Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Parchment Paper for Pizza?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Where can I buy it?  Thanks!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Any grocery store, in either the baking section or the foil/plastic wrap section.
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Did it last time I made pizza, makes life way easier. Some seem to think it's cheating, but I'm sold.
    George
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    gte1 said:
    Did it last time I made pizza, makes life way easier. Some seem to think it's cheating, but I'm sold.
    Cheating?  That's the same kind of foolish notion that using foil is "cheating".  Foil & parchment paper are just tools to accomplish a job.  That's like saying driving a car is cheating because you didn't reach you destination by riding a horse.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Not cheating...Use it all the time.  Cut it close to the pizza so it won't burn.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Always use parchment for the first 2 minutes of my pizza cooks, then pull it out. Makes life so much easier. Just make sure to trim to just over the size of the pizza or the overhang can burn.
    Options
    QDude said:
    I buy it at Walmart.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I use parchment paper in the kitchen like I use craft paper in the shop - all the time.  And like everyone says, you can buy it anywhere.  Try en papillote - great way to cook fish. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_papillote
    And, after you use it, soak it in water before you put it in the trash can. Just in case it burned a little, you don't want to set your house on fire. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Always use parchment for the first 2 minutes of my pizza cooks, then pull it out. Makes life so much easier. Just make sure to trim to just over the size of the pizza or the overhang can burn.

+1
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gerhardk
    Options
    Rocket15 said:
    And, after you use it, soak it in water before you put it in the trash can. Just in case it burned a little, you don't want to set your house on fire. 
    Been using parchment for the better part of 20 years, can't ever recall that being an issue.  Maybe I am living on borrowed time.  One thing to remember is that you can reuse parchment paper several times.  After a number of uses it becomes brittle and breaks apart.

Gerhard

P.S. There have been people that thought parchment paper and waxed paper were interchangeable, even though they pretty much look the same their properties when heated are completely different.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I use it for pizza. And I re-use it. I've been able to get multiple pizza cooks from a single sheet.
  • McNuttly
    Options
    QDude said:

QDude, consider saving the money & the trip to the store & learning how to make pizza without it.  A pizza peel is all you need, really.  You may choose to dust with corse ground cornmeal or semolina, but parchment is not necessary.  Is it convenient, does it make things easier, seems the consensus opinion on this thread is yes.  But ask yourself this, when is the last time you went into a pizzaria and saw it being used for this purpose?
  • gerhardk
    Options
    McNuttly said:
    QDude said:

QDude, consider saving the money & the trip to the store & learning how to make pizza without it.  A pizza peel is all you need, really.  You may choose to dust with corse ground cornmeal or semolina, but parchment is not necessary.  Is it convenient, does it make things easier, seems the consensus opinion on this thread is yes.  But ask yourself this, when is the last time you went into a pizzaria and saw it being used for this purpose?
    There are lots of things that pizzerias don't do, like use better ingredients, real  cheese, they tend to slice mushrooms and veggies paper thin, lots have sauces that are over slated so just because the pizza joint down the street does or does not do something is no reason to do the same.  When cornmeal and semolina burn they leave a bitter flavour and since the egg does not have the room a pizza oven does you can't move the pie off that bed of corn meal after the first few minutes which is what most pizza shops do.

Gerhard
  • McNuttly
    Options
    Gerhard, you're confusing mechanical procedure with other procedures and choice of ingredients.  Sure, many pizza places use crappy ingredients & may have rats running around in the kitchen.  I'm not advocating following all procudures employed in bad businesses.  My point is very narrow and simple, all that is necessary to deliver a pizza to a stone is a peel.  It is not necessary to spend time cutting parchment, using it, then at some interval lifting the dome and removing it so the dough can make direct contact with the stone.  These are simply unnecessary steps.  Parchment is a great tool and has many applications.  A screw driver is also a great tool with many applications, but if I need to hammer a nail into a board I'm going to leave the screwdriver in the tool box
  • gerhardk
    Options
    And burned cornmeal leaves a bitter taste.

Gerhard
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Pizzeria's tend to use screens.

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I have success with cornmeal not burning. I don't let my crust darken too much and I just remove any cornmeal leftover on stone from the previous pie. I find corn meal to be less work than parchment paper. Plus I can't seem to find any paper that is rated for higher than 425*f and I always bake much much hotter than that.

I don't think pp users are wrong, but corn meal works for me.
  • McNuttly
    Options
    Brownie, I've also used cornmeal without burning it or experiencing a bitter taste so it also works for me, as does using nothing at all.  If the dough is properly worked nothing is necessary but the peel.  Metal peels are another option and can release easier than wooden ones if it's an issue for someone.  I also agree and think I said as much that parchment isn't wrong, simply unnecessary.  There is a learning curve with a peel that can be frustrating  
  • EggerinLA
    Options
    No need for a lot of things (including cornmeal if you know how to do it-cornmeal is a crutch also), but whatever works best for the person is the correct way of doing it.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I have a couple of screens and use them all the time.  I will either use parchment paper or HDAF between the screen and the dough.  This keeps screen clean up to a minimum.  The screens are very handy for other egg cooks too.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Like McNuttly, I have been able to build a pizza without parchment for years, I seldom used semolina but always used cornmeal. However, once I discovered parchment, just haven't bothered with any flour or meal dusting, because it is easier and always gives the same if not better result. Lets face it, you could take the purest view that real BBQ folks don't use stokers or wireless digital thermometers with low and high temp alarms to wake them from their sleep. They stay awake, they watch the fire.  
    We all have tools we use to make life easier and our results delicious. Parchment is not analogous to using a screwdriver to do a hammer's job, it is analogous to using a skill saw to do the work of a hand saw. 
    Me, I use parchment, a digital thermometer, tongs instead of two sticks, and God forbid, I buy rather than make my own lump charcoal.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Like McNuttly, I have been able to build a pizza without parchment for years, I seldom used semolina but always used cornmeal. However, once I discovered parchment, just haven't bothered with any flour or meal dusting, because it is easier and always gives the same if not better result. Lets face it, you could take the purest view that real BBQ folks don't use stokers or wireless digital thermometers with low and high temp alarms to wake them from their sleep. They stay awake, they watch the fire.  
    We all have tools we use to make life easier and our results delicious. Parchment is not analogous to using a screwdriver to do a hammer's job, it is analogous to using a skill saw to do the work of a hand saw. 
    Me, I use parchment, a digital thermometer, tongs instead of two sticks, and God forbid, I buy rather than make my own lump charcoal.   
    +1 Well said Skids!
    Flint, Michigan
  • gerhardk
    Options
    McNuttly said:
    Brownie, I've also used cornmeal without burning it or experiencing a bitter taste so it also works for me, 
    I have been out for meals were I found the meal to be over salted, under cooked, over cooked etc. and others thought it was just right so these things come down to personal perception of flavour, smell and visual presentation of your meal.  Actually the worst one I remember was were they used rancid oil in a salad, I commented on it to the server and the woman at the next table broke in I knew there was something weird about my salad but she had just finished it.  My point just because you don't taste bitterness of burned cornmeal does not mean it ain't there.  

I fully agree with the previous poster that states you should use whatever level of processing aids you feel you need.  I know people that are in the raw food movement, can't say it turns my crank but if it works for them....

Gerhard
  • McNuttly
    Options

Gerhard, you seem fixated on the proposition that because cornmeal tastes bitter to you, the only alternative is parchment.  If you read what I stated above, repeatedly, all that is 'necessary' is the peel and the stone.  I said one might 'choose' to use cornmeal or semolina, that is personal preference.  I know it works as I've done it many times, as I have done it with nothing at all.  I believe we all agree that at the end of the day whatever works best for each individual is the best method for that individual.  My suggestion to the original poster was to 'consider' learning to use the peel alone.  He may or may not in the end employ that method going forward, that's his choice.  He may end up a parchment guy, a semolina guy, a screen guy or a peel alone guy, time will tell.  Hell, he may scrap them all & put frozen pizzas on the stone for that matter...

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Some folks need to get their underwear out of the crack. =))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2012
    Options
    McNuttly said:

Gerhard, you seem fixated on the proposition that because cornmeal tastes bitter to you, the only alternative is parchment.  If you read what I stated above, repeatedly, all that is 'necessary' is the peel and the stone.  I said one might 'choose' to use cornmeal or semolina, that is personal preference.  I know it works as I've done it many times, as I have done it with nothing at all.  I believe we all agree that at the end of the day whatever works best for each individual is the best method for that individual.  My suggestion to the original poster was to 'consider' learning to use the peel alone.  He may or may not in the end employ that method going forward, that's his choice.  He may end up a parchment guy, a semolina guy, a screen guy or a peel alone guy, time will tell.  Hell, he may scrap them all & put frozen pizzas on the stone for that matter...

Good Lord you an arrogant piece of work. I mean, you come on here and jump on me for reccommending a tried and true method for one or multiple pizzas and now you are all over others because they choose to use 5 cents worth of parchment on pizza transfer. I can zip off the top of my head the five mother sauces and most of their derivatives with ingredients and methods. You seem to understand pizza despite your obvious Celtic/Gaelic heritage but do you know anything else about haute cuisine? Or barbeque for that matter?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• McNuttly
    Options
    McNuttly said:

Good Lord you an arrogant piece of work. I mean, you come on here and jump on me for reccommending a tried and true method for one or multiple pizzas and now you are all over others because they choose to use 5 cents worth of parchment on pizza transfer. I can zip off the top of my head the five mother sauces and most of their derivatives with ingredients and methods. You seem to understand pizza despite your obvious Celtic/Gaelic heritage but do you know anything else about haute cuisine? Or barbeque for that matter?
    wow if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.  Perhaps you struggle with reading comprehension like some others.  Not once did I say parchment was wrong, merely unnecessary, much like your penchant for adding other unnecessary items to the process such as your referenced plate setter and spacers.  I'm struggling with the need/desire to complicate such a simple process.  So while you're zipping mother sauces and their derivatives off your head contemplate this, what does any of that have to do with my recommendation to experiment with another method? 
  • Little Steven
    Options

I have had it with your nonsensical posts. You are nothing but lip. I am so outa here. This used to be such a friendly place too. I remember when it was much friendlier

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    Options
    @McNutty You must live in a lonely world, the only competent individual in a world filled with simpletons. Gerhard
  • McNuttly
    Options

gerhardk said:
    @McNutty You must live in a lonely world, the only competent individual in a world filled with simpletons. Gerhard
    and admitting you're a simpleton is the first step on your road to recovery, bravo man