Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why are veggies so hard to enjoy?

BigWader
BigWader Posts: 673
edited October 2012 in Vegetables

Doctor says I should eat more veggies and I am really ready this time to try.  Problem is I get no enjoyment out of the "usual" types of foods/salads etc.  I find myself lately eating quick steamed/still crispy or raw veggies as side dishes but not everyone in the clan can get on board with it... so I need some BGE help -

What are your favorite veggie cooks (and I don't mean corn - that's basically a starch) unless it is a part of something compounded. Hellllpppp and my doctor will thank you.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• I agree with you.  Not many veggies I care for.  Wife loves them all but I am very veggie limited.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    small zucccinnis and summer squash sliced up thin, stewed tomatoes and sauce. cheese, american and cheddar. casserole dish, layer it all out sqaush, cheese, tomatoes, squash, tomatoes, cheese, bake it at 375 til squash is soft and cheese browns. its actually a cook i look forward too
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigWader
    I do love me some cheese!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    try some dizzy pig pineapple head or dizzy dust on them while cooking adds a new flavor twist 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    No idea at all.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Actually, to be more helpful.  We do mixed veggies almost every night.  Do them in a basket, at about 350 and stir every 10 minutes for 20 or thirty minutes.  Use a lot of garlic, and pepper and sea salt.

Alternative is sweet potato.

Soy sauce or Brill's can add flavor.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2012
    BigWader said:
    I do love me some cheese!

Just follow Doc Eggerton. he cooks veg every day. he's lost weight, gotten healthier, and had a hell of a good time doing it. I love grilled squash, zucchini, cauliflower. Here is great roasted cauliflower recipe (don't hate till you try it) :) 2lbs cauliflower (1 head)' 2-4 tbsp EVOO cut the florets off the head in 8 wedges lay on a foli lined cookie sheet drizzle with 1/2 the oil, then flip and drizzle the other half of the oil. lay flat on the cookie sheet and cover ti all with foil cook for 10 minutes then remove foil 10 minutes more then flip and do 10 minutes more season with Salt and Pepper to taste. This method will caramelize them all up on all sides and it makes it crispy outside and gooey inside. It's always my favorite thing on the table when she makes it Credit Cooks Illustrated for the recipe You can do roasted potatoes the same way but the times vary a bit (not sure what those are at the moment)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • god i hate that ipad does not let you write things in a list. when you post, it goes to 1 run on sentence. sorry
  • Doc_Eggerton
    I will have to try that CTS.  Big Wader, don't forget cooking inside.  Steamed broccoli and green beans.  I love peas out of our garden, either raw or cooked.  We occasionally do raw carrots, peppers, and tomatoes.

• fishlessman
    asparagus is also a good roasted veggie, oil salt or rub, roast, wrap it with prosciutto annd roast puts it over the top
    fukahwee maine

• asparagus is also a good roasted veggie, oil salt or rub, roast, wrap it with prosciutto annd roast puts it over the top

+1. Love that
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    our simple favorite is slices of sweet potatoes (the white ones, not as sweet as the orange ones, the orange ones are yams but delicious this way too) thick about 1/4 in or so in planks and brush with evoo and crack salt and pepper on them.  grill for about 10 min (or so a side) until they are soft, they get a nice char on the grill.  
  • I usually do the meat on the Egg, and my GF usually does the sides.  She does a pretty mean "roasted veggies" and here's what she does:

Take your favorite veggies (we usually do either cauliflower or a mixture of several different kinds) and put 'em in a ziploc bag.  Then, pour some olive oil in there, and then add some crushed garlic.  Make sure you shake the bag good to get the olive oil & garlic all over.  

Then put 'em on a pan / cookie sheet (for the Egg, maybe a basket might work), then add salt & pepper.  

She said she bakes them in the toaster oven @ 400 for about 25 min.  

When they're done, there'll be some browned bits of veggies (she calls them "crunchies") - and OH MAN are they good!!  

We really like this as a side, and it's very easy to do!!!

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Great ideas.
    I too am looking to add vegies to the cooks.
    Thanks
  • To answer your question, maybe because you're not cooking them properly?  Take any combination of veggies, slice, brush with olive oil, salt & pepper & cook direct over high heat.  On a plate they look pretty good & taste even better:

• Everyday, thousands of innocent plants are killed by vegetarians.

Help end the violence !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    To answer your question, maybe because you're not cooking them properly?  Take any combination of veggies, slice, brush with olive oil, salt & pepper & cook direct over high heat.  On a plate they look pretty good & taste even better:

Those look great.

What type of pan do you use on the grill?  Your picture shows many vegies--can you share what they all are?

Thanks

• thanks, and sure, there are sweet potatoes, asparagus, yellow and red bell peppers, squash, portobello mushrooms, zuchinni (& in the middle some abt's, gotta have some bacon right).  There is no pan on the grill, they are just done direct on the grill.

As a side note, I do them in shifts, one veggie at a time so they cook evenly, then remove them to a cooling rack while the next one is on; I've found that if you put them directly on a plate they tend to leach out a lot of water then you end up with a less than appetizing plate swimming in a puddle, kills the flavor too somewhat.  When cooled I transfer them to the serving plate & serve at room temp - a plate like the one shown in the picture makes a nice addition at a party, particularly when next to a plate of meat

• Doc_Eggerton
    McNuttly said:

To answer your question, maybe because you're not cooking them properly?  Take any combination of veggies, slice, brush with olive oil, salt & pepper & cook direct over high heat.  On a plate they look pretty good & taste even better:

+1

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Cen-Tex is right...the roasted broccoli is awesome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    McNuttly said:

thanks, and sure, there are sweet potatoes, asparagus, yellow and red bell peppers, squash, portobello mushrooms, zuchinni (& in the middle some abt's, gotta have some bacon right).  There is no pan on the grill, they are just done direct on the grill.

As a side note, I do them in shifts, one veggie at a time so they cook evenly, then remove them to a cooling rack while the next one is on; I've found that if you put them directly on a plate they tend to leach out a lot of water then you end up with a less than appetizing plate swimming in a puddle, kills the flavor too somewhat.  When cooled I transfer them to the serving plate & serve at room temp - a plate like the one shown in the picture makes a nice addition at a party, particularly when next to a plate of meat

Great information. If you still have your gasser around, set it up for very low indirect and put the cooling rack on indirect side, move the veggies off the hot egg to the cooling rack, keeps the veggies warm without cooking them too much more and they don't "pee" all over the plate. 

Another healthy solution is a traditional, simple sweet and sour or hot and sour veggie stir fry. Any low cal dressing can be used to flavor a stir fry, we prefer Greek or Italian. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigWader
    McNuttly said:

I've got an Italian friend who did similar for a dinner party and they were very good.  good idea about cooking them in batches - maybe why I've never had luck with zuchini - it always seems to get overcooked.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Wok!  I always HATED vegetables.  That is all changing.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Wok!  I always HATED vegetables.  That is all changing.
    LOL, looks good.

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768

Here's another good use of veggies, cauliflower to be specific with a bunch of others on top.  I'm not sure the link below will work but if not the post can be found by searching collie flower

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1096636

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • I always do eggplant. A favorite is a sandwich with eggplant, roasted red peppers, onions, a bit of marinara, and mozzarella. I grill off the eggplant, onions, and peppers, then toast up some ciabatta, then put it all together and put the sandwiches on the egg till the cheese is melted. It's pretty good.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    We all eat with our eyes. What looks good just might taste good. Always make sure when combining veggies that they are colorful. Roast a spaghetti squash. Grill mushrooms, onions, assorted peppers, garlic and squash. Cut them into large chunks and toss them with a can of your favorite tomatoes and chili spices and serve over the spaghetti squash. Very tasty and colorful.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • BigWader

I want a wok - and here's how the conversation will go...

me - "Honey I need another $100 in eggcessories for a wok to eat healthier"

wife - "Okay dear - just like you needed a treadmill and home gym to exercise... will the wok hold our laundry too?"

me - "As always dear - you are right and I'm going to start using that treadmill just as soon as the wok is properly seasoned ;-)"

Seriously though - a wok is on my wish list for sure.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• fishlessman
    BigWader said:

I want a wok - and here's how the conversation will go...

me - "Honey I need another $100 in eggcessories for a wok to eat healthier"

wife - "Okay dear - just like you needed a treadmill and home gym to exercise... will the wok hold our laundry too?"

me - "As always dear - you are right and I'm going to start using that treadmill just as soon as the wok is properly seasoned ;-)"

Seriously though - a wok is on my wish list for sure.

a wok is one of the cheaper accessories, i paid 23 dollars in downtown boston for 2 of them
    fukahwee maine

•  
    a wok is one of the cheaper accessories, i paid 23 dollars in downtown boston for 2 of them

And a spider to put it on.  While you're at it you may as well order an adjustable rig combo.  There is NO END to this.
    My actuary says I'm dead.