Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large vs. Extra-Large Big Green Egg

Options
2»

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Options
    LOL. I will comment whenever I feel like it. You nor anyone else will tell me how to post. If ya don't like it, then ignore my comments. Easy enough.
    image  And, the morning matinee begins.....

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Morning matinee?  Something to look forward to after Church! 

Flint, Michigan
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    No. I said what I needed to and made my point. I will ignore him going forth. No more entertainment from me.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I like the idea of a s&l vs a xl but I disagree with the idea of either being disposable income expenditures but see any sized egg as an investment.

(at this point please start humming The Battle Hymn of the Republic)

Not only an investment in a quality product or for your hobby....and not only an investment in an American based small business but an investment in America and Americans. My egg has stimulated the economy through Costco trips for paper towels and plates, aluminum pans. Publix and my butcher are 4% ahead in revenues. Lowes had an above average August when I built my table. The charcoal industry will soon surpass big oil as the favored fuel and the list goes on and on.

My dream for myself and others is a BGE in every back yard leading this lethargic economy back to greatness. God bless all of you. God bless America....and God bless the Big Green Egg.

I am Henapple and I approve this message.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    XL.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    henapple said:
    I like the idea of a s&l vs a xl but I disagree with the idea of either being disposable income expenditures but see any sized egg as an investment. (at this point please start humming The Battle Hymn of the Republic) Not only an investment in a quality product or for your hobby....and not only an investment in an American based small business but an investment in America and Americans. My egg has stimulated the economy through Costco trips for paper towels and plates, aluminum pans. Publix and my butcher are 4% ahead in revenues. Lowes had an above average August when I built my table. The charcoal industry will soon surpass big oil as the favored fuel and the list goes on and on. My dream for myself and others is a BGE in every back yard leading this lethargic economy back to greatness. God bless all of you. God bless America....and God bless the Big Green Egg. I am Henapple and I approve this message.
    Superb!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DawgDays
    Options
    =D>

Well said, Henapple.
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    henapple said:
    I like the idea of a s&l vs a xl but I disagree with the idea of either being disposable income expenditures but see any sized egg as an investment. (at this point please start humming The Battle Hymn of the Republic) Not only an investment in a quality product or for your hobby....and not only an investment in an American based small business but an investment in America and Americans. My egg has stimulated the economy through Costco trips for paper towels and plates, aluminum pans. Publix and my butcher are 4% ahead in revenues. Lowes had an above average August when I built my table. The charcoal industry will soon surpass big oil as the favored fuel and the list goes on and on. My dream for myself and others is a BGE in every back yard leading this lethargic economy back to greatness. God bless all of you. God bless America....and God bless the Big Green Egg. I am Henapple and I approve this message.
    Awesome. Love it.

• DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Henapple, that is one of the best posts I have seen for a while. A little tongue in cheek maybe, but still good.
    LBGE
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I love my XL. I'd like another egg, but I've got a list a mile long of toys that I'd like to buy. New guitar, new imac, new ipad, new band saw, new router, new router table...Holy crap, no wonder I'm broke!

In all seriousness, the XL is a great choice. I have had no regrets. If I can get another egg later, I'll probably buy a medium to compliment the XL.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm not allowed to buy anymore guitars. :( (well, not really but I'll catch hell)
    Options
    I'm not allowed to buy anymore guitars. :( (well, not really but I'll catch hell)
    So alike, yet so different.  I am not allowed to buy another concertina or flintlock
    >:)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    Options
    Momma play a squeeze box, daddy never sleeps at night....
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    So alike, yet so different.  I am not allowed to buy another concertina or flintlock
    >:)
    Although the frizzen is not in the ready position, and the pan is probably not full of 4F, It's generally not a good idea to place your hands over the "business end" of the barrel.

Don't mind me, I'm just spouting lingo I know you'll understand.  Actually, I was hunting with a friend one time.  He had a cocked percussion and was standing just as you are in the picture.  Not a good idea.
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Right you are VI, I was imitating a famous FL painting with what I personally knew was a safe firearm, but I acknowledge I broke the rules..  I'm a range safety officer, and I surely know the rules.  I would get all over someone at the range for this, but this was a special circumstance.

That is a .58 Christian Springs rifle.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    Options
    Doc holiday...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    henapple very well said, but what about the restaurants that are losing eggheads' business?
    :)
    canuckland
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Shocked that nobody has jumped in and said something like "In 6 months, you'll have gotten rid of the gasser and charcoal grills"

It all comes down to how many people you are going to feed regularly. You will be surprised how much you can fit on a large. 3 racks of ribs are easy.

I like my large and have never regretted it, but then most of our cooks are for two. When we do cook for groups it's usually less than 10. As much as I like my large, I like my large/mini combo even more.

Whatever you get, you are gonna be happy, that's for sure. You're life will change.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Options
    I have a L, S and mini.  I really wish i had the XL too.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    henapple- Well played indeed! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.