Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advise for first rib cook

I'm going to try baby back ribs this weekend. Any advise? And a recipe for homemade rub?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited December 2012
    Turbo Ribs 350 indirect 1hr 40 min. Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works Also invite you to the Salado EggFest March 16th.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Or go all out: Clay's Spare Ribs Clay's Sunday Spare Ribs Description: Smoked and grilled spare ribs are fun to cook and the egg does a good job of keeping them moist and tender. I\'m cooking hotter with shorter times for the most flavorful spare ribs that I have ever made. Here is my spare rib recipe for a Sunday afternoon BBQ for you to enjoy! Ingredients: Two meaty and well trimmed St. Louis cut spare ribs Yellow mustard Seasoning rub of your choice BBQ sauce (optional) Clay\'s Rib Juice (basting sauce) 1 cup apple juice 1 cup light olive oil or canola oil 1/2 cup cider vinegar 1/2 cup prepared yellow mustard 2 Tablespoons chili powder 4 teaspoons Morton Nature\'s Seasons Blend seasoning salt 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional) Instructions: Make the Rib Juice for basting a day ahead. Simply whisk together the ingredients and store in the refrigerator in a plastic squirt bottle. Take out to warm up to room temp before using. The Rib Juice will help keep the meat moist and tender and is also great for "dry ribs". Plan on cooking 2 1/2 hours. Load the firebox mixing in smoking wood if you like smoke flavor. Start the cooker 45 min. ahead of when you plan on cooking so it is fully heated and stable at 350 degrees with an indirect setup and a raised grid. Plate setter legs up, drip pan on plate setter and grid on legs is a standard indirect setup. I like hickory or apple wood when smoking spare ribs. Trim off excess fat from spare ribs, remove the membrane from the bone side and using a spoon, scrape off fat deposits along bone. Lightly slather yellow mustard then dust with seasoning rub to both sides. Place the two spare ribs flat, bone side down and side by side in the cooker. Check dome temp as there might be a drop in temp from the cold ribs. Slight adjustment to the vent may be necessary to slowly get back up to 350 degrees. Cook for one hour. Flip spare ribs to bone side up, baste bone side with Rib Juice and cook for another hour. Remove ribs and change setup to direct heat raised grid. It is important to be at or near gasket level with the grid when grilling direct so the spare ribs do not burn. Set spare ribs back in the cooker bone side down and baste Rib Juice on meat side. Grill for 10 minutes. The cooker will jump up in temp, keep under 400 degrees. Flip ribs bone side up and continue basting with Rib Juice or you can brush on BBQ sauce at this time. Grill for 10 minutes. Flip ribs bone side down, baste with Rib Juice or brush on BBQ sauce to meat side and grill for 10 more minutes. Then your done! Allow the ribs to cool for a few minutes before serving while your family and friends go crazy with anticipation. Enjoy! Notes: Watch your temps and hot spots. Rotate accordingly. This recipe is for spare ribs, not for baby backs which is a different cut of rib. Good luck, have fun! Number Of Servings: 6 Source: Tip...The ends of a rib rack can sometimes be at the outside edge of the grid and exposed to more heat. Adding alum. foil on the grid just under the rib end will help prevent overcooking.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited December 2012
    Turbo for me. This is what I do for BB's or spares.

Removed membrane, slathered with mustard and applied the rub.  Placed back in the fridge until LBGE was up to temp.

LBGE at 350 dome, indirect, legs up, drip pan with 50/50 mix of apple juice and water.  Placed 4 chunks of peach wood on each side of the egg.  Since I had 3 racks of ribs I had to use my extended grid.  2 racks of ribs went on the bottom and 1 on the top, making certain they did not hang past the drip pan.  Ribs went on bone side down for 1 hour.  Then I flipped them bone side up for 1 hour.  After the hour the top rack was passing the bend test but the bottom racks went for about 20 mins. more before they had a drawback and passed the bend test.  Sauced with 50/50 mix of Blues Hog and Sonny's Sweet sauce.  Let them rest for about 15 mins and enjoyed.

Usually I spray the ribs with just apple juice every 30 mins.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146143/finally-got-to-fire-up-the-egg#latest
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • We like Meathead's Memphis dust, also works for pulled pork. 
    I like dry ribs, turbo style like those above, other half likes those done 3-2-1 at 250, indirect. 3 hours on the grid, 2 hours in foil with some juice, wine, water - anything wet, 1 hour with some BBQ sauce. 
    It is all good. bend test and bit of pull  back on the bones. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Mickey: thanks, and I do plan to go to Salado.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • I've done Dave's way and really like it. I sometimes find that spraying every 30 minutes can occasionally get it too wet and prevent a nice crust from forming. Just keep an eye on it - if it looks like your rub is running or clumping, either decrease the frequency of the spray or spray from further away from the ribs to make it more of a "mist."
  • I've done Dave's way and really like it. I sometimes find that spraying every 30 minutes can occasionally get it too wet and prevent a nice crust from forming. Just keep an eye on it - if it looks like your rub is running or clumping, either decrease the frequency of the spray or spray from further away from the ribs to make it more of a "mist."
    Very true....I would also call it more of a misting.  But I have done them misting and not misting and both have been very good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Check out Car Wash Mike's recipe on this site. Mike was famous among the Egghead world because of his recipe.

LBGE and Mini
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited December 2012

Springram said:
    Check out Car Wash Mike's recipe on this site. Mike was famous among the Egghead world because of his recipe.

+1 can't go wrong with Carwash Mike method..

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs