Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone gotta line on some High Quality Mesquite?

Fruita's out of stock...  Why is it so hard to find Mequite??

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Where are you located?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • No Shortage here. Millions of mesquite trees growing all around town :) I'll send you some if you can't find it. Just let me know. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Don't farmers consider mesquite trees a nuisance in Texas?  I thought I read about some plans to try to eradicate them, or at least start controlling them.

During the period of the Texas Cattle Trails from Texas to Kansas City (where the railroads were), cattle would eat mesquite seeds off the tree, then about 20 miles later, would poop it out.  From that, another mesquite tree would grow.  Those same trails were used for thirty years or so, so the mesquites became prolific all along the trails.

Mesquite wood gives off a distinct hue to infrared cameras, so, today, satellite photos from space show the locations of each of the famous cattle trails, such as the Goodnight-Loving Trail, the Chisolm Trail, and the Shawnee Trail.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Greensboro NC. I can get dried out rotten bagged wood from HD or such... Just hoping for a quality connection.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I buy 100lb bags from logans roadhouse..around $25. Have a few beers and smooze the Mgr.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited November 2012
    Don't farmers consider mesquite trees a nuisance in Texas?  I thought I read about some plans to try to eradicate them, or at least start controlling them.
    Sure.  Some do if the trees interfere with the crops.  I will tell you though; Mesquite wood is gorgeous.  My coffee table and fireplace mantle are made out of mesquite.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Sure.  Some do if the trees interfere with the crops.  I will tell you though; Mesquite wood is gorgeous.  My coffee table and fireplace mantle are made out of mesquite.

I've always been a fan of mesquite lumber - hard as rock and as crooked as a politician, but beautiful.
    In my youth they were considered a nuisance tree, but many times that was the only shade available for the cattle.  The beans are high in sugar and the horses and cattle gobble them up.  It was a professor from Texas A&I that convinced the ranchers there was "gold in yon mesquites".  
    As Gary says the wood is beautiful.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

We burn tons of it down at the ranch. Use it to make bonfires at night and cook over live coals for dinner. Father in law just bought one of them fancy gas powered hydraulic log splitters just to manage it. Would have brought some back but there was no room left in the truck.

From what I hear, you can grind up the seeds and make some kind of flour with it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I guess I'm swimming in oak and pecan up here...  mesquite is just my preferred meat smoke,,

I'll try that Logan's idea.  Thanks gang,
    Large BGE and Medium BGE