Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Omaha Steaks - Groupon deal

Stargaze
Stargaze Posts: 68
Just an FYI, received this in my email recently.  Looks like a pretty good deal if you're a carnivore

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Already dead. Are their steaks any good? Never had them.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • It seems like the Groupon deal is dead but if you click the links it sounds like they're actually still good?
  • We were given some a few years ago as a present.  My impression was that I can get much better quality at Costco at a lesser price.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    In my opinion (which doesn't count for much), Kansas City Steak Co is better than Omaha Steaks, and Costco/Sam's Club is better than both of them.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • We were given some a few years ago as a present.  My impression was that I can get much better quality at Costco at a lesser price.

Agreed!

Edina, MN

• MJQ8
    MJQ8 Posts: 43

Loved OS years ago and recently tried them again...I don't know, seems the quality has drifted a little now. They may be alright if the in-laws are coming over but for good friends I will go to a butcher shop, (Glad my wife doesn't read this blog)

Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,658
    problem with omaha is the tiny steaks dont cook right. if i want a good steak i drive to this place but they mail order as well, a 45 day dry aged steak at 2 pounds is about42 bucks plus delivery and there premier cowboy steak is half as much
    http://www.themeathouse.com/ourgoods/Product.aspx?ProductID=57
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I got some as a gift and after cooking a couple I threw the rest out. I'll gladly pay the butcher a little more.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    problem with omaha is the tiny steaks dont cook right. if i want a good steak i drive to this place but they mail order as well, a 45 day dry aged steak at 2 pounds is about42 bucks plus delivery and there premier cowboy steak is half as much
    It looks like they have good prices on their meat, but the shipping for two cowboy ribeyes was 2 1/2 times the meat cost.  Omaha steaks are way over priced for what you get and most people in Omaha, including myself, don't but them.  You're way better off finding a good butcher in your area.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • fishlessman
    BOWHUNR said:
    It looks like they have good prices on their meat, but the shipping for two cowboy ribeyes was 2 1/2 times the meat cost.  Omaha steaks are way over priced for what you get and most people in Omaha, including myself, don't but them.  You're way better off finding a good butcher in your area.

Mike
    its probably more worth it for someone that wants to try a 45 day dry aged steak and cant get one where they are at. and way better than buying a 5 ounce steak and a hamburger patty at omaha steaks
    :))
    they are growing fast, a few years ago the were just a few in newengland, now they are down the eastern seaboard, texas and out to california

fukahwee maine

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2012
    BOWHUNR said:

Mike
    its probably more worth it for someone that wants to try a 45 day dry aged steak and cant get one where they are at. and way better than buying a 5 ounce steak and a hamburger patty at omaha steaks
    they are growing fast, a few years ago the were just a few in newengland, now they are down the eastern seaboard, texas and out to california

$123 shipping for a $41 dry-aged piece of beef. Um, no thanks, I'm too frugal to justify purchasing that, even it is just to "try" it.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Alternatively, buy a good marbled piece of meat (choice or prime) and age yourself - they sell drybags for aging in your fridge.  http://www.drybagsteak.com/

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    well i only checked my address for shipping at 19.79,  123 is a little pricey
    cazzy said:
    BOWHUNR said:

Mike

$123 shipping for a $41 dry-aged piece of beef. Um, no thanks, I'm too frugal to justify purchasing that, even it is just to "try" it.

fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nola, have you used the drybags?  If so, how long did you dry age and how was it?
    Not yet.  I'm about to order some.  Mostly I want to make the capicola, but I'll definitely try some dry aging of beef.