Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 Eggs for sale OR learn how to cook vegetables

2»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    After trying a few grilled portobella mushroom recipes I could give up steak if I had to.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Wow Mickey- TFJ was veggie for 10+ years. I'll have her dig out some of her old faves and I'll email them to you. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I'd make a tofu joke, but this is too serious to jest.  Sorry to hear it, my friend.  X_X

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I have to agree with some here that there may be some over reaction by the Doc.  If she was telling you your arteries were clogging up, that would be one thing.  I think this is another.

Either way, Here is a good grilled german potato salad recipe. It has bacon in it but I would think it would be good with out.  The bacon does add flavor and you could cut it down to a piece or two (moderation isn't a bad thing for any of us).  I make it quite a bit but I leave out the egg.

http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/374/grilled-potato-salad

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Agree.  Nothin' wrong with bacon flavor....it's the fat that's bad.  Sam's Club sells giant bags of real bacon bits for like eight bucks.  Nominal amount of fat, lots-o-flavor.  My problem is I chow down on it right outta the bag.
    Sam's Club sells giant bags of real bacon bits for like eight bucks.  Nominal amount of fat, lots-o-flavor.  My problem is I chow down on it right outta the bag.
    Gahhh!  Why did I have to read that?!?!?   X(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Botch said:
    Sam's Club sells giant bags of real bacon bits for like eight bucks.  Nominal amount of fat, lots-o-flavor.  My problem is I chow down on it right outta the bag.
    Gahhh!  Why did I have to read that?!?!?   X(
    I got scolded by SWMBO for buying a 24 oz bag of shelled pistachios yesterday.  I'm like - stop eating them if they're fattening!

My wife and I go vegan during the week and enjoy one to two meat meals on the weekend.  We fell off of this over the weekend but really it wasn't too bad.  I had the weekend to look forward.  I did notice an improvement in health.

All the best.

• Mickey, I'm sorry to hear that you got some bad news. A suggestion for veggies that I like a lot are eggplant sandwiches. Grill some eggplant and pair with grilled onions, peeled roasted red peppers, and some marinara sauce. Put it all together on some grilled focaccia with melted cheese of your choice-I prefer mozzarella. It's a pretty nice sandwich when you're trying to watch what you eat. Wishing you all the best.
  • We had melted pepperjack cheese in a heated tortilla with salsa on it for supper.  Didn't need no stinkin' meat.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Mickey,

First, no bread, except a small amount of sprouted live bread.  We use Ezekiel bread.  Alzheimer's is considered diabetes type 3.  I was one point away from diabetes type 2, and gave up bread for 4 months.  Next test was right in the middle of the normal zone.  Not sure I have any special advice on veggies, except I do them a lot.  I will be happy to share cooks with you.  You also have the issues of weight and exercise.  Reducing weight makes you produce more insulin receptors, exercise make the ones you have more efficient.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Hey Mickey, we haven't chatted much on the forum, but I have always enjoyed your posts. Cool thing about this forum is you have a lot of good friends who are here to help with some advice, and support. Keep looking up. All the Best.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Zucchini and yellow squash are easy to make.  Slice them length-wise about a 1/4" - 1/2" thick.  Lightly brush with olive oil.  Add pepper and some Italian seasonings.  Cook direct at any temp 325* - 400*.  It only takes a few minutes side. 
    Italian seasonings can be changed out for other seasoning mixes to create variety.

Hope the transition to less meat goes well for you.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Zucchini crab cakes. I posted these a few weeks ago. Here is a link to the thread. They are very good and taste like crab cakes. There isn't an ounce of meat in them.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143612/zuchini-crab-cakes#latest
    Mark Annville, PA
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Tonights dinner was fish with asparagus and rice.  The asparagus stole the show.  In a bowl I mixed up olive oil, balsamic vinegar, 2 diced cloves of garlic, sea salt and black pepper.  I put the asparagus in a gallon ziplock and poured this over it.  Every few minutes I kind of massaged the marinade in.  I only soaked it for maybe 30 minutes.  Put a wooden skewer through all the pieces for ease of flipping and grilled them 4 minutes per side on a raised direct grid.  It was great, will def do again.

