Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Sauce?

Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
After quite a bit of trial and error, I believe I've found most of the rubs that I really like. What are some of your favorite barbecue sauce, both grocery store available and those that are harder to find? I've been using Sweet Baby Ray's, and it's pretty good. So is Sticky Fingers. I trying Bone Suckin' Sauce next weekend. What are your favorites?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Blues hog original and Tennessee red mixed together 50/50. Best sauce you can get but you have to get it shipped unless you are lucky enough to be near a store that sells it and not many do. On amazon with shipping it comes out to about $6 a bottle I usually get 10 or so bottles at a time.
  • A jar of Blues hog mixed with equal part cider vinegar. People rave over it.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Mayberry said:
    After quite a bit of trial and error, I believe I've found most of the rubs that I really like. What are some of your favorite barbecue sauce, both grocery store available and those that are harder to find? I've been using Sweet Baby Ray's, and it's pretty good. So is Sticky Fingers. I trying Bone Suckin' Sauce next weekend. What are your favorites?
    You have my 3 favs already. SBR, sticky fingers and bone suckin. Bone suckin also comes in Habenero flavour which has a good kick to it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Kinders roasted garlic is my go to sauce.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• I really like Billy Bones products.  Rubs and Sauces.  The only real negative is that you have to buy the sauce by the gallon and rubs by the case.  If you buy it direct anyway.  I believe that there are a few websites that order it by the case and split it up though.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • For my sweet and thick sauces I'm a Sweet Baby Ray's Fan. For the tangy and spicy I'm a Dreamland BBQ Fan. 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Equal parts Orinigal Blues Hog and Head Country.  Nice mix of sweet and smokey.  Having these two, gives me the flexibility for sweet, smokey and combo.  

My local Sams carries the Head Country in gallon jugs for around ten bucks.   Blues Hog I need to mail order, so all together, it's just over twenty bucks a mixed gallon.......

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Salt Lick, Stubbs and Meyer's Elgin Smokehouse (hot) are the three I have in my fridge. Need to try bone sucking and blues. Not a fan of sweet baby rays.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Big Bob Gibson's has a really good sauce.  Not a fan of their BBQ, but the sauce is excellent.  Their White Sauce is good on chicken and turkey too.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • I like Bone Sucking and Stubbs. Haven't tried Blues Hog but sounds like a hit. I like to add a half shot of Jack Daniels Whiskey to my sauces, and brown sugar if I want them sweeter.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    I usually make my own.  Ketchup, Molasses,garlic, onion, cumin, S&P, paprika(whatever kind I have), habeniero, pineapple, lime (zest& juice),  simmer for about 15 min then chop up cilantro and hit it with an immersion blender to desired consistency.

gets lots of compliments.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If I am buying BBQ sauce, I get Sweet Baby Rays(tomato based) or Bessinger's(Mustard - The original - Thomas', not his brother Maurice when I am on my yearly visit to my hometown of Charleston SC). I put Ray's on whatever else and Bessinger's on BBQ. Unless I am doing chopped BBQ, then I have a home-made vinegar-based sauce(white v., AC v., brown sugar and red pepper flakes).
  • Note from Italy: Bill Cannon of Texas BBQ Rub has a recipe with the rub in it that is the best I've ever tasted. If you want, I can post it when I get back.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Charlie Robison's has a hot BBQ sauce that is excellent. 
  • For my sweet and thick sauces I'm a Sweet Baby Ray's Fan. For the tangy and spicy I'm a Dreamland BBQ Fan. 

I'm a big fan of Dreamland BBQ sauce. I like to mix sweet baby ray's with vinegar 50/50 ratio.
    the burg
  • Note from Italy: Bill Cannon of Texas BBQ Rub has a recipe with the rub in it that is the best I've ever tasted. If you want, I can post it when I get back.

Bring it on!!

My wife like SBR so that's what I usually get.  I like Stubbs better.

Flint, Michigan
  • We just found a new one that we really like:  Robert Rothschild Smoked Pineapple Habenero Sauce. 

Here's some recipe examples: 

http://www.robertrothschild.com/recipes/recipe-search-results.aspx?kw=roasted+pineapple

Also, we like Kinders as well (I think this is local to the Bay Area though)?? 

I also recently bought some sauces from Tom Douglass, but haven't tried them yet, so cannot comment on them - only that I enjoy his rubs so thought his sauces would be good as well!! 

And believe it or not, BW's (Buffalo Wild Wings) sauce -  especially their Garlic Parm & I REALLY like their Thai Curry sauce on wings & regular chicken.

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • For brisket, i love a bit of Famous Dave's Devil's Spit. SBR on ribs. Maurice's Piggy Park (South Carolina) mustard sauce on pulled pork
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • One of the best I have ever had is Carnivore Q. Made by an Egghead in GA.

http://www.carnivorebbq.com/

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

With all this talk about sauce I just ordered 3 jars of Blues Hog and a jar of Tennesee Red from Amazon. All four pint jars shipped for $25.

• EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    edited September 2012
    Blues Hog is good. Most of the stores here sell it. Easy to find. Quarts go for $6 and many times on sale for much less. Not expensive at all. Tennessee Red is great on pulled pork.
  • SBR is a good base, great by itself sometimes or tang it up with a touch of vinegar, or zip it up with a touch of pepper sauce.  
    Our latest go to is the great stuff produced by Trilby's in Ferndale Washington. Mild marion berry for pork/chicken and their new chipotle marion berry on chicken (that's all we have had time to try to date)
    It is expensive, but you get what you pay for as most egg owners know. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Sweet Baby Ray's
    Stubbs Sweet Heat
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited September 2012
    Bone Suckin Sauce, Hot

Bonus: they only sell it at the Spec's Liquor Store. (Its the Central Market of liquor stores.)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    @travisstrick - thanks for the heads up. Like I need another reason to stop by there. Need to replenish my supply of Bulleit, so I'll look for it while I'm there. Which Spec's are you going to?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• @Griffin I go to either the new one in Killeen or the one in Temple. It's my all time fav store.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Lot of great recommendations here. I also like Ole Ray's sauces, like the Kentucky Red Bourbon sauce and the Kentucky Gold (mustardo) Bourbon sauce. He has some other interesting flavors too.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• I like Salt Lick BBQ sauce. it's very unique and would be very hard to duplicate.It's soybean oil and vinegar based with no mustard or tomato to it at all. Great for glazing too. 

Or if you are ever in a pinch- make your own in 5 minutes

4 parts ketchup
    1 part mustard
    1 part Worcestershire
    lots of Dizzy Dust (or your favorite rub)
    add dark beer to your consistency/flavor liking (I almost always use coffee stout or coffee porter for redeye bbq sauce, but Guinness, shiner, etc all work great)
    You can also just use coffee (liquid, not grounds) if you aren't into beer, Might have to balance out with a little water if the coffee has a lot of bite. Beer is better though........period

I haven't bought red bbq sauce in years other than to try something here and there. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Blues Hog Tennessee Red, the regular Blues Hog is way too sweet for my liking.

Dinosaur BBQ garlic and honey BBQ sauce is really good as well.

While these two are my favorites, it seems I always have a bottle of Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce in the house as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Sweet Sauce - Blues Hog Original or my go to sauce is Blues Hog Original mixed 50/50 with Sonny's Sweet Sauce. <---that is just good stuff!
    Or Uncle Kenny's Original
    Little spicier - Blues Hog 50/50 mix with Blues Hog TN. Red.
    Mustard based - Uncle Kenny's Honey Mustard or Blues Hog Mustard sauce.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!