Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE deep dish pizza stone

flmtrain
flmtrain Posts: 15
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello, hope everyone had a great summer of BGE cooking. Finally after months on back order, my BGE deep dish pizza stone came in. I am picking it up later today and started thinking about what to use it for first. Does any one have any great recipes using the BGE deep dish stone? When making pizza on my standard stone, you put the stone on the grill to heat it up before putting your pizza on it to bake but how do you do this with the deep dish? Wouldn't I have to built the deep dish pizza in the stone then put it on the grill but then the dough will stick. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Frank

Comments

• http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143101/deep-dish-pizza-stone#latest ......try this for starters. We just bought one but haven't used it yet.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    parchment paper
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    never used the bge pan  but have made plenty of deep dish pies in my paella pan. bottom crust goes in the pan and is precooked a bit then everything else goes in for further cooking. i cooked these at much lower temps than a traditional pie as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    On my list of things to buy.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @vidalia1 has one that looks really good but I haven't tried it yet..

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092

Flm,

I have the BGE deep dish pan and I use it regularly for my deep dish pies. Thanks to Solson for posting the recipe...No you do not heat the stone up first. You rub the pan with Crisco if you want an authentic Chicago style pie. You then put the dough in the pan. This dough will not stick. It is an oily dough and if anything you will have trouble keeping it from running back in the pan. Just keep working it with your fingers and get the crust over the edge of the pan. Keep cutting off little pieces until you have the dough up the edge of the pizza stone.

The BGE stone, Crisco & dough make for authentic style Chicago Deep Dish pie... good luck and let me know if you have any questions...

• vidalia1 said:

Flm,

I have the BGE deep dish pan and I use it regularly for my deep dish pies. Thanks to Solson for posting the recipe...No you do not heat the stone up first. You rub the pan with Crisco if you want an authentic Chicago style pie. You then put the dough in the pan. This dough will not stick. It is an oily dough and if anything you will have trouble keeping it from running back in the pan. Just keep working it with your fingers and get the crust over the edge of the pan. Keep cutting off little pieces until you have the dough up the edge of the pizza stone.

The BGE stone, Crisco & dough make for authentic style Chicago Deep Dish pie... good luck and let me know if you have any questions...

great advice here, the dough has more oil, and the pan is greased, love that trans-fat. 
    Two things to remember: Cook at lower temp than regular pies, more like 375 to 400. Keep the crust edge thin, Pizza dough will puff up and because the cook is going to be 25 to 35 minutes, it will bloom if you let it. 
    First few times, I rolled the pan and crust only into the egg to firm it, but it much harder to work with if you do that, now I just build it all in the pan. I use a Pampered Chef pie pan, as the heat is no more than an oven, have had no trouble , yet.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Sgt93
    It takes all the great Chicago pizza places around 50 minutes to make their works of art. 
  • I sure miss Giordano's Stuffed Pizza since moving to the Ozarks. Haven't been able to get up that way for a while now but when I did it was one of the first places I hit. The difference in the stuffed and the deep dish is that the stuffed has all the ingredients that you want in the pizza under a top crust that has slits in it and carries the sauce. Awesome pizza to say the least. I ordered two Sausage Pizza from there for my wife for our anniversary once. They come frozen and you just back them yourself.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    This was as close to Giordano's or Lou Malnati's deep dish as you can get

Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2012
    Sgt93 said:
    It takes all the great Chicago pizza places around 50 minutes to make their works of art. 
    @Sgt93 you are so right, deep dish takes anywhere from 40 to 60 minutes, depending on filling and size. In my post above I meant 25 to 35 minutes longer than a regular pie - thanks for jogging my mind...
    Lived in Chicagoland 1977-79, at least twice a month we had to eat at one of the Rosati family places. Not sure what they are like now as it has been franchised.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 said:
    @Sgt93 you are so right, deep dish takes anywhere from 40 to 60 minutes, depending on filling and size. In my post above I meant 25 to 35 minutes longer than a regular pie - thanks for jogging my mind...
    Lived in Chicagoland 1977-79, at least twice a month we had to eat at one of the Rosati family places. Not sure what they are like now as it has been franchised.
    I wasn't questioning or challenging you for FYI. I was just referring to the fact I eat WAY TOO MUCH Chicago pizza :))  The time is normally around 50-55 minutes from initial order to first bite in my stomach :)
  • 2SCdoodlegg
    2SCdoodlegg Posts: 92
    edited September 2012
    I just bought a deep dish stone as well, and I did my first cook in it last weekend.  Here is the link for the photos.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1229473/#Comment_1229473

I used the Uno Chicago Pizza recipe for the dough.

http://www.unos.com/about/press/2009/0109_1.html

And I used a recipe from Necessary Indulgences for a meat pizza.  It turned out well, although I forgot to grease the pan well as suggested above.  I will definitely do that next time. 

I attached a PDF file of page 1 of the recipe booklet from Uno Chicago Pizza.  Also, since the BGE Pizza stone is so large I doubled the dough recipe.  Not sure whether I should have done that or not, but wanted more than enough dough to fill the deep dish.
    1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!