Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter grease fire cook-after-brisket?

booksw
booksw Posts: 470
So the brisket turned out great- it was my third and the best one I have done.  Still a bit on the dry side but I served it with three different sauces and cut it thin so it was great.  HOWEVER, my next cook was chicken wings with the place setter in.  My egg did get a bit too hot before putting the chicken wings on (maybe 500 dome) but that has never been an issue for me before.  There was not much debris on the plate setter- I had used a drip pan under the brisket although the brisket was bigger than the drip pan.  At about 30 minutes I turned the wings and all was well except the dome had gone down to 300 so I opened the chimney.  I noticed after about 10 minutes that a lot of smoke was coming out of the chimney but the temp had only gone up to 325 so I made my self not worry about it :).  After another 5-10  minutes I opened the dome to sauce the wings and that's when I saw that about half of the surface of the platesetter was on fire (ruining more than half of my wings).  I was so disappointed and bewildered.  I have made chicken wings many many times and that has never happened before.  So after dinner I read some old postings on this forum and while no one wrote precisely about this, from what I read I am guessing it was due to the brisket cook...  Maybe I should do a cleansing cook after a brisket cook...?
Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs

Comments

• nope- it's from your wings. Don't know why you didn't get flare up before but wings are the worst culprit for flare up. 

You may have had brisket fat on your PS but if you had wings with no drip pan in a hot egg, that was your cause.

hot egg/platesetter + chicken wings with no drip pan = fire

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The wings can do that. I did wings tonight with the adjustable rig in my large and I burnt some of the wings on the bottom. I used the top halves for a blue cheese and chicken wing pizza and threw the bottoms of the wings away. If I ever need to do more than 20 Wings in the future they will be done on the XL cooking wings on 2 levels doesn't work. The XL is a wing machine.
  • I always foil my setter for wings, they drip a lot of grease and if you don't catch it it will flare up
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • booksw
    Thank you so much for your response, Cen-tex.  I figured you would know about this.  I only recently got the actual BGE platesetter and this is the first time I have made chicken wings with it. Previously I used a komodo joe heat reflector which is thinner, smaller and I think sits further away from the grid.  I have probably made chicken wings 20-30 times with it and no grease fires- maybe I should continue to use that for chicken wings.  
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw
    SmokinDawg does foiling the plate setter prevent the grease fire?  Sorry about the game yesterday.  Our son goes to UF and we were hoping Georgia would beat Bama- to make UF look better!

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I did bone-in ribeye steaks tonight, super-high heat with plate setter in, the idea being that it insulates the steaks from direct flames.  That worked well until nearly the end of the cook, when I realized I had a grease fire on the plate setter.

I'd really like to find a drip pan for the plate setter.  I think the ideal one would be a very broad cone shape, the idea being that drippings would run down the sides, fall off into the fire, and not allow a grease fire to linger on the plate setter or drip pan.  Does anyone make something like that?  I've done effectively that with foil, but it doesn't hold up well for high temp cooks.
  • Once again, we blame the cow for the bad actions of the chicken. (sounds like Animal Farm)

Use a raised drip pan, air space between setter and drip pan, when doing chicken (other than breasts - which don't drip much if at all)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Another option with wings-cook them raised grid direct at around 350-375 on the dome.  Far enough away from the lump that the flareups don't cause any problems.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wings render a lot of chicken fat and if you do not use a drip pan you are playing with fire. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • I use a tinfoil pizza pan that I pick up from our local dollar store. They come in a package of 2 and cost about $1.50 After using 2 or 3 times, I fold it up and throw it out. No cleanup required !

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• I use a tinfoil pizza pan that I pick up from our local dollar store. They come in a package of 2 and cost about $1.50 After using 2 or 3 times, I fold it up and throw it out. No cleanup required !
    And if you tin foiled the tin foil pan you could use it forever...just throw away the tin foil from the tin foiled pan.