Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help Buying A Wok

r270ba
r270ba Posts: 763
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok I am going to have to get me a Wok.  I know everyone here likes the Wok Shop.  Can someone point me in the right direction as to what to buy?  I have also looked on Amazon and I do like the instant gratification of buying from them, so I will take suggestions from either place. 

I have an XL BGE but no Woo and I also have propane burners.  Didin't know what shape wok, material, etc. that I needed to be buying.

Thanks in advance!

Ron
Anderson, SC
XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Talk to Gary or Richard and then call Ms Chan at the Wok Shop. Tell her you are an EggHead....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    In 1981 I had the good luck to be seated next to Stephen Yan on a five hour flight from Vancouver to Ottawa. He inspired, and I mean inspired me,  to try Cantonese cooking. He had a TV cooking show called "Wok with Yan" Life changer.

I don't wok on my egg, there are lots who do and really enjoy it. I just don't have the temp control on the egg, and it seems it always requires oven glove/mitt to move the wok. Only seen this at demos.

I use a propane burner (a turkey burner) for my 16" round bottom, spun carbon steel, long wooden handle 30 year old wok (bought at a store in Vancouver's Chinatown). My 10" flat bottom, hammered, long handle is used on my gasser's side burner. The 14" flat bottom hasn't been used much since SWMBO insisted on replacing our electric coil top stove with the glass top piece of furniture we now have in the kitchen. (We do not have access to gas in our kitchen). All wokking is now done outside. 

I like the long wooden handle, allows you to quickly move food like a saute pan as well as stirring. I use bamboo on the hammered, steel tools on the spun, was told to do it and have never changed. 

If you want to wok on your egg I think you want to get a woo and round bottom wok with ear handles. You could still use with your burners if the support ring fits around the burner (like on a gasser) or if the burner allows the round bottom to sit above the flame (some turkey fryer burners have a flat support for the pot). If you have gas or coil electric in the house, a flat bottom might be a better choice, it can do duty on the egg, burners or in the house. 

Good luck. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • r270ba said:

I have an XL BGE but no Woo and I also have propane burners.  Didin't know what shape wok, material, etc. that I needed to be buying.

Travisstrick is a wokker and he has an XL.  Richard and I have Larges.  Don't listen to us.  I like a 16" round bottom with "D" handles on a spider, and Richard likes a 14" flat bottom with a wooden handle on the grate.

Travis likes his setup.  Hopefully, he will chime in.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I use a 20" hand hammered carbon steel wok. It has a round bottom and D shaped handles.

I got mine from mrs Tane Chen at the wok shop.

If you have an XL don't get a smaller wok or you will burn yourself every time you use it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My recommendation is round bottom carbon steel with the loop handles.  The flat bottoms are only there for cooking on a stove top or grate.  The round bottom lets you grab and stir food better with round spoons. 
    ...and if it gets too cold to wok outside, you can always race them.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wok_racing
    My recommendation is round bottom carbon steel with the loop handles.  The flat bottoms are only there for cooking on a stove top or grate.  The round bottom lets you grab and stir food better with round spoons. 
    So you are saying, if I have the burners outside and want to cook on burners then I should go with flat bottom and if I want to Egg Wok then I should go with round?
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    ...and if it gets too cold to wok outside, you can always race them.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wok_racing
    Too funny!
    Anderson, SC

• nolaegghead
    edited October 2012

r270ba said:
    So you are saying, if I have the burners outside and want to cook on burners then I should go with flat bottom and if I want to Egg Wok then I should go with round?
    They make wok rings to hold the wok.  They have spiders at the ceramicgrillstore.com http://ceramicgrillstore.com/large-spider-big-green-egg.html.  You can put the ring on any grate or stove top (as long as it isn't electric or induction).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=wok ring&sprefix=wok r&rh=i:aps,k:wok ring

r270ba said:
    They make wok rings to hold the wok.  They have spiders at the ceramicgrillstore.com http://ceramicgrillstore.com/large-spider-big-green-egg.html.  You can put the ring on any grate or stove top (as long as it isn't electric or induction).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=wok ring&sprefix=wok r&rh=i:aps,k:wok ring
    Cool so I can buy a round bottom then that would work for my XL egg and then the wok ring would let me use it on the burners.  Correct?
    Anderson, SC

• nolaegghead
    Yep!
    edited October 2012
    The 20" should be perfect for the XLRG with metal "D" handles.
    I use both a 14" or 16" round bottom "D" handles with spider on my large and also as VI pointed out I use a wood handle 14" on the grate of the large and my cooktop stove with a wok ring.
      My preference is the wood handle as it gives me more control over the wok and I also have been cooking most of my wok meals the last few years on my Oriental Tao.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1151884&catid=1

Here are some Wok Ramblings that have been put together to help wokkers..

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1277637&catid=1

• r270ba
    Thanks Richard!
    Anderson, SC