Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very OT: Apple Mac Fin Software

Just tossed 12+years of Quicken and longer with Dells. As of today going Mac. What are  Apple Mac users in Egg World are you using for home finance record keeping please. Will  not be transfering (not a backup person and had a total loss). Yes very much off topic and I am sorry but just belong to two forums.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Excel spread sheet and give it to the accountant
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited November 2012
    Mickey,

Quicken makes a Mac version, but it sucks.  I have been using Quicken Windows version forever.  That is a major reason I also run Windows on my Mac (using VMware Fusion).  I also run a couple more Windows only programs there also (StokerLog and my weather station software)

Are you new to the Mac?  Be sure to run Time Machine (preferably on Time Capsule).  Automatic backup and you can retrieve any file at any point in time.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Gary one of the reasons for the Mac was the no windows system. Have had several people say what you are doing, but I understand everything Mac fin is subpar to Quicken. I just want the best of the subpar.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I'll ask the accountant wife lady.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Excel spread sheet and give it to the accountant
    Way over my head kid. I like fin for dummys

• Mickey: Please bear with me for a short lecture.

Many ex-PC folks refuse to install Windows because they (rightfully so) hate it.  Again, I have Windows XP, never do the updates, and primarily use it for Quicken, so my interface with Windows itself is negligible.

Perhaps even more important to me than the accounting function of Quicken is the ability to download transactions from my bank, transfer monies between accounts, and pay anybody from my account (the old Checkfree), manually or automatic.

'Nuff said.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey

I am sure this will end up with me "hat in hand" calling you about 11:30 one night asking how.

But, I want to try and find another way. Did you try them or just stay with Quicken?

• The wife says that her firm and all their clients use quick books on windows. Sorry I couldn't help.
  • Mickey said:

I am sure this will end up with me "hat in hand" calling you about 11:30 one night asking how.

But, I want to try and find another way. Did you try them or just stay with Quicken?

I only tried Quicken for Mac.  On the Windows version, I have never been out of balance with the bank (in over 20 years of use).  On the Mac version (which I used for about 6 months), I was never in balance.  It screwed the numbers up everytime.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Here's what I do, "hey wife, how much money do we have?" Works every time.
  • Mickey

Travis your wife is a Pro, as I am an idot. I must have simple and you were in short pants when I started using Quicken (hell, you are still in short pants when we go to lunch).

But now I want to find what works best on Mac.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Going with VI on the Fusion. I made the transition a year ago after many years as a hardcore PC user (the iPhone was the gateway drug). My website software is PC only, so I installed Fusion and Windows; redoing three sites with multiple pages and pics was just not a chore I was willing to undertake. It works great. I run it only when I need to change my sites. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Install windows on your mac and boot into it when you want to use quicken.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Or run parallels.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• @Mickey - IMHO, I don't need windows. Have been running a Mac for years including the pre Intel days. 

I do need MS Office - only because many of the folks I communicate with use Word or Excel. 

The real question is what do you want to do with your financial software? IBank4 is a bit clunky but for $60 does the job if your running at least Lion. If you want to talk some more, give me a shout and I might be able to help you. I build my own records using Numbers (Apple version of Excel) because that is all we need. 

Back up your Mac, as a minimum use Time Machine - I don't use Time Cap, I use a stand alone 2Tb Iomega hard drive (<$100) It stays locked in the fire safe. It only takes minutes to back up the mac. Time Cap makes the BU automatic, but it would not work unless it was out in the open, in case of fire or theft, a back up is not much help if you lose both the primary and the back-up. 

What you need will determine how to configure. Good luck and welcome to the "other" obsession. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited November 2012
    I run parallels because there are a couple windows apps I need for work. 

Time machine - use it.
  • I switched to iBank from Quicken for Mac 2007 about 2 years ago and love it.  Available at the App store.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2012
    I run parallels because there are a couple windows apps I need for work. 

Time machine - use it.
    +1 on Time Machine. You can also use it to back-up on Cloud servers.

Just make sure you get to 88 miles per hour

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    For a great backup of your data, check out DropBox. You can access the data from any device that goes on the internet. I keep all my data, music and photo files on there. If I'm at a store and decide last minute that I want to make a recipe, I can pull it up on my phone. I've also shared my recipe folder with my sister and a friend. Occasionally I create folders to share with clients. Because DropBox is a cloud app, you're protected during catastrophes at home, heaven forbid. 

I use Time Machine, too. (I'm a consultant who works from home, so I'm super vigilant about backing up. Just the thought of losing all my files makes me anxious.) With Time Machine, I could restore my entire system, not just the data, music and photos. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Install windows on your mac and boot into it when you want to use quicken.
    MJ.  VMware Fusion runs Windows at the same time OS/X is running.  Just another icon on your dock.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Does VMware Fusion and Parallels do about the same thing? Let you run Windows? New computers have Bootcamp. Are all of these the same thing?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Yes, Granny.  VMware and Parallels do the same thing.  Both let you run OS/X and Windows at the same time.

With Bootcamp, you have to load one or the other, but not both.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    edited November 2012

Guys thanks for all the Windows input. But I bought the Mac to get away from WIndows.

I just need the software to do a couple of bank accounts, a few rent houses and a credit card. No Stocks/Bonds, No reports, No Tax (I use Turbo Tax but load by hand, not off the fin software). This should be as easy as can be on a program.

But you look this up (google) and its like asking if you should have a gasket or not on your Egg. These guys make us look like 9 year  old girls.....

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

GrannyX4 said:
    Does VMware Fusion and Parallels do about the same thing? Let you run Windows? New computers have Bootcamp. Are all of these the same thing?
    They do the same thing.  They let you run any number of "virtual machines" (or "VMs" - as many as you want.  Anything that is compatible with the hardware.  You can run linux, chrome, windows (any version) and boot these VMs up at any time.

I use Parallels - it has a mode called "coherence" that keeps the VM operating system hidden.  All you applications look just like the other mac applications - they're in their own windows, show up on the Dock.
    Thanks....
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Try Moneydance.  We switched to it about a year ago, and it was the closest we could find to Quicken (don't remember which version but it was old and before they stripped it down to nothing).  We still wanted to print checks occasionally and Moneydance was the only one we found that still could do that.  
  • Hey, Moneydance doesn't look bad at all. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    edited November 2012

My checks are done in my bank logon so no need for them.

I am looking a program called SEE is looking good.

• Mickey
    edited November 2012

@ayayron. Just don't understand why you would take the trouble to flag all this "off topic" after I posted the damn thing " VERY OFF TOPIC".

ayayron please get a life. DON'T READ OFF TOPIC if it bothers you.

To EVERYONE other than ayayron I apologize if offended for my post. But I see no real problem and if ANY of you post an "off topic" and I can help. I will help by posting or calling you. I always have and always will.

To everyone who has posted trying to help me on this: THANK YOU.