Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Granite pad for BGE XL

Options
jeroldharter
jeroldharter Posts: 556
edited October 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I have searched and read what I can find about potential problems with heat by placing the egg on a granite slab. My question is whether anyone has cracked a granite slab with heatfrom the egg or damaged any wood framing under the granite?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yes.  I've read about granite cracking from the heat.  It's not much different than concrete in heat conductance.  It's generally very heat resistant.  You need to protect wood under it or have an air gap.  Fat or thick grained granite is more susceptible than fine grained to stress fractures.  Put the egg on some feet and you'll be fine in any case.
    I don't have feet and read they are not recommended for the XL. I am thinking about using 4 firebricks for feet. Good idea?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you won't be devastated if the granite does crack, and if the granite is not directly laying on wood, I think you'll be fine.  I've heard of it cracking, but it's very rare.  Also, that granite needs to be able to expand - so if it's grouted in a stone base, for example, you may introduce thermal stress that makes it or something else crack.  Need an expansion joint.

Firebricks, of course, are fine.  So is cement.
    Yes I am still trying to get my granite contractor out to repair my crack. I placed our large BGE directly on a granite slab after asking my dealer if the little legs were required. They said no problem with direct contact. Anyway the first cook was multiple pizza's and the heat was really rocking and rolling. After the cook I noticed a crack. Since then I put the egg on a table stand. Very cool under the unit and not any problems so far. At least the crack is not getting worse and hopefully will be repaired this week.

Bottom line is I would NOT recommend placing the BGE directly on granite. It may be the version we used as it does have a lot of color to it and from what I hear the more varied the granite the less strong it actually is. The grain of the stone is weaker but the color is really nice. I guess with a very simple pattern granite it may survive just fine. Not what I have experienced.
  • jn_austin
    Options
    BTW - The mounting area for ours did have an expansion area though it was grouted in. In general I can wiggle the granite piece the egg is placed on. I honestly don't think it was due to the entire slab growing but rather a possible inclusion in the grain or even some trapped water or an air bubble that may have been heated and that is what caused the issue. The granite folks say they see that happen from time to time.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Thanks for chiming in on this jn_austin.  I think your post was part of the basis for my response. 
    edited October 2012
    Options
    @jeroldharter, the ceramic feet (if that's what you mean) may not be recommended, but the table nest is OK, It is made by BGE and if you are going to the expense of granite, why would you mess it up with fire bricks?

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    @jeroldharter, the ceramic feet (if that's what you mean) may not be recommended, but the table nest is OK, It is made by BGE and if you are going to the expense of granite, why would you mess it up with fire bricks?

I can't believe I have never noticed or seen those little table nests. That's what I need. Ordered one immediately but will use 4 firebricks in the meantime. Thanks everyone for the helpful input.
  • ambrodsky
    Options
    I believe the table nests were a new accessory for this year when they stopped shipping the eggs with feet.