Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"00" flour

Hungry Joe
Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone here have a good source for "00" Caputo flour? I made some pizza dough last weekend using some from Tasty Licks BBQ and it was by far the best dough I ever made. The problem is it was something like $18 for 5 lbs by the time shipping was added. Does Trader Joe's or Wegmans carry it? How about Restaurant Supply? I did find a place that will ship it for $2 a pound but I need to buy at least 20lbs. Anyone up for a group buy?

Comments

• In Florida, you can get "Fronte OO Pizza Flour" from Cheney Brothers, Inc. in a 55 pound bag. It is imported from Italy under their own label.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I bought 22 pounds (10 kg) from amazon for $34 plus $10 shipping.  Or something like that.  Search Tipo 00 Caputo.  Funny thing was, it was stuffed into a "if it fits, it ships" box that probably cost $4.  Perfect shape though.
  • 00 flour might not make a revolutionary difference to your dough, I tried it and it was a little different not sure it was better certainly not worth the difference in cost.  I use a high protein bread flour for my normal crust and am pleased with the results.

Gerhard
  • Hungry Joe
    I bought 22 pounds (10 kg) from amazon for $34 plus $10 shipping.  Or something like that.  Search Tipo 00 Caputo.  Funny thing was, it was stuffed into a "if it fits, it ships" box that probably cost $4.  Perfect shape though.
    Which one did you buy? I read a couple of bad reviews which lead me to Tasty Licks. I have dealt with them before and always got treated well. I may just have to buy a 20+ lbs bag. I guess I could freeze it.
  • Bay state Milling has introduced a new American milled OO flour named "Contadino"

You can read about it at:
    http://www.bsm.com/Products/ProductInformation/Contadino.pdf

If you contact the Company they will tell you where you can purchase locally.
  • Hungry Joe
    gerhardk said:
    00 flour might not make a revolutionary difference to your dough, I tried it and it was a little different not sure it was better certainly not worth the difference in cost.  I use a high protein bread flour for my normal crust and am pleased with the results.

Gerhard

Everyone said this was my best yet. I may try the same dough with some good bread flour just to guage the difference. It was by far the easiest to work with, nice and thin and my pies were round for the first time.
  • Hungry Joe
    billybon said:
    Bay state Milling has introduced a new American milled OO flour named "Contadino"

You can read about it at:
    http://www.bsm.com/Products/ProductInformation/Contadino.pdf

If you contact the Company they will tell you where you can purchase locally.
    I will have to check them out, thanks.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Which one did you buy? I read a couple of bad reviews which lead me to Tasty Licks. I have dealt with them before and always got treated well. I may just have to buy a 20+ lbs bag. I guess I could freeze it.
    Antimo Caputo Tipo "00" flour - red bag.  Same stuff Italians make their pizza dough with.
    You could try finding an Italian grocery.  I get mine on the Fashionable East Side of Milwaukee at a family owned Italian grocery store.  I think it was around $9-$10 for a 10 lb bag.  Its a bit out of the way for me but well worth it.
  • I buy mine at tasty licks. We go there about once per month.
  • I got some from amazon. Still haven't used it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • gerhardk said:
    00 flour might not make a revolutionary difference to your dough, I tried it and it was a little different not sure it was better certainly not worth the difference in cost.  I use a high protein bread flour for my normal crust and am pleased with the results.

Gerhard
    @gerharrdk - you aren't a Canuck are you? Canadian bread flour is different than US bread flour, seems to me it is a little finer, and I think it has higher protein, that would make it more like Caputo. For pizza we use Rogers Silver Star, dirt cheap and very good for breads and pizza crusts.
    Good ingredients are wonderful to have and sometimes make the meal, whatever works for you.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I got mine at brickovenpizza.com

Shipping was outrageous.

Tried pizza once, went bad. Certainly not the dough's fault. It was sticky and would NOT slide off the peel. You can imagine the rest. :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• I got mine from here: http://www.fornobravo.com/brick_oven_cooking/pizza_ingredients/flour.html

Came to around $30 dlvd for 5 x 2.2 lb bags.  I'm getting ready to place another order myself.  As for the above, I had the same problem the first time I used the flour, I was also using a metal pizza peel.  I've found a wooden pizza peel w/ cornmeal makes all the difference.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Aviator said:

I got mine at brickovenpizza.com

Shipping was outrageous.

Tried pizza once, went bad. Certainly not the dough's fault. It was sticky and would NOT slide off the peel. You can imagine the rest. :)

I believe that is brickovenbaker.com 
  • @gerharrdk - you aren't a Canuck are you? 
    Yes I am, just north of London Ontario.  Buy my flour at Arva Mills, convenient to me and consistent a product.

Gerhard
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I buy mine at tasty licks. We go there about once per month.
    I went the amazon route last week and only got 2 2.2 lb bags. It cost about the same to ship as the flour. But we were just testing it out so didn't want to buy anymore than that. Now that we liked it much better than King Arthur Bread Flour I will probably order from Tasty Licks and just get a bunch of rubs to try out as well. Still trying to find some in the Oklahoma City Area. Anyone tried King Arthur Italian Style? They say its similar and I might be able to talk a local place into carrying it but if I need to order I'll just use Caputo 00. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • turok
    turok Posts: 28
    Yes. Wegmans does carry the 00 flour. I have seen it in the italian aisle. Not all of them have it I have noticed or they were out when I looked. Its like 2.99 for a 1000g sack.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I got mine from a local neopolitan pizza restaurant. $45 for a 50 lb bag of blue bag "pizzeria" caputo. The difference between Caputo and bread flour is evident through the entire process right through cooking. It hydrates differently, the developed dough feels different, and it most certainly browns very differently since it is a non-malted flour. If you're not cooking at nuclear temps then an American version of a "00" might actually be a better option since it will almost certainly be a malted flour. The Caputo will not brown properly at lower temps, and a malted American flour will brown way too much if the temps are too high. 
    XL BGE
  • The Caputo "00" flour works well if you use the right ratio of sugar, salt, yeast and oil.  Instead of sugar I use powdered milk which has lactose, a milk sugar.  I cook my pizzas anywhere from 10-12 minutes @ 500 and the crust is perfect.  I have done thin crust as well, but they are not a favorite in our house.  I also mix Caputo 1 to 1 with King Arthur Bread Flour in the blue bag.  I am very pleased with that recipe as well.  There is an Italian Deli in Wilmington that stocks Caputo in 1 kilogram bags for $3.99. I have ordered 4 bags from Amazon that are reasonable  I paid about $23 including shipping.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Hey Aviator, I had that problem on my first pizza, stuck to the peel. Try letting the dough dry out a little on the suface. My third pizza came out great, it is worth it to keep trying.
    LBGE
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Just bought some more 00 tonight, I love it I have followed Jamie olivers recipe from the start and every pizza has been perfect since day one, I only cook them at 500-550 though and watch it constantly.