging over can overcook.  If you can get them to fit, orient the birds so the dark meat is in the hottest areas.  You could use foil and make a bigger shadow.  Be careful with using too much smoke - mesquite is strong for poultry.

Thanks Nola.  One thing I'd like to add to this is if you are increasing the shadow larger than the platesetter, you don't want to make it so large it overly restricts or obstructs airflow. 

BTW, I really like the Gorn icon!

Flint, Michigan
  • tortio
    Options
    Thanks, folks!  That's all great advice.  I guess I need to measure everything out. 

Thanks for the nice comment about the Gorn.  I've been using it for years.  I always get a kick out of it. My Dad went to college with the guy who wore it in that episode.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Your Dad went to college with the Gorn guy! I don't know why that's hillarious, it just is. Did he hiss and make slobbering sounds, too or just try tackling Kirk like a pee wee football player?
    Flint, Michigan
  • tortio
    Options
    I know! It is hilarious!  I'll ask him about the slobber the next time I talk to him!

So, now my plan is to do three birds with applewood chips. Then when they are done, I'll toss on the fourth!

Thanks for the tips, guys!
  • tortio
    Options
    So, just as a follow up, I did end up cooking all four chickens.  Three easily fit on the grill and I did the last one by itself.  My expectations where shattered! They came our amazing!  I used a handfull of applewood chips and my maverick 732 and let them sit on the BGE until 165.  I also put some tinfoil on the tips of the wings and drumsticks.  That seemed like a good move, too!

Thanks for all this tips!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Looks good. You did well to get three on. 
    Will they stand vertical on a large? Little Steven does them inverted (standing on their heads like beer can) seems you might get four on if you had the head room. Reason for inverting is the egg is hotter in the dome than at the grid in the indirect mode. LS gets the legs and thighs up in the heat, so they cook to 175 while the breasts cook to 160 - hate to admit it, but it is genius. 
    @tortio - Welcome to the zoo. Sorry just saw the post now, so late to the thread. Good looking birds, well done!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That's great that it turned out so well!  It looks like you and those hungry Texans feasted like kings!
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks great...congrats.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN