Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stike Banned?

Fred19Flintstone
Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was looking at a bookmarked discussion & noticed Stike's thumbnail is gone & replaced by a circle with a slash through it.  So I clicked on Stike and it says he's banned!  What's up with that?  He's knowledgable about BGE and I've learned a thing or two from him.  I'll miss his posts. 
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2012
    This is a bunch of garbage if you ask me.  Stike added a lot to our forum.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I checked in quick before putting dinner on the egg tonight to get some info and came across a thread where someone said they liked Stike and the thread got pretty nasty. I don't know if it was recent or something old I dug up searching for info but I had to continue my search and get dinner on. Later I tried to find the thread and could not and same as Fred Flint... went to Stike and saw the big red banned flag flying. It's too bad people get caught up and heated. Everyone is different and these posts shouldn't be taken so seriously (IMO). Whatever happened, whatever some may have thought about him... he has some great insight and cool posts. Another thread had hints sounding like someone else had recently been banned but not sure who or if I misunderstood the post. Maybe he will be back under a different name
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Don't get it. Why?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I caught a thread between him and Rubmyrock this afternoon that got pretty nasty.  It is now gone.  I believe it was "Low and slow temp"  but not 100% sure.  Rubmyrock is also banned.  Stike was the first to answer the very first post I made on this forum, and I still follow the advice he gave and my pulled pork is all the better because of it.  .  
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2012
    Stike might just be provisionally banned.  He obviously knows people in HQ.  Then again, I haven't been on here long enough to know if this has happened before, or the protocol for when it does. 

Three things for sure: he knows his BBQ and meat science and he'll be back.
    Three things for sure: he knows his BBQ and meat science and he'll be back.
    Methinks he already is... 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Stike may be banned but there is a new guy who claims to be from the UK that's been posting a lot today that seems to know a lot maybe it's his long lost cousin...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Say it ain't so. Too much traveling and not enough lurking, I missed the post that " broke the camels back", so to speak. Been following his post for over 5years, lots of good info and knowledge , he will be back.....if not already
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    I learned a lot from Stike--Thanks.
  • I saw the thread before it was pulled.  Neither side is entirely blameless, but I was surprised at the level of anger.  The insults took me on a trip down memory lane to my middle school days.  Its a shame because one of them added a lot to the forum. 
    Mamaroneck
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2012

missed the low and slow thread, thought they were just messin' around with each other in the likey the stikey post. 

don't fret, he will be back.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

I see him posting still (at least under 2 names i think)  He should come back as Strike or Strickey or Stikey or Stikeman!  He adds alot to this forum and has a huge amount of knowledge.  Nobody can dispute how much knowledge he brings to the BGE table.  People need to learn to accept people for who they are, on both sides of the coin.  If you don't like somebodies opinions, you don't have to read them.  Just like TV, change the channel!

Carry on!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Beyond the low and slow thread there was another titled "me likey the stikey" that was kind of a response to low and slow with all the Stike-bashing by Rubmyrock. Basically rub was attacking Stike and anyone who defended him with pretty nasty insults, especially by this forums standard. The me likey thread, last I saw, had no post by Stike but a lot by Rubmyrock and was a couple pages last I saw. Rubmyrock supposedly sent a few emails reporting Stike and claimed many members on this forum sent him PMs that they also hated Stike.
    Boom
  • ccpoulin1
    too bad........I think everyone has experiences to add to this forum, but getting personal, petty or badgering can not be tolerated.  We live in a land that believes in free speech, but with that freedom comes a responsibility.  Hating (and that is a strong word) is not a reason to remove somebody from here or anywhere else.

• Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Stike jumped right in on some of my obvious new guy questions and helped me greatly, as I have seen him do many times with others.  This guy is obviously a huge asset to this forum and the art of egging on many levels including some just plain ole' funny stuff.  I sincerely hope he does not have to come back here permanently under some other name.

I was following the low and slow thread and it escalated to a high degree of ugliness.  It seemed to me that Rubmyrock was by far taking the lowest road though.  I wanted to report him but did not spend enough time figuring out how.  Let's hope he is gone for good...his behavior and attitude rubbed me the wrong way starting fairly early on.

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Rubmyrock got way out of hand and not a surprise he was banned. It went well beyond general disagreement. However as mentioned Stike was not blameless in this as he continued to fuel the fires and it got really ugly. Stike will be missed though as he added a tremendous amount of value to this forum.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99

It is too bad it escalated to the point of people being banned. In my words with stike, we never came to a neutral ground. I ended up agreeing to disagree, before it took the low road.

Rubmyrock definately used some languauge not appropriate for a public forum. However stike has the ability to needle people.  I don't like people here painting him as a saint. He has vast knowledge of the egg and cooking and probably was one of the most active posters on this forum. When you post that much, you probably are going to have someone who does not like your opinion. Better have thick skin.

As far as administrators for this forum,  I used d a m n and it came out on my post as $#&$. Would be ok if modifying a forum for 1st grade.  Tried to make something out of nothing. See far worse words here on a regular basis.

I believe rubmyrock went over the line and agree with his ban, but he did not go there without help.  Never fear stike followers, he is back. 

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    NO!!!! With less than a year at the Egg, his comments helped me greatly. I am truly sorry about this. Surely some justification should be posted by the mods.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Beyond the low and slow thread there was another titled "me likey the stikey" that was kind of a response to low and slow with all the Stike-bashing by Rubmyrock. Basically rub was attacking Stike and anyone who defended him with pretty nasty insults, especially by this forums standard. The me likey thread, last I saw, had no post by Stike but a lot by Rubmyrock and was a couple pages last I saw. Rubmyrock supposedly sent a few emails reporting Stike and claimed many members on this forum sent him PMs that they also hated Stike.

Yes, that is the thread I caught but when I got to sit down to read it... poof, gone! I'm glad Stike didn't respond. Stike? O,Stike??? If you are here... Way to take the high road
  • I have noticed there have been more nasty comments as of late. I have not been on this site long but I was always pleased with the helpful comments. I hope the forum returns to the civil forum it has been and is.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2012
    I personally never liked rock...and I'm not surprised he blew up as he showed in many previous posts that he was quick tempered. Mainly, I hated that he tried very hard to come across as intelligent and that's likely overcompensation for his proclaimed meathead status. While I don't believe he powerlifted for USA, I do believe he used PEDs. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I tuned into the likey the stikey and made the first comment before understanding why it was posted, or what it was in response to. I was reading a little more and it seems as though there was animosity from quite a few posts, and it branched out to more than just two forum members.

I am a very sarcastic person and it reflects in my humor. I find sarcasm very funny and I really enjoy giving and receiving a good sarcastic beat down. That's why I  don't feel threatened by negativity, and that is also why I enjoy some of the nonsense that occurs here. Internet/forum humor can be tricky business and some folks don't see a joke as funny but as an insult.

So like/dislike love/hate... Who cares? Lets get back to making food. For all we know, with all of the members that have multiple handles that come and go with the arguments, some of the nonsense could be staged for personal amusement.

Stike does add alot of useful info as well as some very funny jokes.

IMO everyone here that posts in regard to egging has something of value to contribute, even if it's only a simple question that benefits others when answered.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @Brownie well said . this is supposed to be fun above all else .Sadly infliction is lost in text a few well placed lol and   :))  helps to avoid all this nonsense 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    ccpoulin1 said:

I see him posting still (at least under 2 names i think)  He should come back as Strike or Strickey or Stikey or Stikeman!  He adds alot to this forum and has a huge amount of knowledge.  Nobody can dispute how much knowledge he brings to the BGE table.  People need to learn to accept people for who they are, on both sides of the coin.  If you don't like somebodies opinions, you don't have to read them.  Just like TV, change the channel!

Carry on!

quit posting here your pissing me off. With that said come on over and have a cold one and some q :)
    H
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    DDam phone quoted wrong post
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @rontho its always the tools fault never the operator  =)=)) =))
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Hope stike comes back. He has helped me as a new egger, the guy knows his stuff, and IMO he was willing to come along side a newbie, and give them information to better their skills.
    COME ON BACK STIKE, you added a lot to the forum.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    rontho said:
    DDam phone quoted wrong post
    Funny on multiple levels, but who is making you angry?
  • ccpoulin1
    bigphil said:
    @rontho its always the tools fault never the operator  =)=)) =))

+10 (binary)  8-}

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Just curious, did anyone besides Stike and Rubmyrock get banned?
    Boom