Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to try a different approach

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
So after seeing the BBQ with Franklin videos, I'm going to prep and Q tonight's brisket a little differently.  To start, i'm going to mirror his approach for trimming the brisket as his video showed me that I'm missing some spots that I should be trimming.  Second, I'm going to use equal parts pepper and k-salt for my rub and ensure my brisket sits for 1 hour before I throw it on.  Should I season it after it rests?  I'd imagine so but what is your opinion?

After watching several videos, it appears Aaron Q's his brisket at around 320.  I think i'm going to shoot for 300 dome.  With that, do you think i'm looking at 1-1.5 hours per #?

Also, I know Aaron wraps his brisket half way through his cook with butcher paper.  He mentions that he does that so he doesn't over smoke his meat so since i'm only adding oak chunks, I don't think that technique is necessary.  At some point, I do want to try it to see if it has any benefit to the texture of my brisket.

Please share your thoughts and I especially hope his biggest fan chimes in.   :D
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• 1 hr per lb at 300 dome is pretty normal for me. Outside of that, you are on your own. I will be lurking for sure though :-h
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    What do you think about my theory on the butcher paper?  

300 dome is much hotter than what I normally do em at.  I usually am pressing for a timeline or trying to delay it so I'll play with my temp and range from 225-250 despite your advice to cook higher.  lol  I have no plans and plan to eat it right of the grill.  No resting, no foiling...i'm cutting into that bad boy and enjoying some piping hot point.  
  • cazzy
    Oh, also, i'm eager to find out what kind of bark I get with just S&P.  Next time, I think I'm going to go to this spot in town that sells some high quality all natural angus.  See if that makes a difference with the end result.  I know his meat selection has a lot to do with his final product as it different grades render fat differently.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    edited November 2012

As noted with the new gizmos-I am +1 with Cen-Tex on the approx cook time.  I'm with you on skipping the parchment as with the elevated cook temp and your wood I can't imagine over smoking.  But every journey is different as is every destination-so don't spend too much time with the adult beverages (so the rest of us can) and take good notes.  Many will be interested in your results. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 300 FOR THE WIN
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I think the paper speeds up the cook but sill allows bark to form. It still holds in heat but still breathes more than foil. I think it's done to sever food on time in a restaurant and is not needed for a home cook. That being said, I'm trying it on my next cook to see if it makes a diff in any other way................ You should get good bark with S&P so no worries there....................... As far as fat rendering differently on different grades of meat: I don't think that is the case. There is more fat to render in choice and prime but all beef fat renders the same. I've done all Natural Angus from HEB and While Foods and they were both amazing......... Can't wait to hear how it works out. I'm jealous
  • I'm trying my first brisket tonightl, but going to stay closer to 275 dome, as I have all night/day for it to finish.  Funny all the differences you see; I just read Playing With Fire And Smoke that swore off trimming of any kind...  

Look forward to following you through this!
  • All that I've learned over my year of egg ownership days you won't oversmoke it. Cen-text and others know better, but the meat will only take smoke for the first few hours.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I've never in my life had a brisket that was too smoky
  • See, there you go. Although I've never made a good brisket, so my 2 cents are not that valuable. :) I've only done 2 and haven't had the courage to try again.

Now butts, that's a different story.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cazzy
    None of my briskets have ever come out too smokey either but I also don't cook with 100% oak so I can see his concern with the meat getting over smoked. I'm just repeating what I learned from comments he's made in his videos and articles.

A coworker cooks his brisket with all mesquite wood and it is way over smoked and you smell like that garbage after you eat it.
  • I've cooked a lot of briskets over 100% oak and mesquite. Still have never had one that was too smoky.
  • cazzy

I've cooked a lot of briskets over 100% oak and mesquite. Still have never had one that was too smoky.

Interesting. Is it possible my coworkers wood was mature enough. I heard something about using the wood too soon or something.

• I almost use mesquite 100% of the time. No issues.
  • I've used green mesquite too. Pretty popular here in centex. It's pretty smoky.
  • cazzy
    edited November 2012
    And we're off...

• Dang that looks good.
  • I've used green mesquite too. Pretty popular here in centex. It's pretty smoky.
    Being a noob, I thought it was required to dry all wood before smoking with it. If it is OK to use green mesquite wood, how about other types? Like oak? Apple? 

Thanks.
    LBGE
  • I almost use mesquite 100% of the time. No issues.

you use lump, not mesquite wood though. focus man
  • I use whatever comes in the central market bag. Forgive me, my tin foil hat slipped off a little.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited November 2012
    DocWonmug said:
    I've used green mesquite too. Pretty popular here in centex. It's pretty smoky.
    Being a noob, I thought it was required to dry all wood before smoking with it. If it is OK to use green mesquite wood, how about other types? Like oak? Apple? 

Thanks.

most wood is dried out. Green wood is very hard to light (we use diesel to get it going) but it smokes like a mother. I haven't done it in years. Lump and chunks is much easier
  • cazzy

I almost use mesquite 100% of the time. No issues.

you use lump, not mesquite wood though. focus man

=))
  • I'm curious how this comes out as well. Any update yet?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I tried the mustard/Worcestershire rub with sea salt and cracked pepper on my last prime rib roast. It produced a great bark. Not sure you could use it on brisket though.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    edited November 2012
    friscoag said:

I'm curious how this comes out as well. Any update yet?

On the egg still...bark looks good but not what I'm used to from TX BBQ Grand Champion. Eager to try it!
  • cazzy
    henapple said:

I tried the mustard/Worcestershire rub with sea salt and cracked pepper on my last prime rib roast. It produced a great bark. Not sure you could use it on brisket though.

I'm still kinda in the "I don't ever want to squeeze mustard on my meat" camp. Lol

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    edited November 2012
    @ cazzy-I'm still kinda in the "I don't ever want to squeeze mustard on my meat" camp. Lol

=))  Now that is funny-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    edited November 2012
    Well, there was some good and bad from this cook.  

The good - the flavor was really good as the meat flavor really came through and was more of a star than my previous briskets.  The bark came out much better than expected.  The oak smoke flavor was also really good too.

The bad - I don't think i'll be doing briskets at 300 anymore.  Cooked too fast and pretty much was at 180+ in the flat at 4 hours in (yes, my stoker and dome thrermo are calibrated).  I had to dial it down and then it seemed to hit the stall.  Usually my brisket cooks start with the flat temp raising much faster than the point, then it slows down and the variance is less than 5 degrees after the stall.  The closest I ever got was a 9 degrees which was when I pulled it off.  The crust was too hard in some areas but I atribute that to the heat and not the seasoning.

Conclusion - I think "I" yield better results at 250 as I just feel the cook goes a little more controlled.  I can't compare the flavor to TX Grand Champion as it was completely different.  S&P compliments the meat where as I think TX GC takes the lead.  I will definitely be using K Salt and Pepper again as it's cheaper and leads to a very simple desirable flavor.  In addition, I enjoyed the smoke from oak over other woods I have used.  I eagerly look forward to my next brisket cook as I learned a lot from this cook.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    cazzy said:

henapple said:

I'm still kinda in the "I don't ever want to squeeze mustard on my meat" camp. Lol

There's so many things I could say...but don't want a flag.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN