Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt stalling forever

This is the third time I've cooked a 6lb butt and it stall on me for 8 hours at 160 degrees. This one has been on the egg at 225-245 for nearly 18 hours and is finally up to 191 internal. The first few I did when I got my egg were done in 12-13 hours. Any idea if I'm doing something wrong? Cooking indirect with a pan of water on the placesetter.

Comments

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    225-245 grate or dome?  If that's dome temp it seems low to me.  I cook mine at 275 dome (250 grate) and it works out to about 1.5 hrs per lb.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Second the 275 dome temp.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • dweebs0r
    edited December 2012
    I have a 6 pounder on right now that I put on at around 0900 this morning.  Currently 176 IT and the grate temp is 260.  A teeny bit hotter thanI want it but should be done for supper.

• Ok, I just kept reading 225 cooking temperature. I have the pit temperature sensor from my CyberQ clipped on the back of the BGE thermometer, so I guess that would be dome temperature. I'm also going to check calibration on my sensor.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I just cooked a 9 lb butt last night / today. Took 17 1/2 hours at 270 dome. So, a little less than 2 hrs per lb. used the Italian salad dressing recipe that DDD showed from a restaurant in Chicago. It was the best butt I have ever cooked. Very moist. Pulled at 202 internal and it was covered in DP Red eye express.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Ate the pork after 17 hours. Let it sit in the cooler for an hour before going after it with the cleaver. It definitely wasn't dry, tasted great! I guess it's the dome temperature I need to work on.
  • dweebs0r
    I found when I cooked a butt on lower temps that the bark suffers a bit.  The meat is very moist but the bark just kind of falls apart.  How did yours turn out?
  • Ok, I just kept reading 225 cooking temperature. I have the pit temperature sensor from my CyberQ clipped on the back of the BGE thermometer, so I guess that would be dome temperature. I'm also going to check calibration on my sensor.
    you might want to think about getting you one of these... it wedges between the bars on the grid and holds the pit probe to get a grid temp. just a thought.
    Brandon, MS
  • The bark seemed ok I guess. Not sure what I'm looking for but it stays attached to the pork when you chop it.

Where do you get that probe holder?
  • http://www.thebbqguru.com/

here...its called a probe tree.
    Brandon, MS
  • The last two butts I've done, I've done them without water in the drip pan.  Minimal stall, therefore a lot less cooking time.  I was surprised at how much faster it cooks and get very good bark.  Overall results have been great.  (I don't think I'll use water in the pan anymore.)  I usually cook to IT of 195 - 200 at around 250 dome.  I don't consider myself an expert, but I've been very pleased with the results.  BTW, the last one I did, for Thanksgiving, I tried the Italian dressing injection and it was awesome!  My extended family members are placing orders.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    get rid of the water in the pan, its creating a 212 degree cold spot under the butt and get your dome temp up to 250 dome, 225 minimum at the grate
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

• get rid of the water in the pan, its creating a 212 degree cold spot under the butt and get your dome temp up to 250 dome, 225 minimum at the grate
    I'm happy to see I'm on the right track with this.  The forum taught me to get rid of the water, but I didn't know the science behind it.  Thanks!
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    x2 on ditching the water pan. Butts are very forgiving (unlike briskets). You could up the dome temp to 300F and still be fine as long as you pull at the right internal tmep.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Water pan, no - drip pan, yes. The water pan is steaming the butt, probably lowering the temp as well. The egg retains lots of moisture, so you do not need the water pan. If you find the bark too dry, once the stall starts, Texas Crutch it and the cook time shortens. The bark softens, but sounds like you might be OK with that. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I have done several butts with no issues at all. I use the plate setter and then set a pan of apple juice under neath butts on grill. BGE set to 220-230 and keep there. I have double meet probes in. I just did a 15-16 pounder and was done reading 195 at approx 18 hrs. To be honest have never really tried to have a dome temp and a grill temp. Usually concentrate on the grill temp. I now have a digi q and will see how that works. I trust it more than BGE thermometer. Resting fase can take awhile depending on fat and size