Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Travis' Brisket Method

EazyE
EazyE Posts: 67
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know there are tons of threads on this, but cant seem to find this. I am still pretty new, so these may be dumb questions to you experts. But, what you guys recommend using for a liquid other than the Allegro? My wife and kids dont like hot and spicy stuff. I was just going to use a can of beef broth, but would you recommend anything better/different. Also, another dumb question, but I dont drink Shiner bock, or any dark beers for that matter. Would use a can of plain old Bud Light work for the beer? I am looking forward to trying this method, but I want to tweak it a little, but any comments or suggestions on these questions would be appreciated! Thanks !

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The beer doesn't matter and you can use almost any liquid marinade instead of allegro. (Small caveat, I think something like dales would be too salty)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • EazyE
    Thanks Travis. Anything you would recommend instead of just beef broth. I don't want it to be too plain, but not to hot and spicy at the same time. I figured I couldn't go wrong with beef broth, but any other suggestions!
  • I used the original Allegro not the hot and spicy
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • travisstrick
    Allegro has many different kinds of marinades. I'd try one of them.
  • EazyE
    Awesome. Thanks guys. Last question. I am not familiar with Allegro at all. Can you pick that up at any major grocery store like Dillons(Kroger) Hyvee, Walmart?? Or is it a specialty product?
  • EazyE said:
    Awesome. Thanks guys. Last question. I am not familiar with Allegro at all. Can you pick that up at any major grocery store like Dillons(Kroger) Hyvee, Walmart?? Or is it a specialty product?

it's everywhere.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I have bought it at Harris Teeter and Food lion ( in southern Va)
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Publix, Bilo, Kroger, Ingles in the Southeast.  They never have a big section of it...typically close to the 'specialty marinades' (read not KC  Masterpiece).   
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• EazyE
    So is there any flavor of the Allegro other than the hot and spicy that you guys would recommend?
  • EazyE said:
    So is there any flavor of the Allegro other than the hot and spicy that you guys would recommend?
    Yep- the regular is just fine. No heat, just salty

• travisstrick
    EazyE said:
    I've heard the hickory is pretty good. 
  • I used the regular it has a soy sauce taste
  • EazyE said:
    I'm leery of anything with liquid smoke. But that's just me. Hate that stuff
  • EazyE said:
    I've worked for the perfect fajita marinade for many years.  I finally think I'm finally close.  It contains coffee, but also Liquid Smoke.  Cooking the skirt steak (or flap) is much too quick to get a smokey taste from wood chips, so Liquid Smoke does the job.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I hear liquid smoke is actually made from real, bona fide smoke.
    I've worked for the perfect fajita marinade for many years.  I finally think I'm finally close.  It contains coffee, but also Liquid Smoke.  Cooking the skirt steak (or flap) is much too quick to get a smokey taste from wood chips, so Liquid Smoke does the job.
    ready to share?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012

ready to share?

Like I said, I'm not 100% there, but close.  If you improve on it, please pass it back to me.  I don't have the measurements for the ingredients, just the ingredients themselves.  I'm still playing with using Chipotle in Adobo sauce.

2-3 pound  Skirt steak, or flap steak

Coffee grounds  

Liquid smoke

Worcestershire sauce

Garlic powder

Directions:

Score both sides of steak

Mix marinate ingredients and marinate for 30 minutes to an hour

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• ready to share?

Like I said, I'm not 100% there, but close.  If you improve on it, please pass it back to me.  I don't have the measurements for the ingredients, just the ingredients themselves.  I'm still playing with using Chipotle in Adobo sauce.

2-3 pound  Skirt steak, or flap steak

Coffee grounds  

Liquid smoke

Worcestershire sauce

Garlic powder

Directions:

Score both sides of steak

Mix marinate ingredients and marinate for 30 minutes to an hour

looks awesome. I'm going to try it this week. 

I use citrus- usually pineapple or sour orange and achiote in varying degrees in mine. Those are fun to play with.

Thanks!