Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What other foods do you make at home? (Way off topic, and not political!)

fletcherfam
fletcherfam Posts: 935
edited October 2012 in Off Topic
Saw the thread on Vanilla Extract and was curious what else us eggheads make food wise at home, here is my list: (Please don't hijack the thread with Trolling, politics, or other crap).

yogurt
Vanilla Extract
Granola
Ice Cream
Smoked Cheese
Coffee Creamer
and other things I can't remember

We can (process) the following:
 - plums
 - Applesauce
 - apples
 - Pears
 - pear butters and apple butters
 - peaches
 - pineapples (frozen or dried)

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    pickled eggs, always looking for new recipes for them as i havent found what i want. pickled fiddleheads, pickled peppers, blueberry jams, creme fraiche.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Sausage. I'd like to get into pickling and canning, but I just haven't taken that step yet.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    did some butter from creme a couple weeks back with herbs, stupid easy if you want to get rid of creme, next one gets a little maple syrup in it, oh and i did syrup once, thats too much work
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Beer, cheese, sausage, bacon and various other cured meats, can tomatoes whole and as salsa, different cucumber pickles, pickled jalapeños
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Beer, pickles, pickled beets, mozzarella cheese, farmers cheese, jerky, cold smoked fish, corned beef and pastrami, pancetta, Canadian bacon, California rolls and bread
    edited October 2012
    Jellies and jams - Blackberry, strawberry, peach and apple butter. Buttermilk biscuits are my signature item. I also have 5 blueberry bushes in the back, so lots of items with blueberries. Also make homemade pasta...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Beer (mostly an economic thing), wine (really an economic thing), raspberry jam (the simplest of all jams even an idiot like me gets great results), blueberry jam or syrup (because it takes some thought so we get whatever is in the jars). 

Asian (Taiwanese style) dumplings, which if the wrappers don't cooperate soon become pot stickers or jiaozi. 

Rubs - have some commercial standbys, but prefer to make up my own. Just getting into sauces.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Great thread.  Thanks !

Vanilla Extract
    Lemoncello (great with tonic or champagne)
    All stocks (beef, chicken, shrimp)
    Chili powder
    Pesto from the basil garden
    Canned tomatoes and jalapenos when the crop is good.
    Worcestershire sauce
    Chile pequin in vinegar for putting on mustard greens
    Wine (I have 5 gal. Pinot Gregio, 5 gal. Pinot Noir, and 5 gal. Cabernet going right now)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    So many things I've loved to cook have been moved to my Eggs (pizzas, wokking, even chili!) but I still use my kitchen for making homemade pasta.  
    Also love making dishes with roasted Hatch green chile, of which I have a bushel in my freezer.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Sauerkraut, pickles, jelly, hot pepper mustard, apple sauce, hot sauce.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381

BEER!  Sauerkraut, Salsa, tomato sauce, I try pickles now and then but they suck.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Indian here

Palak paneer

Chili paneer

aloo gobi

Goat and lamb vindaloo

Chettinad chicken

fish curry

Naan

Okra fry

dal fry

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Indian here

Palak paneer

Chili paneer

aloo gobi

Goat and lamb vindaloo

Chettinad chicken

fish curry

Naan

Okra fry

dal fry

****.  I lived on the Lakota reservation in Pine Ridge, SD for two years, and we never had that crap.  

Do ksh kay ya oun hey.  Wakan takan kici un.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    edited October 2012

Homemade pepper flakes(ghost peppers, habanero, cayenne)

Cherry pepper relish(like Lenny's sub shop)

Chow Chow

Hot Honey Mustard

Rubs

BBQ sauce

Beef Jerky

I'd like to hear how you make coffee creamer. It'd be cool to try.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Pickled eggs
    Pickled okra
    and..........................Jager BOMBS!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven

Indian here

Palak paneer

Chili paneer

aloo gobi

Goat and lamb vindaloo

Chettinad chicken

fish curry

Naan

Okra fry

dal fry

****.  I lived on the Lakota reservation in Pine Ridge, SD for two years, and we never had that crap.  

Do ksh kay ya oun hey.  Wakan takan kici un.

