Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multiple Egg Benefit?

Hashmaker
Hashmaker Posts: 149
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I currently have a large and use it at least three days a week. It meets the needs of my small family but I really want another one. My thinking is to go with a medium because it would be easier to take along tail-gating, camping, on vacation, to make side dishes during low and slow cooks, things like that. To those that have multiple eggs, what are your thoughts?
Thanks for any opinions or advice!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    We have 2 larges, a small and a mini...most days it is just my wife & I eating. We use the small more than any other BGE. I always recommend the large + small combo...you can't go wrong with that combo... 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited October 2012
    I added a small to my egg family last week and took it camping this past weekend. It was great and I shared some great food with relatives that had not ever had food from our large egg back home. Once the neighbors start smelling it you won't have to worry about animals getting your leftovers, there won't be any! I will also be taking it over to a friends for a mobile pizza party. It will get used at home too, I just haven't yet.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    Isn't the standard mantra - always get bigger if you can? 

If you can transport the medium, it would be much closer to what you are used to. If size and weight, transport is any concern, the small would be ideal. 
    Two really different needs here, tailgating, (from my experience) is much more like being at home, lots of food, lots of people - the medium is the right choice. Vacation or camping, portability is the prime desired benefit, usually smaller groups - the small is ideal. 
    Tough choice, although you might get a volume discount if you got one of each....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I have a large and a medium. It is great to be able to make appetizers or sides while doing a low and slow.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited October 2012
    We have two larges, a small and a mini just like vidalia1.  With just my wife and I at home our larges have become the smokers and bakers and the small and mini catch most of the day to day duty.  Many times when I cook steaks or chops I fire both of them up and do the searing on the mini and finish them off on the small with a raised grid.

To be honest I don't think you could go wrong with a medium or a small for your second egg however, I would lean towards the small for ease of transporting, etc.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    I have an XL and a small.  Use them both frequently for all of the reasons others listed.  I can't speak to the medium specifically but I think the small is the biggest egg I would want to deal with if transporting.
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Also, there seems to be more accessories for the small.  The medium seems to be the forgotten egg.....
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I have a large, small and a mini. We use the mini the most as it is usually only the two of us. However, i would recommend the large and a small for versatility. I take the small on an annual group fly fishing trip and last time I smoked an 8.5# pork butt with ease.

Lastly, I can lift a small out of my back pickup seat with ease. I'm not sure I could handle a medium very well by myself.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    2 larges, small and mini here also. I use the small and mini the most since they are out front in the garage by the ping pong table and the keg. Soon I am going to build new tables and put a large and mini out front and an XL and small out back. I have traveled with a medium and a small before and the small is much easier to move around. If you are just doing burgers and dogs you can fit a crap load of sausages/dogs on the small or 6 big burgers at a time.

• Hashmaker
    edited October 2012
    Ok. First, thanks for the input. It looks like my next two purchases are the Party Q and a small egg. Second...No, I don't think I have a problem at all!!
  • jrog74
    jrog74 Posts: 42
    You guys and girls that have 4 eggs, where do you keep them all? Do you just have them lined up on the back patio? I am just trying to visualize the beauty of 4 eggs in the back yard. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2012

Hard to beat a small for travel.  Build a simple transport and tailgate table, you're good to go.

I can belly up to the table with the small and innards, no problems.  Use wood shims to secure the innards, and tie down with bungees during transport.  Brought my small back to IL through the Appalachians and it passed the ultimate test.

jrog74,

Used to have a table, ditched it and went with nests and couldn't be happier.  I roll them under the eave, and pull them out when called to duty.  Mobility and different setups with a small table is a plus on a concrete slab. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I started with a Large, got a Small mostly for wokking (the 12" for a single person is perfect).  I didn't go with the Mini as it could only cook one steak; every so often I actually have a dinner date.   ;;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    I have a large and a small. The small was chosen, for two reasons, first it is very practical for the two of us and the second reason is, we have enjoyed the large egg and the quality of food off of it, that we wanted to be able to take an egg camping or tailgating. The small is perfect for us, we have easily grilled for 4 adults, and have even accomplished 6 adults and 3 grandchildren at one meal while camping. Go for it,, the second egg will also come in handy at home too.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited October 2012

We have an XL, Large, Small, and Mini.  Nice to have smaller Eggs for portability and multiple Eggs for simultaneous cooking at different temps.  I like being able to use an Egg that is a good match size-wise to whatever I'm cooking to be really efficient with lump. 

@jrog74 - Your question makes me realize that I haven't taken a complete Egg family photo yet!  This is as close as I get (3 out of 4 Eggs - older pic before I sold the Weber OTP and added the Large and a couple other cookers 8-} ): 

Today my XL and L are on the patio but on opposite ends.  The Small and Mini sit in the garage and come out to the patio as needed (often for day-to-day cooking).

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Hashmaker
    @ R2Egg2Q...that's impressive! One day I hope to be in a position to have those kinds of options. How long has it taken you to acquire such a collection?
  • R2Egg2Q
    About 4 years but most of the acquisitions have taken place in the last 2 1/2 yrs when I got Egg #1 and the addiction really took off.  I need to sell the gasser to make some space.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • John,

You know that's not normal....right? 
    ;;)
  • R2Egg2Q
    Yeah buddy, I know.  But I never said I'm normal :-\"  I'll be the first to admit I have a problem! 

Bay Area, CA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @r2egg2q- Is that a Darth Maul edition of the WSM? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Um, speaking of problems I havr 4 large eggs, 1 each XL, Medium, Small and Mini 8-}
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    @r2egg2q

I love the covered area.  What is the material you used for the posts and the top (I am assuming a lexan or something for the top)?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• R2Egg2Q

You have a good eye. It is a drum smoker I painted to look like Darth Maul. Works similar to a WSM.

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    r270ba said:

@r2egg2q

I love the covered area.  What is the material you used for the posts and the top (I am assuming a lexan or something for the top)?
    Posts are metal covered by fiberglass columns. Top is aluminum louvers. Here's a link to the manufacturer: http://equinoxroof.com/products/

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q

Um, speaking of problems I havr 4 large eggs, 1 each XL, Medium, Small and Mini 8-}

Do you compete LS? Only folks I know with 3+ Larges have them for competitions.

Bay Area, CA
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    I have an XL and a medium. I use my medium most of the time. It heats up faster and burns a LOT less charcoal. The XL is great for packers, racks of ribs, and grilling for parties but I use the medium just about every day.
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I have an XL and a large. I use the XL the most and have a lump reducing ring to help conserve lump unless I'm doing a low and slow.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • R2Egg2Q said:

We have an XL, Large, Small, and Mini.  Nice to have smaller Eggs for portability and multiple Eggs for simultaneous cooking at different temps.  I like being able to use an Egg that is a good match size-wise to whatever I'm cooking to be really efficient with lump. 

@jrog74 - Your question makes me realize that I haven't taken a complete Egg family photo yet!  This is as close as I get (3 out of 4 Eggs - older pic before I sold the Weber OTP and added the Large and a couple other cookers 8-} ): 

Today my XL and L are on the patio but on opposite ends.  The Small and Mini sit in the garage and come out to the patio as needed (often for day-to-day cooking).

Is that a Darth Maul WSM I see?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    R2Egg2Q said:
    @r2egg2q

Posts are metal covered by fiberglass columns. Top is aluminum louvers. Here's a link to the manufacturer: http://equinoxroof.com/products/

Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    R2Egg2Q said:
    You have a good eye. It is a drum smoker I painted to look like Darth Maul. Works similar to a WSM.
    Sweet!  Somehow I thought you might be a star wars fan.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.