Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More lump talk

Options
Last night I needed to add lump to the egg.  In the garage I had 4 bags of Ozark Oak and 4 bags of Royal Oak.  Last 2 or 3 bags I've used were RO and the quality was fair to good.  The RO bag I opened last night was probably the best I have ever seen/used.  Perfect size pieces, almost no dust; fire was perfect.  This bag came off the same pallet as the others I bought but the quality was definitely different.  Just prooves what others have said, one bag may include a big rock and the next one all good.  Lump is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    How true. And, others have also noticed that the quality of the large RO bags (8Kg) seems to be consistently better than the smaller bags (4Kg). Go figure....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Optiontrader
    Options
    How true. And, others have also noticed that the quality of the large RO bags (8Kg) seems to be consistently better than the smaller bags (4Kg). Go figure....
    That's probably by design.  They can cram more smaller pieces in a smaller bag than big pieces.  It's probably automated that way. 
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Lump is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.
    You got that right Forest!
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Just landed 3 bags of BGE at a 25% discount.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    That's probably by design.  They can cram more smaller pieces in a smaller bag than big pieces.  It's probably automated that way. 
    If they are trying to hit close to target weight (4kg) then it makes sense to pull from smaller piece stock.  In food factories the bags of chips, nuts, nuggets, whatever are filled using drop fillers that electronically add the weight from multiple bins to get the optimum (but legal) weight and only those bins drop.  Everything needs to be able to move on belts, "flow" through the system.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE