Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally Done - Reclaimed Pecky Sinker Cypress Table

Options

More pictures to come, but I just installed the doors and granite tonight.  The egg will hopefully go into the table this weekend.  Already planning my first cook with the new table....probably ribs followed by a brisket.

Geaux Tigers!! 

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Beautiful job, man.  Seriously. 

What did you use to fill in all the pecky cavities?
    Options
    Thanks....it was a LOT of work.  I didn't fill in the cavities.  Just left them natural.  I applied five coats of Old Masters marine spar varnish. 
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Beautiful table, Great job

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • cspearce2
    cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Options
    Very nice. Great job!
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Thanks guys. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, I know...it's a lot of work to make something like that.  I finish a project, then stupidly start another, even more complicated one.  I'll never learn.  But you just don't get exactly what you want unless you work for it.
    Options
    Geaux Tigers! Great job!!
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Another lefty?

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Man, that's nice.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    She's a beaut, Clark!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    Makes me want to build a new table.  Well done!
  • RollTideRob
    Options
    Beautiful table. Great work. and ROLL TIDE!!!
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @RajunCajun Did you use a raised panel door router bit kit to mill the cabinet doors?  I have one that I used for some bookshelves and I wish I had read the max RPM warning....
    Options
    Thats a nice table.
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    Beautiful table. Great work. and ROLL TIDE!!!

Thanks....hopefully we see a good game.
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    @RajunCajun Did you use a raised panel door router bit kit to mill the cabinet doors?  I have one that I used for some bookshelves and I wish I had read the max RPM warning....

Yes I did use a raised panel bit kit for the doors.  If I were to tell you how much I spent on tools for this project I would surely get a chuckle out of you.  I bought the kit from Somerfeld Tools.  When turning such large bits you really have to slow the rpm speed way down.  I made my first "setup" door and those in the picture are the following three doors I have ever made.  I am pleased with the project.  I ordered an LED flashlight and flexible mic stand.  I also have some LED rope lighting integrated into the table.  Adds a nice effect.  I will post more pictures once I get everything put together.
  • nolaegghead
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Dude, I totally wouldn't laugh at how much you spent on tools.  I've spent a small fortune myself.  They get lots of use, so no regrets.  Yeah, I ran that 6" raised panel bit at full speed.  Sounded like my router table was a jet engine.  Ran a ton of boards threw it and it didn't disintegrate.  Later I read the warning on max RPM ;) 

Made two 8.5' bookshelves using the bit set.

Sorry it's sideways.
    Options
    Dude, I totally wouldn't laugh at how much you spent on tools.  I've spent a small fortune myself.  They get lots of use, so no regrets.  Yeah, I ran that 6" raised panel bit at full speed.  Sounded like my router table was a jet engine.  Ran a ton of boards threw it and it didn't disintegrate.  Later I read the warning on max RPM ;) 

Made two 8.5' bookshelves using the bit set.

Sorry it's sideways.
    Very nice!  I love that pecky cypress look.  My fear with my tools is the same as my boat.  If I die my wife will sell them for what I told her I paid for them thinking she is getting a good deal....haha.  Where do you pick up most of your reclaimed cypress?

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @RajunCajun - I bought a huge trailerload from a guy I found on craigslist.  That was mostly all pecky.  I have a few friends that are contractors, they'll dump off cypress in my driveway.  A buddy of mine bought an old hardware store and he gave me a couple of trailer loads of cypress - mostly ship lap, but some beams and a huge pile of redwood.  SWMBO isn't very happy about the lumber piles, but I do make some nice furniture for the house, so she doesn't complain too much :D
    Options
    Dismantled the egg yesterday and if the rain ceases today I will install the BGE into the new table.
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I have expensive furniture that's not nearly as nice as that table.  Great work.  Cant wait to see pictures with the egg installed and the lighting in place.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    Thanks dweebsOr.  I debated long and hard over my wood choice and finally settled on a popular choice for rustic/antique pieces in this neck of the woods.  Like Nola, I love my egg and loved every minute of the labor that went into my table.  Knobs are on order as well as a flexible mic stand and LED flashlight from dealextreme.com.  I think it was nola that suggested the flexible mic stand.  Great idea!!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Can't wait to see it with the egg.  Yep, I loved building mine and I have microphone goosenecks everywhere.  Damn rain....my table is soaking wet right now, didn't cover it after cooking last night and it's raining non-stop.
    Options

It's been about 18 months since I wrapped up this project and I enjoy every minute I spend with my egg and my table....and my favorite cocktail.

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options

What an awesome setup, @RajunCajun.  One of, if not the, best I've seen.  Fantastic job.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• RajunCajun
    Options

Thanks, TEggSun.  I like it....it's very functional.  I had my old factory BGE cypress table for ~10years prior, so I kinda knew what I wanted.

• cajunduck
    Options
    Sweet!
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    Thanks.  Nice green heads you have there.
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    BEAUTIFUL!  All I can say...
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen