Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet & Sour Chicken on the Wok

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
The temperatures got up to nearly 60 degrees today and in December this is something to be celebrated. I had to make something on the Egg. I grabbed some chicken and some bell peppers at the market for a stir-fry. This recipe was Sweet & Sour Chicken from Breath of a Wok. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Before moving on to the pictures: I've had a number of people here ask me via PM or in some of my other stir-fry/wok posts what Wok I purchased or my setup to use the wok on the Egg. I decided to write a blog entry on my site about this. I am hardly an expert, I got my help from Village Idiot and some of the other wok Eggsperts here. I have written a blog entry about my experiences getting set up to stir-fry on the Egg. The blog is not written from the standpoint of an expert, but as someone who is new to all this and documenting what I have picked up so far. I hope this helps some others get started.

The ingredients for this stir-fry were: Boneless skinless chicken breasts, red & green bell peppers, sliced garlic, scallions, salt, white pepper, chicken broth. soy sauce, sesame oil. rice vinegar, black soy sauce, dry sherry, corn starch, sugar & vegetable oil.

the chicken was mixed with the garlic, soy sauce, rice wine, cornstarch, sugar, salt & pepper.

The sauce was made using: Chicken broth, black soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ketchup, sugar, soy sauce, corn starch, & salt.

The Egg is up to 550 degrees, the wok has been preheated and some vegetable oil has been added. The ingredients are all gathered and it is time to begin.

The chicken & garlic are up first. They will be browned for 1 minute without stirring and then get stir-fried for an additional minute until the chicken is almost cooked.

The chicken is ready to come off the wok for now and will be held until the end of the cook.

The red & green bell peppers plus the scallions are being stir-fried next for a brief 30 seconds.

Time to add the sauce.

The sauce has just been added to the wok.

The chicken is back in the wok and everything gets stir-fried for an additional two minutes.

The sauce has reduced and thickened, the veggies have softened and the chicken is cooked.

The chicken was served with some chicken flavored rice (not homemade).

This was an excellent stir-fry. Tender, tasty chicken, The peppers & scallions were soft but with a bit of a snap to them. The sauce was very tasty with all kinds of subtle flavors happening. 

I am really getting to love making and eating these stir-fries.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments