Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of lamb: boneless

First post here. My wife bought me a large BGE for my 40th a few monts ago. I've loved it so far. I've mostly just been lurking the forum here, trying to learn. Thanks to all of you for posting detailed recipes. I am going to try the slow roasted leg of lamb recipe that is in the BGE cookbook tomorrow. I wasn't able to find a bone-in leg, just a boneless one - 5.5 lbs. the recipe says it will need 2-2.5 hrs at 300, but I assume that is for bone-in. The recipe calls for getting the leg temp to 140. My questions are: 1) about how long should a boneless leg take? 2) the recipe doesn't call for any wood chunks, but what would work well with lamb? If anyone has any tips or other recipes I should consider, please fire away! Thanks!
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've done a zillion lamb legs, and they're easy.  The time sounds about right, don't sweat it.

I rub with salt, pepper, rosemary (fresh, diced fine) and garlic (fresh crushed or powdered).  Get in all the nooks and cranies - there will be many pockets you can apply the rub to if boneless - that's good.  You don't need any oil or mustard or anything. Lamb has plenty of fat, what sticks, sticks.

Roast indirect to 135 internal.  Then sear the bejesus out of it.  Something about seared lamb that turns on the cave-man inside me.  Let it rest for a while.  Make a horseradish sauce (look it up, any will do).  Also, yogart/mint/S&P (even with horseradish) work well. 

Wood smoke - fruit wood, maybe oak or hickory - lamb is delicate - I don't use much, if any.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    Yeah VI, for a long time boneless lamb leg was a great deal - American and New Zealand lamb.  We love it.  It's almost like a London broil.  Not gamey at all like mutton (I need to almost stew mutton to enjoy it). 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    edited December 2012
    So for the sear, I take the placesetter off, and place the leg right on the grate, right? Should I raise the temperature of the egg before I sear them? What temp is good for searing?
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    I've done a zillion lamb legs, and they're easy.  The time sounds about right, don't sweat it.

I rub with salt, pepper, rosemary (fresh, diced fine) and garlic (fresh crushed or powdered).  Get in all the nooks and cranies - there will be many pockets you can apply the rub to if boneless - that's good.  You don't need any oil or mustard or anything. Lamb has plenty of fat, what sticks, sticks.

Roast indirect to 135 internal.  Then sear the bejesus out of it.  Something about seared lamb that turns on the cave-man inside me.  Let it rest for a while.  Make a horseradish sauce (look it up, any will do).  Also, yogart/mint/S&P (even with horseradish) work well. 

Wood smoke - fruit wood, maybe oak or hickory - lamb is delicate - I don't use much, if any.

Nola, perfect spices for any type of lamb cook, but if your Greek you got to have some olive oil and lemon in there too! Dit some t-bone chops from Costco tonight awfully good. I find a little red oak goes well with lamb.
    George
  • Followed the recipe in the cookbook, added the searing.  It came out great.  Taste was closer to steak than lamb.  
    lamb.jpg 697.6K
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Looks really good great cook
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Nice looking leg, @JohnInCarolina.  It was nice to see VI active on this thread too.

Digging up bones isn't all bad. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • First post here. My wife bought me a large BGE for my 40th a few monts ago. I've loved it so far. I've mostly just been lurking the forum here, trying to learn. Thanks to all of you for posting detailed recipes. I am going to try the slow roasted leg of lamb recipe that is in the BGE cookbook tomorrow. I wasn't able to find a bone-in leg, just a boneless one - 5.5 lbs. the recipe says it will need 2-2.5 hrs at 300, but I assume that is for bone-in. The recipe calls for getting the leg temp to 140. My questions are: 1) about how long should a boneless leg take? 2) the recipe doesn't call for any wood chunks, but what would work well with lamb? If anyone has any tips or other recipes I should consider, please fire away! Thanks!
    “months”
  • Man did I overcook that thing, Jesus.
  • nolaegghead
    loser
    I just turned 40.  Didn't get that golf cart I wanted. Had to buy my own egg. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2019
    thetrim said:
    Nice looking leg, @JohnInCarolina.  It was nice to see VI active on this thread too.

He is the man of stir fry on the egg!!   

Wonder why he doesn’t hang out here anymore?    I miss his post.  

For some reason him,Mickey and chubbs to name a few have moved on or only post minimally   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    thetrim said:

He is the man of stir fry on the egg!!   

Wonder why he doesn’t hang out here anymore?    I miss his post.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Young pups

Johns Creek, Georgia