Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Spatch'd Chicken and Roasted Cauliflower...

Options
Mighty_Quinn
Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
To break in my new Permatex gasket...so far so good...I think im gonna like having just the permatex on as a gasket. Raised direct on top of AR...400* with a peach chunk for smoke and served with a sweet and sour peach sauce. The naked egg showing off the fresh orange! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos For the sauce, I melted a little peach/bourbon jam and stirred in some rice wine vinegar to balance the sweetness. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Chicken's all done. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Plated with the cauliflower (roasted in a foil pan on egg while chicken cooked), green salad, and sauce spooned over breast medallions and thigh. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That looks damn good! 

I wish SWMBO wasn't a super taster. Cauliflower, broccoli and brussel sprouts are banned from our house, and I love them.
    Options
    Thanks nola. Luckily, wife and kids like all that stuff so all three are commonplace in our house. I think cauliflower lends itself best for the egg...it can handle some smoke.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Never tried cauliflower on the egg.  I've heard it's great, thanks for the inspiration, damn the supertaster, I'll be cooking some up for personal consumption soon.
    Options
    +1 for cauliflower on the egg. and +1 for your yard bird. It looks great. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Good looking bird and good looking cook. Please tell a little more on how you did the cauliflower.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mighty_Quinn
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Thanks Travis and Mickey- for the cauliflower, I took one head, cored it, and broke it down into florets...into foil pan with EVOO and fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt. Covered with foil onto 400*egg for 15 minutes or so (until just starts on get a little tender) and then take foil off to finish when tender, maybe 15 or 20 more minutes...couldn't be any easier.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

Thanks Travis and Mickey- for the cauliflower, I took one head, cored it, and broke it down into florets...into foil pan with EVOO and fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt. Covered with foil onto 400*egg for 15 minutes or so (until just starts on get a little tender) and then take foil off to finish when tender, maybe 15 or 20 more minutes...couldn't be any easier.

I will try this soon. Thanks for the idea.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The gasket worked very well, you've led Nola down a path of temptation with the demon cauliflower, must have been a good cook - bird is one of the most photogenic I've seen - great color. 
    Love the hop bomb, can't beat Torpedo.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    edited October 2012
    Options
    haha - demon cauliflower. Sounds even more appetizing....  >:)

My mom used to make and awesome cauliflower salad.  It's simple and it's addictive.  From memory - adjust amounts how you like 'em.

1 head cauliflower
    1 can baby shrimp with juice
    1/2 bunch parsley chopped
    olive or vegetable oil
    apple cider vinegar (or distilled)
    salt to taste
    black pepper to taste
    white pepper (optional to taste)

Steam or boil cauliflower until soft.  Cool.  Cut into bite sized pieces.
    Make dressing with everything else except parsley.
    Toss everything together.  Refrigerate.  Serve cold.

That looks damn good! 

I wish SWMBO wasn't a super taster. Cauliflower, broccoli and brussel sprouts are banned from our house, and I love them.

"Cauliflower contains phytonutrients that release odorous sulfur compounds when heated. These odors become stronger with increased cooking time. If you want to minimize odor, retain the vegetable's crisp texture, and reduce nutrient loss, cook the cauliflower for only a short time" (from food science article) The other half doesn't like cauliflower and I an allergic to sulfur, but i eat pickled caulif lower..go figure. A food chemist at UC Davis told me to soak the cut florets in lemon juice. This removes sulfur order and taste. When we lived in CA I used Meyer lemons. I have been known to add mashed cauliflower to the mashed potatoes (that is a secret), but roasting them on the egg with some rub it the best. BTW. The lemon trick works great with raw onions and raw garlic.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Wow!! What an amazing cook. Love the idea for the cauliflower. Really want to try that.

And like the new gasket. I eventually want to do that with my Egg, but I got a free gasket from Kamado Jo awhile back and I'm gonna use that one first. Actually planning on puttin it on today.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• burr_baby33
    Options
    Looks sooo good. I wasn't even hungry until I saw the pics.  Now I'm heading home to fire up the egg.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Thanks all for the nice words! That's what great about this place...I post what I feel is a seemingly pedestrian cook and sure enough, it ends up giving you guys ideas...especially the cauliflower part of it. :-c
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    Looking great. For the cauliflower papillotte, I recommend adding a chopped onion as it really adds to the taste. 
    Quebec - Canada