Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steaks

My butcher had NY strips on sale...half price. Had him cut a loaf with inch and one half thick chunks. I've, for some reason, had trouble with steaks. Fingers crossed. Poppers and turtle egg apps.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• You got a thermapen?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Broken record here (or scratched cd) hot tub them

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I find strips cook faster than sirloin or ribeye.  Probably the one cut that I've accidentally overcooked more.  Based on how we like 'em, medium rare is overcooked.
    edited November 2012
    Broken record here (or scratched cd) hot tub them
    Don't have a "hot tub" looking seriously at sous vide equipment. Santa, are you listening? 
    For strip loins (rib eyes, chops) we have used the "poor man's" hot tub, that is the reverse sear, which is sorta the exact opposite of a TRex. 
    Indirect low and slow, 200-220 grid with your chosen rub and smoke. Take to an internal of of no more than 120. For 1-1/2" will take as much as 30 minutes or more. Pull and hold while you change set up for direct high heat (open the egg up), grid on fire ring (I usually put my plate setter right on my CI grid so when I remove the setter the CI grid is already pretty hot) - takes maybe 3 or four minutes. Return steaks, maybe 1 minute a side gives a nice browning on the already almost finishes steaks. 

The 30 minute low and slow allows the steak to take on more of the smoke and rub flavor, or so SWMBO says. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    To big for the trex method. Seared at 600...3 minutes per side. Took off, broandught down to 400 and finished at 135. Best I've cooked. Thick steaks are easier to me. Used my maverick probe to keep up with temp. Used DP raising the steaks...
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I didn't realize until yesterday that the Maverick ET-732, which I picked up in August with my Egg, has probes that are rated to 700 degrees, vs the probes for the ET-73 which were rated to around 400 degrees. Sure makes doing a thick steak dummy proof.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • henapple said:
    To big for the trex method. Seared at 600...3 minutes per side. Took off, broandught down to 400 and finished at 135. Best I've cooked. Thick steaks are easier to me. Used my maverick probe to keep up with temp. Used DP raising the steaks...

too big for t-rex?? That's weird....the cooking method you described using is t-rex method. :-t
  • Broken record here (or scratched cd) hot tub them
      Don'thave a hot tub? Do you have a freezer bag and a pot to place on the stove? Use your thermapen or whatever you use and find the sweet spot with your gas or electric setting on the stove. Let it sit in there with your seasoning ( I use salt and pepper) and when it comes to your preferred temp take them out and place on hot grill to finish, maybe put some more rub or seasoning on them at this point.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• henapple

henapple said:

too big for t-rex?? That's weird....the cooking method you described using is t-rex method. :-t

I meant I didn't use my smaller grid directly on the fire as I do most of the time.

• jfm0830 said:
    I didn't realize until yesterday that the Maverick ET-732, which I picked up in August with my Egg, has probes that are rated to 700 degrees, vs the probes for the ET-73 which were rated to around 400 degrees. Sure makes doing a thick steak dummy proof.
    careful with that. Those probes are really not built well and they will not work after a few 700 degree cooks. Mine go out twice a year and I only use them for low and slow. I've never had mine anywhere close to 700 and they burn out anyway.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    I used the meat probe...not left in....just checked at different times.

• henapple said:
    I used the meat probe...not left in....just checked at different times.
    Thermopen is the most reliable way to to quick checks on hot cooks. If you don't have one, I highly recommend it
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    Send me one?...lol...asking for one for Christmas.
  • henapple said:
    Excellent photos, steaks look great. When you salivate over photos you know your looking at perfection!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA