Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Be careful what you volunteer for.....

GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
I am becoming the Queen of the butts. I volunteered to cook pulled pork for the son-in-law who is running the concession stand for the grandson's football games. 4 to 6 butts a week for 5 weeks I thought was doable. Well, like I said be carefull what you volunteer for. Now there are the playoffs and cheer leading competion. Last weekend I cooked 8 butts and he ran out of pork. The weekend after Thanksgiving he wants 16 butts. I really don't want to look at pulled pork again for a long, long time. I have to come up with something else for him to cook to take the place of pulled pork or I will be oinking into 2013. I suggested Frito chili pie. He loved the idea but still wants 16 butts too. Lesson learned......
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Awesome Granny! I do all that for my kids too but not quite to that level. You better win some serious cred with the kiddos for your efforts. So much fun to use the egg to help out the ones you love. Great story
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrannyX4
    Yes it is a lot of fun but I know now I should have gotten a pair of bear claws for pulling. Another lesson learned.....
  • GrannyX4 said:
    Yes it is a lot of fun but I know now I should have gotten a pair of bear claws for pulling. Another lesson learned.....

I love the fact that he loved your frito pie and wanted you to ADD that to the 16 butts. Big appetite for Granny's cookin!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Granny, you need to push back on them demandin' offspring.  At the very least, play a little sir-mix-a-lot when you're grilling up the butts.  I'd post the video, but......
    They wouldn't be as cost effective as the pork. But I am thinking of doing one for us and I promise you I won't be doing butts again for a long time or at least until next football season.
  • Good for you, society needs more of your devotion. 
    My good wife seems to complain that two days after she has made a batch of her chocolate chip cookies the jar is empty. I always ask her that if the grandkids and I didn't eat them, how would she feel? They are so damn good we can't leave them alone. What you are doing must be good, the proof is in the pudding, or in this case the pulled pork. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Granny, you have now earned Pork Butt Queen title. A clink of the snifter glass for all your work. =D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GrannyX4
    I'll drink to that Joan, thank you for the title. I feel as though I have meet a lot off pigs and all are not tender.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow...that's a lot of butts!  Just curious- how are you handling the logistics of this?  Are you cooking the butts ahead of time and reheating them at the concession stand?  

Maybe you need one of these:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Are you doing a long cook or turbo?  If you are going long, well that is some serious dedication.  I also have a grandson in football and I never missed a game.  Your hard work is a labor of love.  I bet you do it again next year.  Hey, that pork puller above looks good.
  • GrannyX4
    Smokey Pitt, I needed that. My hands are frozen in the pull position. I am doing turbo. I couldn't loose that much "beauty" sleep. Cooked ahead of time, pulled and put in food saver bags. The rest is up to the son-in-law. I went out of town one weekend and when I got back I was told by the parents that I needed to make sure that the butts were cooked ahead of time. I butterflied the butts to make them thinner and brined them. I got moisture and flavor that way.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Good lord, you're a saint.  Apparently I have little tolerance, since I got angry just READING about this.  If you were my Mom, I'd gladly accept Frito Pie. 

Sixteen pork butts?  Crazy!  If I were in your position, I'd re-negotiate, take a cut off the profits, buy a new Egg, rent it out to the concession stand, teach THEM how to cook pork butt and drink a beer while enjoying the football game.  But that's if it was me.  I'm shrewd and cheap, and you sound wonderful and loving.

Hopefully they all appreciate it!  If they get pushy, let us know.  I have some overcooked chicken you can serve them.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• GrannyX4
    It's all OK. I enjoy helping the kids out. In this economy it's tough. I was reimbursed for the butts and I needed something to keep me busy. I have too many chutney and jam jars cluttering up the kitchen but who ever thought 16 butts for one weekend! He really wanted 24 butts and the Frito chili pie got it down to a more manageable number of 16.