Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serious question. Has the BGE's been linked to sickness or fevers?

firebike
firebike Posts: 39
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I think I caught some thing with my new medium. It made me buy a mini for the camper. Now I am wondering what is going to happen next. Thankfully I haven't caught the "buying pallets of lump" fever yet, though I feel it is coming on.

Comments

• You're fine until your symptoms include empty wallets and/or spousal separation agreements. One may actually lead to the next, but in either order. At that point, immediate admission to the Eggtensive Care Unit may be necessary.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    As the owner of an XL, 2 large, and a small egg with a mini and another xl in the near future, it isn't a fever. It's an addiction!!!!!!!!! there is only one cure for it, an understanding family that likes to eat.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You're stimulating the economy.  Take out two new credit cards and call me in the morning.
    I've got a fever. I've got a fever and the only cure is more Egg stuff. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Yep you caught it and it isn't curable...Just go with the flow :D
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    In my best zombie voice,    lump....lump....lump....

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    I've got a fever. I've got a fever and the only cure is more Egg stuff. 
    I tried more cowbell, but it didn't make my belly stick out enough.  So I got the egg.  's'all good.
    You can never have enough cowbell.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    While I understand why people buy more then one egg, I don't understand why people buy so many bags of lump. I buy 1 or 2 bags when on sale and when I am getting low I just go get more. I also would have no where to store that much.
  • nolaegghead

Adamd said:
    While I understand why people buy more then one egg, I don't understand why people buy so many bags of lump. I buy 1 or 2 bags when on sale and when I am getting low I just go get more. I also would have no where to store that much.
    It makes people happy.
  • nolaegghead

Many stores up here in the north stop carrying lump after Labor Day so just like a squirrel who stores nuts for the winter, Eggheads store lump.
    I've head about that.  I guess it just doesn't sell, and it's on the seasonal chopping block for Halloween, Christmas and Easter retail space.   Only eggs really work well in the winter, or at least they have the only owners crazy enough to venture out into the cold to BBQ.
    I think I caught some thing with my new medium. It made me buy a mini for the camper. Now I am wondering what is going to happen next. Thankfully I haven't caught the "buying pallets of lump" fever yet, though I feel it is coming on.
    I think that sickness is getting me. I have a large and a small and thinking about buying an XL just because I want a larger egg.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Gotta admit to the same "problem" here.  I'm picking up a large BGE demo at the Plano Eggfest in a few weeks - my first egg - and I think I've already decided to buy myself a small for Christmas.
  • I've got a fever. I've got a fever and the only cure is more Egg stuff. 
    That's weird? I've got a fever too and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL! I gotta have more cowbell! :)
  • Don't forget to check the forum several times per day. Preferably while on the crapper. Nobody can bother you there.

Oh, and the pallets of lump, it saves me money...to buy another egg, which in turn will require more lump. Vicious cycle.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    jlsm said:
    You can never have enough cowbell.
    Genius!

Doc, would be very interested in the time to deplete that mountain.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I keep around 400 pounds on hand at all times but it is made up of many different types, each of which adds more or less smoke to my cooks.  Halls Hill (hickory and Pecan), RO/BGE, Dragon Breath, Weekend Warrior, Humphreys, etc.  Each of these charcoals impart a different taste to chicken, beef, pork, and fish.  I love just trying each type on each recipe and find the combination I like best.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Many stores up here in the north stop carrying lump after Labor Day so just like a squirrel who stores nuts for the winter, Eggheads store lump.
    @Fred19Flintstone, (may be different in Michigan) I noticed my local Canadian Tire Store removed all the seasonal BBq stuff, now its Hallowistmas time. Checking on-line, the store still had stock of 8Kg bags of RO for $12.97. Asked at the service desk and they brought 4 bags out for me. Told me there was at least 30 left in the "back", Check with your local store to see if they still have it, just not on display. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Hallowistmas...like it. I guess the retailers skip Thanksgiving.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Do you save a lot of $ buying lump by bulk?

< class="Quote" rel="c">Don't forget to check the forum several times per day. Preferably while on the crapper. Nobody can bother you there.

Oh, and the pallets of lump, it saves me money...to buy another egg, which in turn will require more lump. Vicious cycle.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    henapple said:
    Hallowistmas...like it. I guess the retailers skip Thanksgiving.
    Canadian, so yes as Thanksgiving is over, same as Columbus Day....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I have an XL, Mini, and am picking up a well-priced Large tomorrow.  $699 including Nest
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • @henapple I do save money by buying in bulk. I use Humphrey Lump Charcoal. For 1 pallet of 30 20lb bags I paid the same cost per pound as royal oak. For 2 pallets I got an additional discount and paid about $.50/lb less than Royal Oak. I would save more if I didn't have to pay shipping. The plant is in PA where I live. If I drove on my own to pick it up I would pay $10/ 20lb bag. With shipping I pay $14/ 20lb bag. The plant is too far to justify the drive with today's fuel cost. I'd break even on driving vs having it shipped to a local hub.

For the record, I love Humphrey. All pieces are nice and big with very little dust.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Many stores up here in the north stop carrying lump after Labor Day so just like a squirrel who stores nuts for the winter, Eggheads store lump.
    @Fred19Flintstone, (may be different in Michigan) I noticed my local Canadian Tire Store removed all the seasonal BBq stuff, now its Hallowistmas time. Checking on-line, the store still had stock of 8Kg bags of RO for $12.97. Asked at the service desk and they brought 4 bags out for me. Told me there was at least 30 left in the "back", Check with your local store to see if they still have it, just not on display. 
    Shhhhh!  Don't tell Wilma, but I found a store that carries lump year-round.  They supply a local restaurant so I kind of horn in on their supplier!  I hoard a little because it's a habit from when I cooked on my Weber kettle.  I had to stock up on Kingsford because that's not easy to find in January.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead