Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless chicken breast for the first time

Grillin_G_Ma
Grillin_G_Ma Posts: 102
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Which is best? Direct or indirect? Marinated or rubbed? Flattened or not?350 or 400? How long for each side?We have a platesetter but that is only for indirect. Do you need another accessory for raised, direct? I have read so many different methods that I am confused. I want a way to prepare a quick, healthy, delicious dinner on a weeknight. Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• toothpick
    toothpick Posts: 154
    If you're looking for quickest, then go direct (no platesetter) at 350 until you get an internal temp of 165. If you have 30 minutes ahead of time I like to brine chicken breasts in 4 cups of water with 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup salt. Or sometimes I marinate in Wishbone Italian Dressing with a little Siracha Chili Paste. You can sprinkle them with a little rub if you like, or do them as is. Good old chicken breasts can be done with dozens of variations. Have fun with it and let us know how it comes out, G Ma!

Oh and when I was new at this I started cooking before the coals were fully going. That can give you a gross taste. You want the smoke to be a "thin" density--almost bluish. If it's a heavy thick smoke, your coals aren't ready yet.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Good advice, @toothpick, I wait for "clear smoke". If really your first, grill em, get the egg stabilized 350 to 400 range, have em rubbed or whatever, suggest low sugar rub else they will char, drop em on and close the dome. In 5 or so minutes, check and if you can flip. Wait another five or so and flip again. Check temp and if needed flip again. Do not overcook. Welcome to Nirvana....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Good advice on the not overcooking.  Most people do this whether it is on the egg or in the oven. IT of 160-165 is perfect.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you cook really hot direct, pull at 155 F.  Slower, indirect, 160-165.  Brining really pays off for the thinner parts of the breast that get overcooked.
    I'm a big fan of flattening them out first. Meat with a uniform thickness will cook uniformly (ie you won't have one end that is dry as a desert while waiting for the thick end to cook). cook direct any temp between 350 -400 will work, will just make a difference in how long it takes.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
     have em rubbed or whatever, suggest low sugar rub else they will char.  Welcome to Nirvana....
    Remember for rubs to allow time for the rub to hydrate and penetrate after applying.  Usually a minimum of 15 minutes.  30+ is better. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Griffin said:
    I'm a big fan of flattening them out first. Meat with a uniform thickness will cook uniformly (ie you won't have one end that is dry as a desert while waiting for the thick end to cook). cook direct any temp between 350 -400 will work, will just make a difference in how long it takes.

+1 doing them this way. I find you get more surface touching the grill as sometimes an unflattened  breast will have no colour on the sides, theres very low risk of overcooking and best of all......it takes hardly no time to cook so your family doesn't have to wait very long to eat.   

• Can I cook these direct or does it have to be raised direct?   The only accessory that we have is the platesetter.

Thanks for all of the great advice!

• Griffin said:
    I'm also a fan of flattening them and then I throw on some rub. Direct around 400.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Marinate in teriyaki!

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I have been cooking chicken breasts for the family and have  had the same problem with the thick and thin ends.  I have found a neat way to fix them.  I buy the packages at Cosco with two large breasts in each pack and cook them two or three at at time. 

The way I do prepare them is to cut each breast into two pieces about 40% of it being the thick end.  Take the 60% piece which includes the thin end and some of the thicker portion and wrap it with bacon to form a "filet"... use several tooth picks to hold the shape while you cooking it... 

then wrap the 40% cut with bacon too... they should be approximatley the same size....makes them easy to cook to temp and everyone loves them.  add rub or spice as you like...

I cook them direct at about 350 to 375...

I thnk you can wrap bacon around anything and make it better..

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder