Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Rib suggestions

JohnB
JohnB Posts: 183
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to cook some short ribs tomorrow. My plan was to braise them in my over and finish them on the egg. I was wondering if anyone here had any favorite recipes or suggestions.

thanks!

John

Comments

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Check this out. I still haven't got around to it yet but now that its getting colder I'm going to try it.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1136941/braised-short-ribs-in-a-red-wine-sauce
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I did some last night, but I didn't use the egg at all (sad face).  They came out great (happy face).

I rubbed the short ribs with DP Raising the Steaks, threw them in the pressure cooker, added onions and carrots and most of a Shiner Bock Bohemian Black Lager that's been sitting in my shop fridge for eons.  Cooked about 65 minutes on high (digital pressure cooker - it rocks). 

I should have added some smoke like Mike8it, but I was just too lazy.
    edited October 2012
    I did some shawt ribs a while back.  I wish I took better notes as to exactly what I did, but they turned out pretty darn good. 

I used Pirates Gold marinade and marinated using the food saver canister.  I put them on the egg for 275 for a 2 or 3 hours and then wrapped them in foil for about an hour.  I decided to make up a glaze and I used some teriyaki sauce I had in the fridge, honey, and grape jelly and heated/mixed in a sauce pot on the stove.  I took them out of the foil and glazed them a few times (about 30 minutes). 

They turned out pretty good!  I would definitely try again.  I think the grape jelly in the glaze was the key ingredient :)

Something I will try next time- make the glaze from the marinade.  Just bring the marinade to a boil, then add honey and jelly until it looks the right consistency.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Thanks -- I think I'm going to do a variant of the grill and braise. Unfortunately my Dutch oven isn't large enough for all the ribs I have so the braising will be done inside.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Whatever you plan to braise them on in the oven...wrap the bottom of that vessel in foil, then do it on the egg instead ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ahhhh....gotta love the purists :)  Even when you couldn't possibly get any smoke flavor (IE braising in a DO with lid), it's always better to do it in the egg than the oven.  

Well, if you have the egg going anyway, why not?  If you're heating your house, save on your heating bill by using the oven.
    Ahhhh....gotta love the purists :)  Even when you couldn't possibly get any smoke flavor (IE braising in a DO with lid), it's always better to do it in the egg than the oven.  

Well, if you have the egg going anyway, why not?  If you're heating your house, save on your heating bill by using the oven.
    I have to admit, I cooked my last 2 loaves of bread in the kitchen stove mostly because I wanted the heat in the house. And I'm glad 1 turned out really well. But tomorrows loaf I hope to Egg 'cause the bread usually comes out better.

Here's my notions about this.

My last kitchen oven temperature fluctuated wildly. The new one, not so much. The old one was awful. With a temperature setting of 450 for baking, it would drop to 400, and then boost up to 600. That's not accounting for the temperature drop when the door was opened, and most of the heat poured out.  The Egg does drop when the dome is raised, but all the ceramics help moderate that, and the steady burn of the lump also smooths the temperature. For bread, at least, where I want no smoke, the Egg is better.

To the OP. Personally, I'd Egg the short ribs first. Get them as smoky as possible. Maybe even cook them direct for the most browning. Then braise them in a DO for tenderness. The flavor that washes off should be good added to gravy or sauce.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869

They turned out pretty good!  I would definitely try again.  I think the grape jelly in the glaze was the key ingredient :)

Something I will try next time- make the glaze from the marinade.  Just bring the marinade to a boil, then add honey and jelly until it looks the right consistency.
    Next time try Kentucky Jelly.
    :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mad Max on the other forum does them on the egg and I think he uses disposable aluminum pans and foil

Steve 

Caledon, ON