I am also in the process of changing my diet and completely empathize with you.  My better half and my daughter have both had dietary changes due to different situations and each time it's been a huge adjustment.  For your sake, and for your families sake (having you around as long as possible) I wish you the best of luck with the change.  Just remember that even if you slip up, that doesn't mean you failed.  One mistake and a turn around is better than one mistake and giving up.

Best of luck to you Mickey,

Frank
  • Made a spinach and pine nut paella the other day.  Wife and I absolutely loved it.

Tons of flavor...no meat.
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    I have a  close friend who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes several years ago and who then had to radically change his diet and drinking habits. It was not a prospect that he looked forward to (read that as a lot of bitching and complaining). Now when we get the gang together he is the healthiest looking person in the room, the changes certainly did him no harm and he still has a sense of humor.
    Our best wishes to you and you may become the go-to-guy for veggie cooks.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Hey Mickey, we haven't chatted much on the forum, but I have always enjoyed your posts. Cool thing about this forum is you have a lot of good friends who are here to help with some advice, and support. Keep looking up. All the Best.
    +1.  We are all with you, and I hope sharing bby all of us helps out eachother, and specifically right now, YOU!  The only way to deal with it is head on.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    just going thru pbucket to see what fits your diet, i think theres lots out there that fits well

lobster dip

pissaladiere

stuffed onion experiment

hominy soup, this one was canned so i know the real stuff must be betterr

spanikopia

salmon en croute

clam stew

what ever you call the cheese thing, blueberries are very good for memory

blueberry and peach abts
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    fishlessman what is on top of the abt's? Also thanks for all the ideas
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Yes, I have to make those blueberry abt's. what all is in there?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i think i whipped the cream cheese and dusted it with a fine sugar, beware, peaches take on the jalapeno heat extremely well, they seem to get hotter than regular abts. theres tons more in pbucket, rare tuna steaks with thai dipping sauce, i have a more meaty tomato type suace that works for overcooked tuna if your not a fan of rare, theres a salmon pie with tomato dill sauce. theres lots you can do, most stirfies are allready there even with beef added in. ive read tomatoes and blueberries are good for memory, go big with tomatoes in stews, with fish, stuffed with rice and a little meat etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Thanks fish...I'm pretty sure I'll be making a batch of those this weekend.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Mickey;

Sorry to hear about your health problems, stay strong. I know how hard it is when life throws you a curve. It's been 3 months since I started chemo and radition for my throat cancer. My tastes buds are starting to come back, but the doctors say it may be another 4 to 6 months before they get back to almost normal. I fired up the egg yesterday, just to smell the smoke and cook some bone-in chicken breasts. They didn't taste as good as they smelled to me, but my wife said they were really good. My diet is also going to change some in the future. Below is something we are making for lunch. I guess since I'm waking up every day, I'm officially a cancer survivor now.

Ingredients

Tuna Salad:

• 3 cups good quality canned tuna (packed in water), drained
    • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
    • 4 cornichons, chopped
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
    • 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
    • 2 tablespoons capers, drained
    • 1 lemon, juiced
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/4 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
    • 2 everything bagels, sliced and toasted
    • 1/4 cup cream cheese
    • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced crescents
    • 1 vine-ripened tomato, sliced
    • 1 seedless cucumber, sliced
    • 4 Bibb lettuce leaves

Directions

Begin with the tuna salad. Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Take cut bagels and toast under a hot broiler until golden brown. While still hot smear the bottom with the cream cheese immediately. Top with a scoop of the tuna salad and then layer with red onion, tomato, cucumber and lettuce. Add the top half of the bagel and serve.

=))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178

You’ll become one of the best on the forum at providing vegetable recipes and techniques.  Here’s one of my favorites.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

With a perforated wok sauté bok choy, baby bell mushrooms and pre-par boiled fingerling potatoes with sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic infused olive oil.  I used pecan chips for smoke.

Good luck

GLW

When in doubt add more pepper.
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Mickey, you are in my prayers
  • Mickey, do what you think best, but research it before you commit to anything drastic..Dont change medicine until you know about it for yourself...Just lost a good friend to a mistake from his Dr....

every thing in moderation, good luck and keep us posted....you're in our prayers

See you in Salado

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder