Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Civil unrest

2»

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Well no political party has been discussed, so no politics. More governmental. And so far no feelings hurt, no attacks, no one really putting personal feelings out. Based on what's been posted I don't think anyone can really guess the political beliefs of any of the users so far. My reasoning for posting, especially after I acknowledged the link I posted was off base, was really more to see IF anything happened if anyone was prepared at some level to live without assistance.
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    chuff said:

twlangan said:
    Snopes is a joke - and has been proven many times to be politically slanted.
    Well, back up that statement with some references.   Where has it proven to be politically slanted?  And "I read it on the internet" doesn't mean it's a fact.  Has to be a credible source.

"Snopes receives more complaints of liberal than conservative bias,[26] but insists that it applies the same debunking standards to all political urban legends. FactCheck reviewed a sample of Snopes' responses to political rumors regarding George W. Bush, Sarah Palin and Barack Obama, and found them to be free from bias in all cases. FactCheck noted that Barbara Mikkelson was a Canadian citizen (and thus unable to vote in US elections) and David Mikkelson was an independent who was once registered as a Republican. "You’d be hard-pressed to find two more apolitical people," David Mikkelson told them.[26][27]"

+1

I've never seen any credible evidence that Snopes had any political intent or bias. If people dislike Snopes it's most often because the site has proven the crap they send out in scare emails is just that - crap. 
    + 1 Billion to the billionth power

twlangan said:
    Snopes is a joke - and has been proven many times to be politically slanted.
    Well, back up that statement with some references.   Where has it proven to be politically slanted?  And "I read it on the internet" doesn't mean it's a fact.  Has to be a credible source.

"Snopes receives more complaints of liberal than conservative bias,[26] but insists that it applies the same debunking standards to all political urban legends. FactCheck reviewed a sample of Snopes' responses to political rumors regarding George W. Bush, Sarah Palin and Barack Obama, and found them to be free from bias in all cases. FactCheck noted that Barbara Mikkelson was a Canadian citizen (and thus unable to vote in US elections) and David Mikkelson was an independent who was once registered as a Republican. "You’d be hard-pressed to find two more apolitical people," David Mikkelson told them.[26][27]"

+1

I've never seen any credible evidence that Snopes had any political intent or bias. If people dislike Snopes it's most often because the site has proven the crap they send out in scare emails is just that - crap. 
    If Canadians could vote in your elections nobody but the criminals would have ammo
    :D
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited August 2012
    Good stuff guys.
    Boom
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Outcast said:
    Just not any ammo.

Hollow point bullets.

Some say they need this ammo for practice.

You don't practice with hollow points.

They are expensive.

You practice with cheaper ammunition.

That's my point of view what's yours?"
    Sorry, but that is flat out wrong.  Federal LEO's carry that ammunition in their sidearms.  You train with the ammunition you carry.  Its a simple proven concept, you train the way the way you fight.  When we trained LEOs whether Federal or locals we had them firing several hundred rounds daily.  Bulk ammo purchases are nothing new. 

Back to BBQ now ?

True, but even a recently retired FBI agent I used to shoot with used FMJ for target shooting...and it was FBI-supplied ammo.  But, if someone else (the tax payers) is paying, there's certainly nothing (other than the cost) wrong with using premium JHP ammo for target practice.
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    The vicious cycle repeats itself:

I espy yet another insipid Dungeons 'n Dragons thread started by this loner basement-dwelling loser who wouldn't know a green egg if it did indeed hit him in the ass and automatically feel disgusted and repulsed. I then, despite my prior vow not to waste my time on inanities such as this, open the thread and read for perhaps ten seconds, scanning this abortion of a post and recoil in complete dismay. WHY, once again, have I wasted ten seconds of my life probing into total garbage, the ramblings of a madman whom I wouldn't even speak to in public? There's no information in this drivel, there's no humor, there's no elegiac writing, there's no provocative concepts - there's simply no THERE there. I then repeat my vow to ignore these pointless, confused, ill-informed ramblings of a lunatic. This is indeed like watching a slow motion train wreck, a pointless waste of time. No more.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    "There's no information in this drivel, there's no humor, there's no elegiac writing, there's no provocative concepts "

some could say you just described most of your own posts :)
    when have you been 'elegiac', 'provocative', ?

ease off ,man.
    wtf?

espy/insipid/dismay/elegiac/recoil/prior/indeed  ..where's the "methinks" and "alas"?  sounds like weepy preteen poetry

such purple prose.   the "ramblings of a madman".
    if it is satire, it's genius.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012

• Rubmyrock
    Satire and understood as such by all but the Neanderthals among us...
  • nolaegghead
    I was on my way to the post office to pick up my case of free M&M's
    (sent to me because I forwarded an e-mail to five other people,
    celebrating the fact that the year 2000 is "MM" in Roman numerals), when
    I ran into a friend whose neighbor, a young man, was home recovering
    from having been served a rat in his bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken
    (which is predictable, since as everyone knows, there's no actual
    chicken in Kentucky Fried Chicken, which is why the government made them
    change their name to KFC).

Anyway, one day this guy went to sleep and when he awoke he was in his
    bathtub and it was full of ice and he was sore all over and when he got
    out of the tub he realized that HIS KIDNEYS HAD BEEN STOLEN.  He saw a
    note on his mirror that said "Call 911!" but he was afraid to use his
    phone because it was connected to his computer, and there was a virus on
    his computer that would destroy his hard drive if he opened e-mail
    entitled "Join the Crew!"

He knew it wasn't a hoax because he himself was a computer programmer
    who was working on software to prevent a global disaster in which all
    the computers get together and distribute the $250.00 Neiman-Marcus
    cookie recipe under the leadership of Bill Gates.  (It's true - I read
    it all last week in a mass e-mail from BILL GATES HIMSELF, who was also
    promising me a free Disney World vacation and $5,000 if I would forward
    the e-mail to everyone I know.)

The poor man then tried to call 911 from a pay phone to report his
    missing kidneys, but a voice on the line first asked him to press #90,
    which unwittingly gave the bandit full access to the phone line at the
    guy's expense.  Then reaching into the coin-return slot, he got jabbed
    with an  HIV-infected needle around which was wrapped a note that said,
    "Welcome to the world of AIDS."

Luckily he was only a few blocks from the hospital - the one where that
    little boy who is dying of cancer is, the one whose last wish is for
    everyone in the world to send him an e-mail and the American Cancer
    Society and an anonymous billionaire have agreed to pay him a nickel for
    every e-mail he receives.  I sent him two e-mails and one of them was a
    bunch of X's and O's in the shape of an angel (if you get it and forward
    it to more than 10 people, you will have good luck but for 10 people
    only you will only have OK luck and if you send it to fewer than 10
    people you will have BAD LUCK FOR SEVEN YEARS).

So anyway the poor guy tried to drive himself to the hospital but he was
    running low on gas because it was Tuesday and he was punishing his local
    service station as part of the GREAT GAS OUT by waiting till Thursday to
    fill his tank.  On the way he noticed another car driving without its
    lights on.  To be helpful, he flashed his lights at him and was promptly
    shot as part of a gang initiation.

Send THIS to all the your friends you will receive 4 green M&Ms and a
    little man will dance the Macarena on your computer screen.  If you
    don't, you will get sick from the Sodium Laureth Sulfate in your
    shampoo, your  spouse/mate will develop a skin rash from using the
    antiperspirant which clogs the pores under your arms, water heated in
    your microwave will explode in your face, and the U.S. government will
    put a tax on your e-mails forever.

I know this is all true 'cause I read it on the Internet.

'neanderthals'.  interesting choice of word.

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    You're mostly spot on @nolaegghead but I do need to point out a few errors.

1. There is most definitely chicken in KFC chicken. I know this because I used to deliver food to a couple of KFC restaurants (mostly cabbage and such) and had to put their orders in their walk-in coolers. The unbelievably awful smell in those walk-ins could only be rotting chicken. I have many memories of trying my damndest to hold my breath the whole time I was in there emerging from those coolers fighting off the dry heaves with all of my power when my breath holding powers failed me. This is a 100% true story. It is also the reason that I have not touched food from a KFC in more than 17 years and is probably responsible for my aversion to the smell of raw chicken. 

2. Those Nieman-Marcus cookies are fantastic. I haven't tried the red velvet cake from the older story.

3. I forwarded the story as instructed but the M&Ms I received were red. Now I'm freaking out and I'm too afraid to shower or go outside. Am I overreacting? If I was in danger I'd have received no M&Ms at all, right? Please advise soonest. I need to get out there because I should be receiving a very large check from an African prince any day now, so obviously I need to check my mail. 
    XL BGE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I am a very sick little boy. My mother is typing this for me, because I can't. She is crying. Don't cry, Mommy! Mommy is always sad, but she says it's not my fault. I asked her if it was God's fault, but she didn't answer, and only started crying harder, so I don't ask her that anymore. The reason she is so sad is that I'm so sick. I was born without a body. It doesn't hurt, except when I go to sleep. The doctors gave me an artificial body. My body is a burlap bag filled with leaves. The doctors said that was the best they could do on account of us havin' no money or insurance. I would like to have a body transplant, but we need more money. Mommy doesn't work because she said employers don't hire crying people. I said, "Don't cry, Mommy," and she hugged my burlap body. Mommy always gives me hugs, even though she's allergic to burlap, and it chafes her real bad. I hope you will help me. You can help me if you forward this e-mail. Dr. Johansen said if you foward this e-mail then Bill Gates will team up with AOL and do a survey with NASA. Then the astronauts will collect prayers from school children all over America and take them up to space so that the angels can hear them better. Then they will go to the Pope, and he will take up a collection in church and send the money to the doctors. The doctors could help me better then. Maybe one day I will be able to play baseball. Or maybe just use my lungs and heart, when the doctors make them. The doctors said that every time you foward this letter, the astronauts can take another prayer to the angels. Please help me. Mommy is so sad, and I want a body. I don't want my leaves to rot before I turn 10. If you don't foward this e-mail, that's OK. Mommy says you're a mean heartless person who doesn't care about a poor little boy with only a head. She says that she hopes that you stew in the raw pit of your own guilt-ridden stomach. What kind of wretched person are you that you can't take five lousy minutes to forward this to all your friends so that they can feel guilt and shame for the rest of their day, and then maybe help a poor, bodiless nine-year-old boy? Please help me. This really sucks. I try to be happy but it's hard. I wish I had a puppy. I wish I could hold a puppy. Thank You. Billy 'Smiles' Evans, The boy with just a head. And a burlap sack for a body.
    heheh...@chuff - Funny, the GM at the office ordered lunch for the lab.  I'm just a corporate guy with an office at the local lab (I refuse to leave New Orleans for Minneapolis), but I help them out enough to take advantage of a free lunch.  Anyway, someone decided to order from KFC.  I was a whining, complaining sarcastic ass...all in good fun, but I seriously hate that swill. I did eat some of it, and it reaffirmed my personal boycott of their food.  Haven't eaten at a Micky D's either in at least 10 years because the food is sugar/fat/salt kiddie crack and the thought of that clown makes me want to binge drink bourbon for 7 days straight.

