Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Open letter to McNuttly

travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Sir or ma'am

You sound intelligent. You sound like you have a firm grasp on several cooking techniques. I believe you have much to contribute to this forum. When called on the carpet, at least once, you appologized for getting out of line. I hope you truly are here to help and be apart of this forum.

That being said, I'd like to offer some advise.

New guys are welcomed and appreciated but new guys with an attitude or who come across as condescending are shunned like rouge Amish. Some folks are able to bust some balls and no one cares but only because they have proven themselves willing and able to help others. Your approach isn't recieved well because you jumped right in with what some perceive as rude critique. When Mickey, cen tex, HH, or others do the same, we all understand that they are generally, on the whole, trying to help.

I suggest that you establish yourself and a helpfull member of our forum who responds with tact, altruistic, and friendly posts before you condem with such fervor, what others, in their humble opinion believe is good advise.

Controversy isn't well recieved. I hope you can add to our heard without disrupting and causing a stampede. The more the better. Please, join us and enjoy what we have as we enjoy what you have to offer.
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Travis, you are wise about many topics but especially about life---
  • I want to apologize to the entire forum for my contribution to this hub-bub.  I did not wish to in any way create or promote controversy that would make this forum perceived as mean-spirited or distasteful for anybody.  This is a place where people gather to discuss issues related to our Eggs and good BBQ.  People should be able to feel free to seek help for Egg problems.  I realize it is not my place to take potshots at people who I believe violated the decorum of this forum because in doing so I violated the decorum myself.

I wish I could blame booze, but alas I was sober.  I am truly sorry.

Fred

Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2012
    Good stuff Travis. I hope he receives your letter well.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    well stated travis.  I've been not paying attention to the forum for a while and I jump on late and it seems there's a lot of something going on.  Anger or venting or whatever.  Lets all be civilized - it's easy to sublimate angst by lashing out verbally, maybe there are less shrinks out there to take up the slack.  I dunno.

Cook on, eat good food, make friends.
    edited September 2012
    I disagree that just because someone has been here a long time, it gives them a right to be a prick. Some of the ones who have been here a long time have attitudes. Well I don't blame anyone for shoving it into their faces. Goes both ways and expect others to defend themselves. That goes for everyone, new or old. Of course the old will be defended even when wrong and that sends a bad message. Seen that happen a few times I have been here.
  • I guess it is all point of view.  Alot of the older guys answer the same questions endless times.  I give them credit ( i know it is hard to not cop an attitude when you have answered the same question someone different has asked hundreds of times)  Also, sometimes when you type it and post it without reviewing what you typed it can come off wrong as well.  And......sometimes i suspect alcohol is involved! 

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2012

Misinformation is one of my biggest gripes, especially in the medical field. 

If your method is superior, back it up.  With factual rationale, experiences, knowledge.  Not just a copied/pasted link of the newest trend, or "I saw it on another website".  Seems to be a lot of newbies offering advice that need to earn some stripes.  There are only several topics that I feel comfortable helping on.  Others, like "What size egg do I need", I don't even touch.

If a person offers information that I feel is inaccurate or just flat out wrong, I will always challenge it.

If someone asks about advantages/disadvantages, then I will give it.  Good and bad.

May come off as arrogant on the internet.  Far from my intentions.  I'd offer the same suggestions/comments if asked face-to-face.  Abrasive, maybe.  But it is who I am, ONE FACE.  No shrink is needed to tell me that. lol

I don't see this ever happening, but if I'm wrong, I'd have more respect for the person who corrected me than the koom-bah-yah singers who knew I was wrong, but did nothing. hahahahahahaha

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• @EggerinLA Please re read your first sentence. I never said anything about being here a long time. I suggested that those people who had proven themselves willing and able to help were given a little slack. We should all defend ourselves but the forum doesn't have a fit if Village Idiot gets a little curt with someone.
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99

Having a different method of doing something, does not make it wrong.  I guess I thought that was what a forum is for, sharing info and techniques.   Trying to do it in a civilized manner is sometimes the tougher part.

My start here on the forum was rocky to say the least.  And I know about getting defensive when everyone jumps on. Even had one of the regulars tell me "WE" don't need you on here. Well I did not go away that easily.

I think everyone is so paranoid about "stike" it is crazy. Either move on or rename the forum for him.

• I must have missed a thread...
    Boom
  • People just need to let things go.  As for those that have been posting forever, i can see them getting frustrated because the questions are very repetitive.  Every week the same questions.  I have asked questions and they have been helpful but I know they have answered the same questions thousands of times.  So thank you, it is a appreciated and I am learning from everyone.

Cheers
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    A2Z said:

I think everyone is so paranoid about "stike" it is crazy. Either move on or rename the forum for him.

What I think is funny is that the peeps who are annoyed with hearing about Stike are usually the ones who bring him up.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Focker
    edited September 2012

stike is heavily jocked here and for good reason.

He's helped more people with eggs than any of us ever will.

Rosie O'Donnell was on TV the other day.  Cracked up and thought of stikey and a big, old, dry aged ribeye primal. lmao

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2012
    Focker said:

stike is heavily jocked here and for good reason.

He's helped more people with eggs than any of us ever will.

Rosie O'Donnell was on TV the other day.  Cracked up and thought of stikey and a big, old, dry aged ribeye primal. lmao

Good Lord. Time for another stike statue. Sould we commision another white steed or should we mix it up a little and go with the red, or maybe do the whole thing in bronze?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    edited September 2012
    Mini horse.....bronzed. ^:)^
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Just looking for pointers on cooking steaks...  WTF?
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    Sir or ma'am You sound intelligent. You sound like you have a firm grasp on several cooking techniques. I believe you have much to contribute to this forum. When called on the carpet, at least once, you appologized for getting out of line. I hope you truly are here to help and be apart of this forum. That being said, I'd like to offer some advise. New guys are welcomed and appreciated but new guys with an attitude or who come across as condescending are shunned like rouge Amish. Some folks are able to bust some balls and no one cares but only because they have proven themselves willing and able to help others. Your approach isn't recieved well because you jumped right in with what some perceive as rude critique. When Mickey, cen tex, HH, or others do the same, we all understand that they are generally, on the whole, trying to help. I suggest that you establish yourself and a helpfull member of our forum who responds with tact, altruistic, and friendly posts before you condem with such fervor, what others, in their humble opinion believe is good advise. Controversy isn't well recieved. I hope you can add to our heard without disrupting and causing a stampede. The more the better. Please, join us and enjoy what we have as we enjoy what you have to offer.

would be one thing if he was a newbie, but seemed very apparent the way he jumped in, seems more like someone with a grudge and a second or third or more handles.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bet you are right ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• would be one thing if he was a newbie, but seemed very apparent the way he jumped in, seems more like someone with a grudge and a second or third or more handles.
    +infinity.  dollars-to-doughnuts this is someone who doesn't have the b*lls to say what they want w/ their more "well-known" handle.  I second the motion about whomever suggested the ability to log IPs, as it would help clear up stuff like this.  

And it doesn't matter to me how many posts someone has, or how long they've been around.  If they can talk the talk, then I'll heed their advice.  Some folks have a lot of posts because they get into little side-conversations (heh, much like this one) that have nothing to do w/ how to get the best out of their Egg.  So post count isn't really indicative of knowledge, in my opinion.  

Also, as far as answering questions - I learned a LONG time ago in the REAL world that you're never gonna please everyone all the time.  Some folks want more detail, some want less.  Some want short & sweet, some want dissertations.  So, because of that, I don't even try to please folks.  I try to answer the questions to the best of my ability, and  I answer questions the way I'd want someone to answer them to me.  As an engineer, I want as many facts as possible, and I don't need a whole bunch of "pleases" and "thank yous" and other "fru-fru" stuff.  So, if someone gets their panties in a wad because I'm curt, then that's THEIR problem, not mine.  This isn't day care, and I'm not here to massage anyone's ego.  I'm here to become a better BBQ chef.  

I also agree w/ Focker about being able to back up one's statement.  Anyone can say that "Widget A" is better than "Widget B" just "because" - but if they don't offer WHY, or provide any sort of reasoning - then all that is, is just meaningless words.  

