Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The consequence of good home cooking with the egg

2»

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Griffin said:
    @BYS1981 try the Pioneer Woman's fettucini alfredo recipe. Super easy and good.
    Griffin,

I have yet to use her recipe, but I have made a few of the other recipes on Pioneer Woman's blog such as her broccoli cheddar soup.

• Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    For me the advantage of eating out have always being served my meal.  Basically the service but now days the service 9/10 horrible. So we eat in. Better food & better service.  Now only if when i make wings i can get the wife to wear a hooters uniform sit on my lap and pour me some beer lif would be perfect.   Any ideas out there.
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Rzeancak said:
     Now only if when i make wings i can get the wife to wear a hooters uniform sit on my lap and pour me some beer lif would be perfect.   Any ideas out there.
    Pictures, or it didn't happen.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• robnybbq said:
    I wish we would stop eating out.  I can cook the meats good on the egg but the sauces/sides are blah.  I need to learn to cook a full meal.  Problem is my wife does not like 90% of fish and limited vegetables so I dont have a clue on what to make.  I went to the DR's as well yesterday and that is another story/train wreck.  I need to make healthier food NOW.  I need to limit the FAT which is in EVERYTHING.  My other issue is WINTER (Explicit Four Letter Word).  I hate the cold.  The egg is downstairs out in a yard not making it easy to use as I will not have in on the wooden deck next to the kitchen (afraid of fire).  I did it for Thanksgiving and it was a PITA cooking in the cold and dark.  And there is no such thing as quick weeknight cooks on the Egg.  Every cook is an event of getting the food.  Cooking it for a few hours. During the week that is no good when I get home at 7:00.  If I wanted to use the egg during the week means we are not eating until 8:30-10:00 between food prep, lighting the egg, 1/2 hour+  burn off/warm up, then the cook.  Enough Ranting - Dr kicked my but again.

The cold is a funny thing. This time of year and the short days I don't cook a lot through the week. Once I get used to it and after the solstice I start doing more and more. It's about 24* out right now and I do not feel like it. In a month that will feel balmy.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's about when the cabin fever kicks into high gear....

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• robnybbq said:
    I wish we would stop eating out.  I can cook the meats good on the egg but the sauces/sides are blah.  I need to learn to cook a full meal.  Problem is my wife does not like 90% of fish and limited vegetables so I dont have a clue on what to make.  I went to the DR's as well yesterday and that is another story/train wreck.  I need to make healthier food NOW.  I need to limit the FAT which is in EVERYTHING.  My other issue is WINTER (Explicit Four Letter Word).  I hate the cold.  The egg is downstairs out in a yard not making it easy to use as I will not have in on the wooden deck next to the kitchen (afraid of fire).  I did it for Thanksgiving and it was a PITA cooking in the cold and dark.  And there is no such thing as quick weeknight cooks on the Egg.  Every cook is an event of getting the food.  Cooking it for a few hours. During the week that is no good when I get home at 7:00.  If I wanted to use the egg during the week means we are not eating until 8:30-10:00 between food prep, lighting the egg, 1/2 hour+  burn off/warm up, then the cook.  Enough Ranting - Dr kicked my but again.

Sucks man! Fat is not the enemy. Bad fats are for sure. Plenty of evidence that that high fat low carb diets have the exact same effect on your body as a high carb low fat diet. You just can't have both :) I prefer high fat grass fed meats and no carbs when I'm dropping pounds and getting healthy. Much easier to stick with for the type of foods I like and I get to cook on my egg almost every night. Not a huge fan of grass fed meat but the fats in them are so much healthier than grain/corn fed that it's worth the trade off (most of the time). I just don't enjoy boring food and I find I can give up breads and carbs much easier. Plus most carbs are processed crap so even when you think you are eating right, it's mostly junk unless you really drill down to a few whole foods. BORING (for me- I'm just a carnivore to the core)

Good luck man. you'll find a way that works for you.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    robnybbq said:
     Every cook is an event of getting the food.  Cooking it for a few hours. During the week that is no good when I get home at 7:00.  If I wanted to use the egg during the week means we are not eating until 8:30-10:00 between food prep, lighting the egg, 1/2 hour+  burn off/warm up, then the cook.  Enough Ranting - Dr kicked my but again.

You should be able to get the egg lit and up to cooking temp in 30 minutes or less.  Steaks should take 20min or less.  Let it clean/burn while you're eating.  Generally, when I grill steak, I do enough for 2 nights and we eat the leftovers the next night.

Make something big (ribs, brisket, etc.) Sunday, eat leftovers Mon-Tues.  Make steaks Wed, eat leftover steak Thurs.  It just takes some planning.  Sounds like you just need some outdoor lighting upgrades and a coat you don't mind getting smokey.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If I'm relighting lump, I'm ready to go in under 15 minutes for searing or direct cooking.
    edited November 2012
    I got some lights in the yard.  The Egg is just in a bad spot down in the yard making it a chore to cook on it in the dark.  Let alone carrying all the foods up and down the stairs to cook.

I would like to cook ribs/brisket on the weekends and reheat them during the week but I am doing something very wrong on storing them/reheating foods.  Every meal(leftovers)  I try to reheat/cook does not come out good.  Dried up meat, loss of allot of flavor (adding more sauces, Steak sauce or bbq sauce which is no good to make it taste OK and not a piece of cardboard.)    Maybe that's another thread on how to store and reheat foods.

Garnerville, NY
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    It's important in the fridge to get a good seal (ziplock bags, quality plastic wrap with good cling to it, etc.) to keep the fridge from acting as a dehydrator and sucking all the moisture out of your leftovers.  For ribs, I've reheated them in the microwave when in a hurry, sealed in some aluminum foil with just a little apple cider in the oven, and either way seems to work well.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I've never let the cold or the dark phase me. The alternative is giving up some of my favorite foods for 4 months and that just isn't going to happen. I have a feeling cold  weather cooking just got a whole lot better with my new Egg. 

Plus I take inspiration from the crazy looks I get from people when I'm out cooking and it is 0 degrees (F) outside.  
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Yeah I was smoking a pork butt during Hurricane Sandy [live in Northeast], I'm not going to let snow flakes get in my way. 
  • My wife and daughters are not particularly fond of smoked meats.  They will eat the pulled pork and brisket and that is about it.  Oh well, that is their loss.  I enjoy my Egg to the full extent of the law.  All meats are treated equally.  As for eating out, well let's just say it doesn't happen very often these days.  Not many restaurants offer meals better than I can cook at home.  The many testimonials I get from friends and relatives are proof of that.  My pizzas are requested by many in the neighborhood and when the Egg comes out so do the visitors.  Now, you gotta like that!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!