Red M&Ms?!  If they were peanut, I heard the DARPA ordered  3.3 million red peanut M&Ms. Why would they do that?  I mean, peanut M&Ms cost way more than regular M&Ms. Waste of taxpayer money.  And what are they going to do with them - could it be they're worried about civil unrest when they cutback on Medicare allergy clinics?  There are about 3.3 million Americans with nut allergies.  Every one of those nuts has an American's name on it.   They won't think twice about exterminating red blooded Americans if they feel threatened by Freedom loving allergenic patriots.  Each one of those antigen nuts has an American's name on it.  I don't understand why the drive-by media is ignoring these FACTS.  You can look it up.  It's true. All of it. 
    @tjcoley - I'm sorry little burlap leaf sack kid.  But mommy drinks because you cry!!
    :((
    EVEN IF  his Tinkerbell fantasies had any gravitas, the absolutely horrific manner in which he attempts to advance his contentions creates the aura of a Conspiracy Theory nutjob. Is a forum dedicated to all things Egghead really the place for such nonsense??? Style trumps substance, and his style is that of a passionate but effete lunatic.  

His over the top fruitcake presentation is a universal turnoff to those doing drive-bys in hopes of creating the perfect pork loin.  No one has any interest in exchanging views with a masturbatory schizoid.  He's impotent, stupid, and apparently took a wrong turn somewhere.
  • Rubmyrock
    stike said:

'neanderthals'.  interesting choice of word.

Its getting so that you take a worthy swipe at some clueless toerag like Fanoffanboy, only to get a PM from Stike asking you to cease and desist humiliating its boyfriend. Geez!!!
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Here comes my favorite ITG pic of all-time:

But this one is a close second:

Oh man - it hurts to laugh this hard. Thanks guys...been a long day. Every time I google internet tough guy I always see a new favorite that makes me cry laughing.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Rubmyrock, I see reading is not one of your strengths. Why not read my other post? Where I admitted what I posted was wrong? Where my main reason for posting was not for any Internet conspiracy. I never forward or partake in chain letters. I just happened to see this same info in a few places and thought was interesting. Other members pointed out was not unusual and explained the reasoning behind ammo purchase. Doc eggerton gave much more eloquent response which I agreed with. So you jump in at the end of a thread after everything was done and like to address only the original post? You're so cool.
    Boom
  • Rubmyrock
    Sorry, I only had the stamina to wade through you initial submission. Which by the way was a pluperfect cure for my insomnia.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Rubmyrock said:
    The vicious cycle repeats itself: I espy yet another insipid Dungeons 'n Dragons thread started by this loner basement-dwelling loser who wouldn't know a green egg if it did indeed hit him in the ass and automatically feel disgusted and repulsed. I then, despite my prior vow not to waste my time on inanities such as this, open the thread and read for perhaps ten seconds, scanning this abortion of a post and recoil in complete dismay. WHY, once again, have I wasted ten seconds of my life probing into total garbage, the ramblings of a madman whom I wouldn't even speak to in public? There's no information in this drivel, there's no humor, there's no elegiac writing, there's no provocative concepts - there's simply no THERE there. I then repeat my vow to ignore these pointless, confused, ill-informed ramblings of a lunatic. This is indeed like watching a slow motion train wreck, a pointless waste of time. No more.

Married. With a kid. Most houses in SC, including mine which I own, do not have basements. Never played D&D in my life. Did go to college on a wrestling and XC scholarship. Lean 133lb weight class. And you spent 10 seconds reading, wanted everyone here to know that, but spent how much typing a response? And then ended with "no more" yet posted 4 more times on same thread? Certainly proving how "above" this you really are
    Boom
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Wow, This could have been yesterday. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • This really did use to be a much friendlier place...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    This really did use to be a much friendlier place...
    People keep saying that, but I dunno, man....
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    :lol:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure