Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Parchment Paper for Pizza?

13»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think I'll try the screen.  Based on what I read, I'm thinking right over the plate setter - no stone, to get some extra heat on the crust.  They're really cheap, and if I like the results, why not.

I found this on cooks illustrated  http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=26996
    edited September 2012
    Just ordered the SuperPeel. Solves the parchment, corn starch, screen, nothing debate. http://www.superpeel.com/
  • now i've gotta admit, just spent the last 10 minutes poking around the super peel site, and that's pretty fancy! I can buy a lot of parchment paper for $55 plus shipping thou. Tough choices!
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    edited September 2012
    Price is fair to me and it isn't much money to me. Hell I spend that on an average day for food for my wife and me. Oh that price includes shipping. Another toy to use. I love buying toys for smoking/grilling.
  • I still think the best is platesetter, spacers, stone and high temps but I don't want to start anything. :)>-

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I put the pizza screen on the stone just like parchment paper
  • I have the super peel and have used the peel without the cloth since the first use. I didn't want to have to wash and re attach the cloth each time....I thought it was a great idea but now I use parchment...
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • nolaegghead
    I think you can do the same as the super peel with some parchment paper wrapped around a regular peel.   Leave enough wrapped around the front so you can grab it from underneath and conveyor-belt the pizza off.  Some guy told me this trick, but I haven't tried it yet.  You only need it to build and dump the pizza on the stone. Then throw away or re-use the parchment paper.
  • I think you can do the same as the super peel with some parchment paper wrapped around a regular peel.   Leave enough wrapped around the front so you can grab it from underneath and conveyor-belt the pizza off.  Some guy told me this trick, but I haven't tried it yet.  You only need it to build and dump the pizza on the stone. Then throw away or re-use the parchment paper.

Sounds simple. I'm sure everyone would be grateful if you did it and video taped it. Sounds like you can do it easy enough. Thanks in advance.
  • nolaegghead
    EggerinLA said:
    I think you can do the same as the super peel with some parchment paper wrapped around a regular peel.   Leave enough wrapped around the front so you can grab it from underneath and conveyor-belt the pizza off.  Some guy told me this trick, but I haven't tried it yet.  You only need it to build and dump the pizza on the stone. Then throw away or re-use the parchment paper.

Sounds simple. I'm sure everyone would be grateful if you did it and video taped it. Sounds like you can do it easy enough. Thanks in advance.
    I'll give it a shot next time if you don't laugh at my video taping skills :)

I can vouch for the Superpeel. I love it! So easy and simple to use. I put pizza on with the superpeel, and off with a home made aluminium peel. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i can see the benefit of parchment but if your going to experiment with pies at different temps i think it will burn up and there are pies that need more heat regardless what some will say. your average 500 degree pizza cook would be fine though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    I've used parchment in a really hot egg - around 750.  It will burn if you don't pull it out in less than two or three minutes.  The crust is usually together enough at that point where it slides out fine.  Yeah, it's kind of a pain in the ass extra step.
  • I'm ordering a Super Peel and then I'm going to dust it with corn meal, semolina and flour, lay a piece of parchment on top and then place the pizza (on a screen) on the whole mess.  I'll report back on how it all worked out! :)
  • I'm ordering a Super Peel and then I'm going to dust it with corn meal, semolina and flour, lay a piece of parchment on top and then place the pizza (on a screen) on the whole mess.  I'll report back on how it all worked out! :)
    That's the way - if one tool works, heck five or six should be perfect! In fact you have so much anti stick help and pizza tools involved, I bet you could just dump some water, flour, yeast, cheese, raw or frozen meat and veggies in on top of all that stuff, close the lid and let it assemble itself. Let us know how it comes out....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • i can see the benefit of parchment but if your going to experiment with pies at different temps i think it will burn up and there are pies that need more heat regardless what some will say. your average 500 degree pizza cook would be fine though
    I use parchment but trim around the pie before I put it on. I do them from 700-900* and haven't had a problem since. I often do like Nola does and pull them out after a bit but the parchment won't burn unless there is some hanging out

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I finally got to tying the caputo 00 mixed by weight and used/tried parchment paper.

Results were outstanding, both to transfer the pizza and taste. Had no problem pulling the paper from under in a minute or two. Very easy.

Got the paper at costco's next to the Alum foil.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    00 is great made a big difference in making the pizza for me. I am a super peel guy and get one going on a pastry board, another on the super peel and one on the egg at all times. It also speeds up the process when letting everyone make their own pizza, especially the little ones! We also use a metal peel to take off the egg. No worry about making it fast or messing with cornmeal/ semolina. Did that the first pizza party and had flour all over the counter, floor, and stone. We usually do between 6- 13 pizzas when we do it so our method might not apply to those making one or two pies in a night. I also just rinse off the pastry cloth and let it air dry. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I was frustrated with pizza, it was sticking to everything including the peel and the hot stone. I did try the parchament paper and it did work. But then one time I left the dough uncovered and out just a bit too long. It dried the dough surface out. But the pizza did not stick to anything, and the finished crust was perfection itself. So I think the right consistency of crust makes it work just right, and also gives the perfect crust. No parchament paper needed if the dough is right.
    LBGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668

i can see the benefit of parchment but if your going to experiment with pies at different temps i think it will burn up and there are pies that need more heat regardless what some will say. your average 500 degree pizza cook would be fine though
    I use parchment but trim around the pie before I put it on. I do them from 700-900* and haven't had a problem since. I often do like Nola does and pull them out after a bit but the parchment won't burn unless there is some hanging out
    if i was cooking a bunch of pies i would probably do it but im pretty good with the peel now, just a plain unfinishe wood peel. i dont know if its because i got better with practice of if because theres lots of cut marks on it now that the pie slides of easily. i lightly dust it with flour, turn it upside down and bang off any extra, then make the pie
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • doc, what you did was create a "skin" on one side of the dough. And that's a great non-stick method!
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    They actually sell parchment rounds too. We bought, just haven't used them yet, but parchment is definitely the way to go IMO.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Never used it once. I tried no cornmeal last night after reading someone say its bitter. Came out just fine with peel dusted with flour. Perhaps many are using too sticky of a dough, it takes practice with scratch made dough and not overloading it with sauce and toppings.
    Seattle, WA
  • Xraypat23, did you mean me? Yeah, it had a skin on it. A bit dried out on the surface, pushed it out and tossed it out to the right diameter, it was just right. There is a YouTube on the national champ in Canada, a  gal. It was right on for tossing dough. Keep the temp right. Maybe 550 to 600. It worked for me.
    LBGE