That is just wrong. How many native Americans did you just insult?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• That is just wrong. How many native Americans did you just insult?
    NONE !  I prefer to call them "First Nations".  You people insult them by calling them Americans.  Do you know nothing?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    I know nothing...nothing. In my best German accent

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    I know nothing...nothing. In my best German accent
    I have a headache.  I'm going to bed.  

I did live with the Lakota for awhile, and they think you suck.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited October 2012
    The list of "other" foods we do at home is quite LONG living in what I consider to be food mecca. However, boils are a staple here as evidenced by the following picture:

Happiness is a literal BOATLOAD of crawfish on a beautiful Good Friday afternoon.

One other food that is a staple here that I have yet to conquer is Jambalaya. I have a VERY LARGE cast iron pot to make it in and I have the burner, I just need to get out there and make it happen.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • Little Steven
    Damn I love crawfish!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551

350 quarts of tomato sauce over Labor Day

Cured and smoked kielbasi

Infused vodkas

Just started some vanilla extract based on what I learned here

Rumtopf - a German rum pot using various fruits, sugar and rum to make a delicious drink/dessert/treat/topping..  Tradiditionally takes 6 months of seeping fruit and sugar in rum, but you can start a 'turbo' Rumtopf now and have it ready in time for Christmas.

cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Parallel said:
    The list of "other" foods we do at home is quite LONG living in what I consider to be food mecca. However, boils are a staple here as evidenced by the following picture:

Happiness is a literal BOATLOAD of crawfish on a beautiful Good Friday afternoon.

One other food that is a staple here that I have yet to conquer is Jambalaya. I have a VERY LARGE cast iron pot to make it in and I have the burner, I just need to get out there and make it happen.
    I want your yard more than I want your crawfish!! :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Very well kept lawn. Way to go.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @ VI mind sharing the concoction for your lemon cello. Tonic and champagne??? I make lemon cello as well. Very interested in what you do with the tonic and champagne mixtures.???
    Mind sharing Sir
    :)>-
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I just ate a boatload of oysters on Sunday.   Can't wait for crawfish season.  Suck the heads!
    :)>-
    SS,

We learned about adding tonic or champagne to the lemoncello when we were in Italy last month.  By adding tonic or champagne to the lemoncello, the bubbles really makes it refreshing.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I go through phases of trying (experimenting) different things. VI stir fry was the first time I got a real grip on wok cooking and flavors. Thank you VI. I just did steamed fish. I always had a notion that it would be so bland but I'm here to tell you that it was some of the best fish I have had. I am now on a quest for a steamer basket. Chutneys are my current interest. Last week I made tomato chutney. Yum! Grilled chicken breast, spread herb goat cheese and a little chutney over the top. Out standing. This week I made cranberry chutney for the holidays and now I'm 2 for 2.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • GrannyX4 said:
    I go through phases of trying (experimenting) different things. VI stir fry was the first time I got a real grip on wok cooking and flavors. Thank you VI. I just did steamed fish. I always had a notion that it would be so bland but I'm here to tell you that it was some of the best fish I have had. I am now on a quest for a steamer basket. Chutneys are my current interest. Last week I made tomato chutney. Yum! Grilled chicken breast, spread herb goat cheese and a little chutney over the top. Out standing. This week I made cranberry chutney for the holidays and now I'm 2 for 2.
    You've been a busy girl !  Glad you liked the stir fry.  There are so many great things to cook that way.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    pickled eggs, always looking for new recipes for them as i havent found what i want. pickled fiddleheads, pickled peppers, blueberry jams, creme fraiche.
    Here is link to several pickled eggs recipes I found a few years back.
    http://www.mtu.edu/alumni/favorites/pasties/