Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt at Ribs: So-So Results and Question for Eggsperts

mb99zz
mb99zz Posts: 183
edited November 2012 in Pork
Tried my first hand at ribs this weekend.  Used the following method:

1). Yellow Mustard and Dizzy Pig Rub
2). Indirect at 250 degrees (dome temp) for about 3 hours with Cherry Wood Chunks
3). Basted with BBQ Sauce, tented with cranberry juice (no apple juice), and cooked for 2 more hours

Well, some of the ribs were good and others weren't so good.  I laid the rib halves out on the grid for the first 3 hours and they all barely fit.  The ribs on the extreme sides of the grid got overcooked -- maybe too much direct heat from below?  Not sure.  But those three rib halves quite frankly were junk.   The others were good.  I wish the meat were a bit softer -- more of that fall-off-the bone feel.  I guess i didn't cook them long enough for that.   

So, just to confirm, the longer I cook ribs the more tender the meat should be - right?   Before getting the egg, I used to make ribs that all my family loved.  The recipe was easy.  You rubbed down the ribs with olive oil, salt, pepper, wrap in foil, and cook at 300 in the over for 3 hours.  Then you take them off and grill them with BBQ sauce for a short while.  That method produced very tender meat which we all love in my house.  This weekend produced a tougher meat than I would have liked.  So, did I just need more time? 

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I'm no expert, but you are correct that they weren't done if the meat was tough. I usually cook mine at 275 for 5 hours and take them off when they start to fall apart. I'm sure they will be great next time.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2012
    I don't foil my ribs...or tent. Next go around, just keep it simple.

This is my process for baby back ribs:

-Season with raging river
    -Stabilize egg at 250 (indirect set up)
    -Add chips (usually a fruit wood for ribs)
    -Put the ribs on and let em go for 4 hours before my 1st tenderness check
    -I'm looking for the meat to start pulling back on the bone. If its not, I'll let em go for 30 more min and check. Once they pull back, I'll do the bend test.
    -if the pass, I baste with bone suckn' sauce
    -Pull them suckers off and start slicing em up!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Put in the search bar- Rib bend test.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Put foil under the ends that extend over the PS..shiny side down. Slow cook....bend test...they're done when they're done.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Got it.  Thanks guys.  So, I did notice that the triangular shape of the PS left areas of the grid that would certainly get more direct heat.  
  • Cazzy has it down. You can also search car wash Mike. I think about the only thing he adds is spraying them with 50/50 ACV and apple juice. Take your time, you'll get it.
  • While I normally cook on the grid at about 250 dome for 5 or so hours, a rib rack would allow more ribs without hanging over the edge of the platesetter.
    Some like the taste of foiled ribs and there are several different methods on various websites.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• The last two times I've cooked ribs I've done the following I learned from the Slow Fire cookbook by Dr. BBQ.

1. Sprinkle with "Three Little Pigs" Touch of Cherry rub and let sit overnite.

2. Cooked bone side down for about 2 hours @ 235 F, flip the ribs and cook for an hour.

3. On two double thick sheets of heavy duty allumimun foil lay slab meat side up. Fold foil around ribs pressing out as much air as possible.

4. Return to cooker for 1 hour.

5. Take ribs out of foil and baste well on both side and cook another 30 minutes or until tender.

If I am cooking more the 2 racks of ribs I use a raised rack until time to baste. By that time the ribs have shrunk down enough to fit on the grill rack. Ribs come out tender and juicey. 

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    @mb99zz, I think there is a huge difference in "competition" ribs - no foil, and steamed ribs - foiled. Your family, like many including mine, enjoys fall off the bone tender ribs smothered in a favorite BBQ sauce, which I think are actually steamed. The way to get these on an egg, smoke at low temp for 2 - 3 hours, 225 - 250; foil with some juice/wine/water or whatever for another 2 hours; then give them 30 - 60 minutes with some BBQ sauce. Not "competition" but what your family knows and likes. Comp ribs will not use foil, maybe a mop, but no foil, IMHO. 

Make sure ribs without foil are completely sheltered by the setter from direct burning lump, the infrared will overcook them. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    @mb99zz, had this bookmarked - but too many bookmarks, could not find it last night when I posted above to you. Very similar to @Simply_Smokin method noted above.
    This is the 3-2-1 method for ribs vs competition style. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Too many options!!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • I'm trying a new way of doing ribs this afternoon.  At the Eggtoberfest in Atlanta, one of the cooks had an interesting way to cook a lot of ribs at the same time.  As I recall, he had about 15 racks cooking at the same time on a large BGE.  He simply rolled them up and put toothpicks to hold them in a roll (his were a lot tighter than mine).  They were delicious so I'm giving it a try.  Cooking on indirect at 250 degrees and will test for doneness after 4 hours but expect it will take closer to 5 hours.  I have a lot of space on my XL so I didn't really need to do it this way but what the heck.  I'll try to post pictures of results.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • An old timer from South Carolina gave me a tip on how to cook ribs.  I do not lay mine flat, but use a rib rack that stands them up on the end of the bones.  I rotate every hour flipping them to the other end of the bone.  As the fat renders it bastes the ribs.  Results are always the same, its a no brainer.  I mop on the sauce for those who prefer sauced ribs it at the very end for 10-15 minutes.  Buy good quality meat and make a tasty rub.  It is easy.  3-2-1 FTC is cool too.  I only use the Baby Back ribs from Costco.  Great price and excellent meat.  I have cooked them at 200, 250 and 300.  I prefer the low and slow most of the time with mesquite chips.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!