Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long for pulled pork

Janice
Janice Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in Pork
I have a small pork shoulder roast..3.6 lbs. How long should I cook it with indirect heat? Thanks Janice

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    You can figure on 2hr/lb at 250 (calibrated dome) Or 45 min/lb at 350-375 dome.
  • Brownie
    Have you cooked any before? because we could enlighten you on temperatures and doneness for pulling if needed.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Haven't done one that small, but on bigger ones I use about an hour a pound  with the egg around 275* to no higher than 300*.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Don't get cross-ways with Brownie...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie

lousubcap said:
    Finally, some valuable knowledge.  :))
  • lousubcap
    As it should be. :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks for the info. I haven't done a pork roast before, so ths is an experiment.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited September 2012
    lousubcap said:
    Huh?

Running at 1.25 hours per pound today but was a bit under 275* for part of the time today.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Hi..so I cooked the 3.6lb pork shoulder for3 hours at 300.it. Was flavourful but had to carve It..wasn't pulled pork?.?. Any ideas on this.
  • Janice said:
    Hi..so I cooked the 3.6lb pork shoulder for3 hours at 300.it. Was flavourful but had to carve It..wasn't pulled pork?.?. Any ideas on this.
    Cook it longer. Invest in a decent cooking thermo. I suggest the Thermapen by Thermoworks. 

If you had cooked your butt until the internal meat temp was 205, you would have perfect pulled, juicy pork. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Janice said:

Hi..so I cooked the 3.6lb pork shoulder for3 hours at 300.it. Was flavourful but had to carve
    It..wasn't pulled pork?.?. Any ideas on this.

Under done. probably an hour short but we cook to temp around here, not time. You are going to need a good thermo as Travis says if you want to get dependable results every time. Every cool is a little different so you have to know what's going on inside if you want to nail it every time.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    As above-but you must have gotten cross-ways with Brownie:)  Needed to cook longer-internal temp is the driver (with any cook), time is only a guesstimate-and historically we estimate early on that parameter.
  • I have a quick question... I just bought a combo pack and the total is 19.5 pounds for two butt's... is it still 2hrs per pound? at 250 or is it going to take longer? This is for a tailgate that starts at 11am on saturday and I wanted to have it done by 7am so I could have it pulled and ready... PLEASE HELP! 
    - GO FROGS - 
  • I just cooked a 3.8 lb yesterday at 235 degrees. It took 12 hrs and was fall apart juicy.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    evan8818 said:
    I have a quick question... I just bought a combo pack and the total is 19.5 pounds for two butt's... is it still 2hrs per pound? at 250 or is it going to take longer? This is for a tailgate that starts at 11am on saturday and I wanted to have it done by 7am so I could have it pulled and ready... PLEASE HELP! 
    Don't look at the total weight. Look at the individual weights. 
    At 250 it'll be about 2 hours per pound per butt. 
    So your probably looking at about 20 hours. But each piece of meat will be different. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • If you need it done sooner, turn up the heat. To me not the ideal way, but it works. If you can keep it whole, wrapped in foil and towel and stuff in a cooler. Pull it just before you're ready to eat it. Nice and juicy and still hot.
  • Thanks! I was just wondering cause I have two hunks of meat and didn't know if it effected the total cook time
    - GO FROGS - 
  • Janice said:
    Hi..so I cooked the 3.6lb pork shoulder for3 hours at 300.it. Was flavourful but had to carve It..wasn't pulled pork?.?. Any ideas on this.
    Stop cooking it by time and cook by temp.  Pulled pork is easily 195 -205 internal temp. I then FTC for a couple of hours and it is fall apart easy to pull.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!