Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soak wood?

Kosko
Kosko Posts: 535
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know some soak there wood chips/chunks. I personally do. What about you guys?
Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    No. Never. At all. But that is just me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• No.  If water penetrated wood easily, all of the trees would be soggy after a rain.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    No, never.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Never...probably because of the guys above :D
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• travisstrick
    Wood subjected to high temperatures produces smoke

Water subjected to high temperatures produces steam.

You decide.
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Never. I used to until I learned it is really a myth. The best change you can make is go from chips to chunks or blocks of wood.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Not any more. Reading here on the forum suggests it gives a better flavor without smoking, and it is not needed anyway.
    LBGE
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Used to, when coming over from metal cookers w. poor air flow control that let the wood burst into flame. Was mostly useless then, and quite unnecessary with the Egg's tight air flow control.
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Great thread!  After reading the posts, I'm going to change my approach (still a new egger here). Next time I do a butt I'm going to use chunks and I will NOT soak them.   I used soaked chips last time and I felt there wasn't enough smoke flavor despite using several handfuls.  
  • travisstrick
    mb99zz said:
    Great thread!  After reading the posts, I'm going to change my approach (still a new egger here). Next time I do a butt I'm going to use chunks and I will NOT soak them.   I used soaked chips last time and I felt there wasn't enough smoke flavor despite using several handfuls.  
    The only difference between chunks and chips is the total amount of wood. You can achieve the same results by using the same volume of chips equal to your desired amount of chunks.

I use chunks because they are easier to throw in and store. (I do use chips for chicken or fish)
  • Dry Dry Dry.  Like mowing the yard without a beer in the cupholder.  That's a riding mower for you city slickers.

Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    mb99zz said:
    No need to soak, thanks Stike. You can use chips in the egg with good results, chunks are easy and usually will not flare as much if you open the dome to check on things. If the egg is stable at 225-275 for a low and slow, chips will work just fine if they are spread thru the lump. They smoulder and make good smoke. If you open the dome, they will flare so keep peeking to a minimum. Use up what you have before you get some chunks. 
    I like chunks because the unburned ones are easier to find in the lump so I don't dose my to be  hickory smoked chicken with the mesquite leftover from last night's roast. Don't like "mesquickory". 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Used to with my old metal offset smoker, but quit doing it before I even got the Egg. never any more.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Chips light off faster and don' last as long. Good for grilling. Chunks are good for long cooks.
    LBGE
  • Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    I never soak and always use chunks.
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    I never soak. Why? because I learned it was not needed. It only delays the smoke. placement and size extend the time of smoke.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    No soaking here...I prefer chunks but have used chips.
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    mb99zz said:
    The only difference between chunks and chips is the total amount of wood. You can achieve the same results by using the same volume of chips equal to your desired amount of chunks.

I use chunks because they are easier to throw in and store. (I do use chips for chicken or fish)
    I've been using chips lately, and I have to say I think the chunks are a little better at prolonged smoking.  chips seem to go up all at once and quit smoking after 20 minutes. 
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Awesome. I appreciate the input from all. I use to use a cheap smoker ( brinkman) and I would soak the chips or chunks. Now that I have my egg it's a whole new ball game but I wasn't sure about soaking them , until now!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Kosko said:
    Awesome. I appreciate the input from all. I use to use a cheap smoker ( brinkman) and I would soak the chips or chunks. Now that I have my egg it's a whole new ball game but I wasn't sure about soaking them , until now!
    I still soak for my Brinkman, Weber kettle and Sportsman.  I do NOT soak for the BGE.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Kosko said:
    I still soak for my Brinkman, Weber kettle and Sportsman.  I do NOT soak for the BGE.
    It makes sense to use water in the Brinkman & Weber, but soaking doesn't add much water.  The water doesn't penetrate very far into the wood.  Maybe a 1/16th inch or so.  That's why water baths are used so the meat doesn't dry out.  Depending on soaked wood chips or chunks for a water source to keep food moist in those rigs is not wise IMO.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    I DID SOAKED! THEN I SOPPED! I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO SOAKED AGAIN.
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I never soaked wood chunks for my smoker. I did however soak woodchips going into my gas grills smoker drawer. Since switching to the egg I don't soak the chips either.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    No soaking here.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I used to soak 'em.   Then I saw the light.  Steam don't add no flavor.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• BigC
    BigC Posts: 36
    Thanks for this thread, @Kosko. Great guidance by the experts. Will soak no more!!!
  • BigC
    BigC Posts: 36
    On similar note...is it possible to have "too much of a good thing" by adding too much chips/chunks to a long cook? Have heard some say that more isn't necessarily better.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

BigC said:
    On similar note...is it possible to have "too much of a good thing" by adding too much chips/chunks to a long cook? Have heard some say that more isn't necessarily better.
    Yes.   I completely ruined a beautiful chuck roast with too much pecan.  We ate it for dinner, but it tasted like someone dumped an ash-tray into the pulled beef.  I threw a large pecan branch on the lump.  It was a tough lesson.