After all, this forum is about providing others w/ information & advice.  If the advice is to "google" the answer, then why have a forum at all?  The default answer would be to just google everything???  8-}
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Focker
    edited September 2012
    Also, as far as answering questions - I learned a LONG time ago in the REAL world that you're never gonna please everyone all the time.  Some folks want more detail, some want less.  Some want short & sweet, some want dissertations.  So, because of that, I don't even try to please folks.  I try to answer the questions to the best of my ability, and  I answer questions the way I'd want someone to answer them to me.  As an engineer, I want as many facts as possible, and I don't need a whole bunch of "pleases" and "thank yous" and other "fru-fru" stuff.  So, if someone gets their panties in a wad because I'm curt, then that's THEIR problem, not mine.  This isn't day care, and I'm not here to massage anyone's ego.  I'm here to become a better BBQ chef.  
    Nicely put HH.  Couldn't agree more. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• After over 31 years as a deputy sheriff I'm immune to rude, inebriated and/or shoot (verbally) from the hip.  If someone has usefull knowledge I'll take it regardless of demeanor.  If they're being foolish at that particular time I'll "click" out of the conversation (wish I could have done that when I was working).  If they are consistantly destructive I'll snitch them off to the forum owners.  The BGE forum is a bit light on oversight but it provides knowledge I could never otherwise gain.  Unfortunately I know members who have left because of such nonsense.  That's very bad.  Hopefully BGE will, at some point, institute the level of moderation most other forums have with warnings, suspension and (for the consistantly worst) bans.  Not my call.  The folks at BGE enhance their livelyhoods through this forum.  Up to them.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • A lot of you guys sure do sound tough. I hope I never have to meet you in person. Id be so afraid because of your super tough zero tolerance attitudes.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    reading this thread although some very good points have been stated i have to wonder why threads like this and a few others like mac vs pc get way more views and comments and attention than the great cooks that are posted here. 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Focker
    edited September 2012

Just went back and discovered the parchment paper thread.  WOW????

I've used screens, parchment, and cornmeal/flour.  McNuttly's reply, IMO, was a good recommendation.  I now, prefer the cornmeal+flour method on a wood peel.  If your dough is perfect, he is right, none of them are needed.  Maybe an open letter is in order for all who lynched him/her?

Or better yet, a letter of apology.

I egg the pizzas around 500 and have had no issues with burnt cornmeal.  Nothing wrong with parchment paper, it worked too.

Screens/parchment are nice when doing multiple Zas  

You can only stretch one doughball at a time with one wooden peel using cornmeal and flour.  One must work quickly though, or the dough may stick.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• It was Little Steven. Guy is always getting up in people's bidness. :)

Kidding but i thought it was way over reaching as well. Dude was mixing it up but I didn't find it out of the ordinary or that combative.

What the hell do I know though.

"Can't we all just get along"(Abraham Lincoln)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • This is like the housewive's reality shows my wife watches.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Focker said:

Just went back and discovered the parchment paper thread.  WOW????

I've used screens, parchment, and cornmeal/flour.  McNuttly's reply, IMO, was a good recommendation.  I now, prefer the cornmeal+flour method on a wood peel.  If your dough is perfect, he is right, none of them are needed.  Maybe an open letter is in order for all who lynched him/her?

Or better yet, a letter of apology.

I egg the pizzas around 500 and have had no issues with burnt cornmeal.  Nothing wrong with parchment paper, it worked too.

Screens/parchment are nice when doing multiple Zas  

You can only stretch one doughball at a time with one wooden peel using cornmeal and flour.  One must work quickly though, or the dough may stick.  

Focker, for all the nonsense that one was truly helpful.  Glad I didn't click out.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Focker
    edited September 2012

Thanks

Starting to use humor to soften my abrasiveness. I did it the other day for our "egg" lesson.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• There is more to it than the parchment thread....this pizza thread started it here.. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143826/if-youve-never-made-pizza-and-intend-to-soon/p1 And there are funny older threads linked there from the other forum too.
  • There is more to it than the parchment thread....this pizza thread started it here.. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143826/if-youve-never-made-pizza-and-intend-to-soon/p1 And there are funny older threads linked there from the other forum too.
    Bwaaaahaaaa. I didn't' see any of that. I just saw the parchment thread. maybe it's Salty coming back for another bite off the apple. Could be Stike too but he's always argued with others, not himself.

Either way- funny

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX