Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any One Else ?

Options
bud812
bud812 Posts: 1,869
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has any one else noted on their small Egg that the chimney is too short to hold the DFMT or rain cap on securely? Mine fell off last night when I opened it to turn my steak & broke. They both fit very loose because the chimney is so short that they don"t have much to grab onto. My LBGE holds it in place nice & secure. Went to the Dealer today to inquire about it & check the one on the showroom floor & it's the same way. I don't open my Eggs hard & slam them open. The Dealer said he would replace it with the one he has on the floor model, but I don't think that it is his fault but a bad design problem.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    The Mini and Small's that I have seen in the past has a felt ring on the inside of the cap to hold it in place. maybe you could line the inside of it so that it would secure it. just a thought. :) good luck!
    Brandon, MS
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    The Mini and Small's that I have seen in the past has a felt ring on the inside of the cap to hold it in place. maybe you could line the inside of it so that it would secure it. just a thought. :) good luck!
    I haven't owned my small very long, but I noticed the same thing.  I was planning to use some extra gasket to line the cap when I change the gasket on the large.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options

I haven't had my Small long either. My dealer said what he would do is smear some RTV around the inside of the cap & DFMT for a little more traction. I just think it needs a little taller chimney is all I'm saying.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Interesting, noted that the XL and LBGE fit very well, the MBGE (like mine) is just loose enough to cause concern but it does stay on, the small and mini seems to be quite loose and I'm sure will fall off (as noted by bud812). Wonder why? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Interesting, noted that the XL and LBGE fit very well, the MBGE (like mine) is just loose enough to cause concern but it does stay on, the small and mini seems to be quite loose and I'm sure will fall off (as noted by bud812). Wonder why? 
    I think bud has it right.  The chimney is shorter than my large relatively speaking.
    Flint, Michigan
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

Either my DFMT is different or my Small is different as my DFMT can easily be to too tight and feels a bit out of round.  If I push my DFMT down on the Small it is difficult to remove.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA