Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Starter Placement & Looftlighter Lighting Tool

GBC
GBC Posts: 58
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
Still learning...

Where is the best place to place the Safe Start Fire Starters?  Also has anyone ever used the Looftlighter 70018 Fire Lighting Tool?

goo.gl/wcby7 - Amazon link

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you're going to do a low and slow, light the center top.  I threw away all my wax starters in the chimenea one night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7Lm6_bCf0
    ...forgot to add, if you're going to sear or run hot for whatever reason, light more spots, or let it get going and move the burning lump over non-burning.  on top.

I use the larger one on the Large BGE and the smaller one on the Mini's

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I have the loft and like it. I will say the first place I try and light, it takes well over a minute to get going. After that, the 2nd and 3rd place (if needed) light pretty quickly.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    FYI, I saw the Looflighter at Williams-Sonoma Outlet for 50% off(39.99) around the giving of thanks holiday. They were getting rid of the summer stuff. They may or may not still have them, worth checking out if there is one nearby. 
  • GBC
    GBC Posts: 58
    Mickey said:

I use the larger one on the Large BGE and the smaller one on the Mini's

Do the eggs not get hot enough on the outside to melt your sliding?  
  • nolaegghead
    ..or is it hardiplank?
    @GBC, I have a similar proximity to siding as @Mickey with my medium and I have had no issues.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    GBC nope... Hardiplank.  Now the Large is not that close but that is where the Mini sits most of the time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    I've notice that too, good idea smitty.
    Wagner heat gun....works great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:

If one had electricity available closeby I would think a electric coil would be better than a heat gun as you could at least leave it unattended for a matter of time.  Have you ever laid the heat gun in the lump and walked away for a few minutes?  I do like to use a method that does not introduce any "flavor" to the cook.   

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2012
    The heat gun is the best thing ever. You don't need to walk away the coals.are glowing after a minute or 2. If I am in a hurry after I get it going I hang it over the side of the egg to blow air into the egg and get the whole bed of charcoal going. You obviously cant just leave the heat gun in the egg cause in 5 minutes your whole gun would be melted but a fast hot egg isn't a bad thing.
  • I'll stick to my FireBlox.  They are cheap, easy and fast.  $20 for 144 blocks and they burn clean with no taste what so ever.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • henapple said:

If one had electricity available closeby I would think a electric coil would be better than a heat gun as you could at least leave it unattended for a matter of time.  Have you ever laid the heat gun in the lump and walked away for a few minutes?  I do like to use a method that does not introduce any "flavor" to the cook.   
    I use a coil starter, had it since the Weber days, so just continue to use it. Put it on top, pile a few pieces of lump on the coils and plug it in. I do have power right beside the egg, no extension cord needed. I use the timer on my Maverick, set for 7 minutes and go do something else. The Mav reminds me to take it out... if I forget. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I just used mine for the first time this weekend and loved it at first use. WG lit in about a minute when it normally takes 10-15 minutes to light well. Glad I bought it, and it makes a weekday dinner cook a little more feasible.
    Dunedin, FL
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Debated about the looflighter because of the cost, but broke down and bought it. Love it! Quick start even on new lump (not sure @hapster what is different for me). I even stick it in the bottom vent to eggcelerate the start. Great for the quick relight if I manage to snuff out a long slow overnight cook
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    I use the looft often. Great little tool. Does take about a minute to get going but once you get one spot going the other spots light in a fraction of the time.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Something inherently wrong with running an extension cord to a BGE. I'm a firm believer in mapp gas. Just my opinion.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • OziEgg
    OziEgg Posts: 48
    edited January 2013
    Love the Looft.

I don't use any starters with it.

I do use an Eggcellerator as well though.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    I bought the BGE electric starter for a nice cool $40 and then it melted one day when I forgot I had started the fire.  I was PISSED...until I found almost the same damn electric lighter at Lowes for $10.  I love them!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• GGGNAT
    GGGNAT Posts: 14
    LL all the way.  Takes about a minute to get lump going.  If it takes longer you are either doing something wrong or your LL is defected.

Plus people are amazed when they come over.
  • Eggcelsior
    Amateurs.

I use liquid oxygen. I'm ready to go in 3 seconds.

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Summertime...I use the simple starter blocks from Ace. I use one block, cut into two pieces and spread a few inches apart in the center of the coal.

Winter time (and when in a hurry otherwise).....I use a propane or map torch. If I'm in a real hurry to get a hot one going, I can use the weedburner with propane, or I can use the Turbo Torch with acetylene.....that really gets it going quickly.

I already have two heat guns....so buying a looft didn't make much sense for me. My Egg dealer was very anxious to sell me one though.
  • Eggcelsior
    I wish I had picked one up at the WS outlet when I went before Thanksgiving. They had them 50% off for 39.99.  Oops.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    I just got a Looftlighter about two weeks ago and love it.  It gets my lump going in 60 - 90 seconds. 

I did partially melt the tip of it though (still works)...just touch the LL to the lump, don't stick it down into the lump where there isn't adequate airflow around it or as the lumps starts burning it can melt the aluminum shield on it.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I use the Looft Lighter and love it. I bought it with my large and actually haven't lit it any other way. I use a small propane torch when I take my small BGE camping or to a friends house. 

Not trying to hijack your post but @hapster I use Ozark Oak and have found it lights much faster with new vs the leftover lump. So I try to put a layer of fresh stuff on top to light. Have you tried different lump? 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Always interesting to see the many ways we start our fires.  For me personally, it's all about time management.  I use Rutland's Fire Starters for wood stoves, fireplaces, etc.  Toss one in, light and leave dome open, prep food, return in about 15 minutes, close dome, adjust vents.  If I'm camping or travelling, paper towel and a little oil loosely tied in a knot works fine. 

Guess if I had other uses for a torch I would look into it.  Seems like overkill at this point.  May be more "mangrately" if I used a torch to light my fire, to heat up my mangrates.   :D

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Since we're on the subject, any tips for getting a high heat cook started like 600F+? Light in the front and back? More fire starters spread around? Electric fire starter? Or does it depend on how much lump you fill the egg with at the start?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.