Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the Egg (LBGE) and forums!

Options
Hi!

So.. my brother has sworn about the BGE this past year and convinced me it is the only way to go.. I just moved into my new house and old grill had to go (12 years old propane).  

I broke down and jumped off the cliff!   I am not too new to smoking and grilling.. I have tinkered over the years just had a hard time controlling temp over long periods with the el cheapo bullets.

I took delivery yesterday and figured what better way to learn than to burn some lump and experiment with temp controls... spend a few hours last night.

So far so good.. It seems I have already learned the Daisy and lower screen controls and have pretty much maintained 230-250 for several hours straight.

Looks like a great community!  

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Welcome!  Enjoy the new house and BGE.  You're gonna be eating very well and making some great memories.

Great info and advice in this community as well as being a great place to hangout.

Pics of cooks are greatly appreciated around these parts as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Is your brother on this forum already?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Welcome aboard. This is the place to get great advice. 

I came from a background of using a gas grill all my life and a horizontal offset charcoal smoker for the last 7 years. In some ways I find the temperature control as good or better than the gas grill over a far wider range of temps. The longest I used to go on my smoker was 1-2 hours before I had to go play with the vents. My first brisket on the Egg went 10 hours and I made one and only one tweak about an hour before finishing. I'd opened the lid and the temperature was 5 degrees low when it recovered. It was so stable I kept running outside to check that my Maverick ET-73 remote read thermo hadn't lost synch.  But yes it was that stable.

You are gonna love this grill. I am already planning on my second Egg right after Christmas.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Welcome to the zoo! Trust the new home will be filled with wonderful memories. Seems the first great memory has already happened, congrats on the new LBGE.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • momoz
    momoz Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks!

Butt on right now ( this early morning!)  two tweaks to vents in 4 hours so far on my FIRST cook and I couldn't be happier about that!  

Hopefully I can get the courage to do a brisket ( NEVER cooked one before).. but seeming how well this is going so far I might just try in the next few days/weeks.

My old propane grill had ceramic heat plates and it would get to 500-600 degrees, so I am excited this can do that and more for a nice sear on my steaks!

pics to come when the butt is ready! :D
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome...get some larger pants and a privacy fence to keep your neighbors from running over when they smell the egg rolling.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    You'll be cooking a brisket in no time.  It took me ~6 months to get the nerves to try one.  It came out amazing.  I had allot of growing pains with the egg coming from a Weber gasser (That I have used twice in 7 months since getting the Egg).  The support here is awesome and will help you through any type of cook.

Good luck.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride! We want to see lots of pictures!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    glad to have you. Welcome aboard. Lots of good folks to hook you up whenever you need help. Lot's of good brisket threads on here too. Just let us know when you are ready
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Welcome to the Family!!  I got my egg in June and have been welcomed so warmly.  I was learning from scratch and did a brisket after about 1 month.  It was quite the experience but turned out very tasty!!  There is a large thread about it that has many laughs, good luck this weekend on your first cooks, and don't forget the pics.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Welcome to the Family!!  I got my egg in June and have been welcomed so warmly.  I was learning from scratch and did a brisket after about 1 month.  It was quite the experience but turned out very tasty!!  There is a large thread about it that has many laughs, good luck this weekend on your first cooks, and don't forget the pics.  
    Whoa, the big guns are out for the welcome wagon today. Hi Lizzy!

Check out Lizzy's brisket thread. It was epic.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Welcome momoz !!!  I always laugh when someone is referred to as a newbie.  Practically everybody who buys an Egg has had years and years experiences on gassers, offset smokers, and other kinds of outdoor cooking.  The main learning task with the Egg is temperature control, and it looks like you've got a bead on that. 

So, jump right in.  I'm sure you have some recipes that we haven't thought of yet.  Pictures, please !

BTW, congratulations!  You have been flagged as a troll by our resident elementary school troll himself.  So now, you are considered as a full fledged forum member.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Welcome!  Enjoy the forum and ignore the troll flags.  Not all of us are like that.  Hopefully those flags will go away since they are being greatly abused by a select few.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    edited November 2012
    Options
    dweebs0r said:
    Welcome!  Enjoy the forum and ignore the troll flags.  Not all of us are like that.  Hopefully those flags will go away since they are being greatly abused by a select few.

I like you. You spent a lot of time going through every post I made to flag me. I'm special. Thanks for using your time to do that. That had to take a longtime. I should know. I love the attention. Thanks for continuing to play. :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
  • travisstrick
    Options

That had to take a longtime. I should know.
    Thats pretty funny. Thanks for the chuckle. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.