Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Time For Multiple Boston Butts

GmaEgger
GmaEgger Posts: 13
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to put 3 - 8 lb. even, Boston butts. I have cooked twice before, 2 - butts., 7.5 - 8 lbs. and they took 13 and 12 hours respectively, at 225 pit, 195 internal. Wondering how long it will take to cook these 3 on my xl green egg?

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Shouldn't take any extra time really.  The only difference is you are putting a little more cold in the egg and it might drop the temp a little longer, but once the egg stabilizes they will all absorb heat at the same rate.  Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Cooking three at once should not take any longer than cooking one, as long as they are not packed tight together.  They may finish at different times, as every hunk of meat cooks differently.
  • Since they are for a large group, I just want to make sure they are ready in time. The previous 2 cooks I did had 2 butts, each 7.5 - 8.00 lbs. do you think that the cooking time could change more than an extra hour due to these 3 being exactly 8 lbs.? Would 1/2 lb. make that much of a difference?
  • Tjcoley
    There's a pretty big window for when they can be done.  Plan on finishing a couple hours early and FTC them (wrap in heavy duty foil, wrap in towels and place in a warm cooler)  They will keep hot for 4 plus hours and be ready for pulling when they come out.  That way, you are sure to be done in time and won't have people waiting to eat.  
  • That's my problem. In order to finish 4 hours early, how long old you allow the cook? 2- butts,(1-7.5 lbs. and 1-8.lbs.,) took 13 hours before. The fact that these 3 will all be 8 lbs. even...how much longer could I expect it to take than the 13 hour previous cook?
  • Tjcoley
    If I want to be sure they are done on time, I'd figure 2 hours per pound.  That's about 16 hours, and well within the FTC window if they finish in 13.  225 is pretty low temp.  You can always bump it up at the end if need be.  I now cook butts at 270 dome.  The best thing I learned when I started using the Egg is that you cook to temp, not time.  Time is just an estimate, and there can be a 4 hour difference between 2 same sized butts cooked at the same temp.  Make sure you treat them as 3 separate cooks when checking for doneness.  One may finish ahead of the others, but not always.  
  • Listen to TJ. He knows of what he speaks. You are in good hands.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • All the advice is greatly appreciated!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    250 grid temp is still very much "low and slow".  You will get the same great results and speed up your time a little.
  • Tjcoley
    Listen to TJ. He knows of what he speaks. You are in good hands.
    Thanks Cen-Tex.  I learned it all here.  @GmaEgger - best advise is to read the forum on a regular basis.  There is an amazing wealth of knowledge and a lot of helpful people here.  Just keep in mind there are a lot of different ways to skin a cat (or cook a butt).  Experiment and find what works for you.  
  • Thanks to everyone! Just got my notes out from last butt cook and realized I cooked at 250 temp, not 225 as I had stated. After advice from TJ, I will likely try 270 today.
  • Well, I erred on the side of caution and lost.  My previous 2 cooks took 12 and 13 hours respectively so I thought this time since the butts were 1/2 lb. larger, it would take longer.  I put them on way too early, allowing for 16 hours, (all 3, 8 lbs. even).  All 3 were done to perfection in 12 hours.  Because we won't eat for 5 1/2 hours, I am not comfortable keeping them in the cooler that long.  (Sorry, feeding too many people and don't want to risk).  So, I am putting the double wrapped butts in a 170 oven for 2-3 hours, (as advised on this forum) and then transfer to a cooler.  Hope it doesn't dry them out.  Thanks again for all the advice.  They look absolutely wonderful.
  • You'll be fine in the cooler. I did 2 last week. They were done at 9 am. I FTC'd them. Pulled one butt at 12. Pulled the other at 2. At 2, it was still piping hot.
    Mark Annville, PA